CVT transmission

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by cousinpaul, Oct 17, 2020 at 11:38 AM.

1. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Still got my 2014 Prius with 100k and my sons Nissan has almost 209k. Same here. Zero issues.

Harry Styron likes this.
  2. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

The Prius thing is a different principle, though. You’ve got the electric traction motor and the gas engine each driving different elements of a planetary gear set, with the computer juggling parameters to keep both operating in their respective happy zones. That setup is completely governed by computer management of current fed to the traction motor and simultaneous management of a drive-by-wire Miller cycle gas engine.

It does work so well as to be completely background; a non-issue. You could even call it a non-feature. It takes about five minutes in a Prius to quit oohing and aahing over the novel drivetrain, and most of that is just getting used to the engine switching on and off when It’s warmed up and you‘Re off the gas.

We have a 2012 with 265K on it and a 2017 with about 75K on it. Dead-solid little vehicles.

Stubee, RomanS, Harry Styron and 2 others like this.
  3. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Except for in California where there are six American cars total , does anyone Else remember those first generation Focus’s that they brought over here from somewhere ?

Bulletproof - there’s still a ton of them on the road. Great cars.

The second generation though?

Garbage. (Also - A sled has better traction in the snow.)

I think they still make them or they just stopped. We had one with a CVT and that SOB went out at 40,000 miles.

right in the middle of historic Woodward avenue on the way home from America’s Thanksgiving day parade.

The second the dealer fixed it under warranty - we sold it.

My mechanic who knows everything about every vehicle called it a snowmobile transmission

He laughed and laughed and said oh you don’t want one of those ...he he he... you don’t want one of those...

4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

The Prius planetary gear set is to accommodate the two drive systems. It ain't cheap - the opposite but needed on hybrid drive systems where the electric motor drives the car parttime. Chevy Volts have a similar deal.

CVTs are cheap, which is why makers love 'em. Hence, despite smoothness you don't find them in prestige or performance motors.

Like anything, early ones are not so good. I know two people with the new body shape Corolla with them and both failed just outside warranty. Conventional torque converter transmissions are more expensive and heavier, pays your money, takes your choice. I hate CVTs, personally.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020 at 9:52 PM
    mexicanyella likes this.
  5. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

Sheeeew, I like manual shifts and glass packs, if I’m being honest. But I drive a quiet, polite automatic Grand Caravan (190K, hang in there, Mr. Tranny!)

My wife is disgusted by how much I enjoy running errands in our ratty-ass Toyota T-100 farm truck. She says I have some kind of macho compensatory compulsion going on there.

I like shifting the damn gears myself, and listening to my custom low-buck homemade exhaust system, is what’s going on! I’d say less macho and more nerdy, really.

I’m misunderstood, basically.

6. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Wife’s 2015 Forester has a CVT. She’s currently at 125k. I hate the way it drives, but I have to give credit where it’s due- the tranny is about the only part of the car we HAVEN’T had a problem with.

mexicanyella likes this.
  7. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

My 2017 Corolla iM just crossed 35k. No issues. No balls, but smooth as glass and great mileage. Hard to argue with that in a day to day driver.

There are probably millions of CVTs on the road now. If they were a problem, I think we’d have heard more about it.

8. Brendan

Brendan Tele-Holic

A family member has a Mini with a failing CVT. 8K to replace, I hear. It still limps along. I wouldn't trust domestic product with a CVT. Honda or Toyota, maybe.

9. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Tele-Meister

My last car was a Nissan with CVT. Best transmission I've had. No issues and, like most internet reporting, if there were so many issues they wouldn't make them.

10. TIM5150

TIM5150 TDPRI Member

We have a 2012 Nissan Juke and just recently traded in a 2011 Altima for a 2020 Sentra. Never had any tranny issues or any issues for that matter.

11. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

:^)

Takata, anyone?

12. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

[​IMG]
    my wife had a very old DAF for a while. It was fun. It tended to jump a bit when engaging forward or reverse. I used to enjoy watching from the upstairs window when she left for work in the mornings. It was always thrilling to see her come out of the parking place without doing too much damage.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  13. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Just a program note...Subaru's CVT doesn't use belts. It uses a chain which is a major design difference from most other VCTs. Subaru builds their own CVTs, too. While CVTs are more complex, when combined with good software, they are better for optimizing performance and fuel economy. It may even sound counter-intuitive, but there are many situations where a CVT system will use higher RPM on the engine because that burns less fuel than lugging it at a lower ratio will.

IMadeYouReadThis likes this.
  14. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Having done a nearly 3 year project in a major insurance company, my guess is few. For bout a year my hands on team in top tier support and an implementation group I supervised served the actuary department. I learned they're always looking for patterns that might expose problems and increased risk. Associates still in that insurance company say the process is more sophisticated than ever.

For the rest, our 2013 Subaru with CVT has been about as good as a car can get. Friends with 2010 that are first year with CVT have high milage now without problems. Where I work the few CVTs in company owned vehicles seem fine.

Driving the CVTs cars reminds me of the hydrostatic transmissions/drivetrains some of our vehicle have at the ski area.

Complaining is probably exercise in futility. My cousin in large multi-franchise dealer service management says the stats show them as reliable. My brother has same car with a manual transmission. Overall it can't ever beat the MPG mine gets for general metro area driving. Subaru recently introduce a new generation and platform still going with CVT. I'm sure they would not have done that if a decade of experience was showing significant problems.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  15. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

I've heard Subaru's CVT transmissions are very nice--much better than their traditional automatics. They use chains instead of rubber belts, so they should last quite some time. Either way, nothing beats a manual. ;)

EDIT: I guess Jim_in_PA beat me to it. Oh well.

Jim_in_PA and Toto'sDad like this.
  16. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Last drove one way back in the 70s, it was a Daf, later bought buy Volvo. Sounded like a sewing machine with the belt slipping, went like one too. Only cool thing was that the system just turned the wheels in the opposite direction to make it go backwards. Though the acceleration was nothing to write home about (0-60 in about 12 seconds I think), it went exactly the same speed in reverse, which was very interesting!

To be fair, they’ve probably come on a lot since then but I’ve heard more don’t like them than do.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 12:17 PM
    boris bubbanov likes this.
  17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The single most critical thing, besides collision safety, IMO is keeping the driver engaged and invested in the driving process.

When we make the move to vehicles with air bags and automatic climate control and non manual transmissions and drive by wire and no manual chokes and power steering with no feel, we gain something but we also lose something. The driver is less and less in charge and senses his responsibility is less and less until soon it will be close to zero.

I don't think this is an entirely good things. People NEED to work and people need to have a sense they contribute something to the world around them. We keep stripping away all the "struggle" of getting 600 miles down the road and we take all the entertainment out of a job well done. I don't need all the things I described above in "primitive" form - but I would like a few please.

Let's say a woman has reached the age of 37 and has decided not to have children after all. Should she get a new partner and trade in the old one that's pestering her for romance? That's the way I see a motor vehicle with CVT. It is the automotive equivalent of a sexless marriage.

18. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

The wife's Subaru Levorg (think WRX wagon) is CVT. I was wary but it's actually just like driving an auto, complete with simulated gear shifts. It helps that the thing is a little rocket.

imwjl likes this.
  19. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

I got my 2011 Outback new with a CVT, haven't had a lick of trouble with it or anything else. I picked the CVT because it actually got better gas mileage than the manual, which was still available at the time. Do I wish I had gotten the stick? Why, yes I do.

20. drumtime

drumtime Tele-Holic

Now driving a Prius with a CVT. I was ready for an automatic after 12 years of driving a manual. I find no difference in the driving experience between a regular automatic and a CVT, other than the lack of shifting, which actually makes it a bit smoother. Living in the mountains, with lots of curvy roads, the CVT is better IMO because it isn't always searching for the right gear. It only takes a short while to get used to the higher RPM thing.

Priuses (Prii?) seem to be very reliable, for a very long time - anything that can be used as a cab in NYC has to be pretty rugged, and they've become ubiquitous in that application. I haven't heard anything about any problems with the CVT.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.