CVT transmission

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by cousinpaul, Oct 17, 2020 at 11:38 AM.

1. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

It's been a long time since I last shopped for a car. While I was aware of Nisson's well documented problems with CVT transmissions, I recently discovered that Toyota, Honda, Subaru, and others have jumped on the CVT bandwagon. A CVT uses a system of belts and pullies rather than the actual gears in a conventional transmission. If one should fail, the only service option is most often replacement, costing thousands of dollars.

I'm wondering about planned obsolescence and if running a Honda or Toyota's mileage up over 2k might become a thing of the past. After reading up on CVT problems, I think I'll try to steer clear.

drmordo and String Tree like this.
  2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I didn't know that... weird. I avoid anything with a rubber timing belt myself. That, or when you buy, figure that car price and add $1200 for when you replace it!

DDickens likes this.
  3. cousinpaul

Yeah, I like a timing chain too.

4. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Afflicted

My 2015 Honda Accord has a CVT transmission. Smooth as silk, enhanced gas mileage and nary a problem yet.

soulgeezer and Greggorios like this.
  5. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

We've owned an 07 altima cvt and no issues. It's been a good car. 260,000mi.

You want to talk about bad transmissions? Just say Dodge.

6. cousinpaul

We've got a '13 Rogue. No problems so far but it's only got around 50k on it. Glad to hear your Altima is doing well.

I wish I knew more about the frequency of the reported problems. One in ten would be a much bigger deal than one in a thousand.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020 at 12:20 PM
  7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Well...cheaper to manufacture and not rated for towing.
    If it walks like a duck....

8. SuprHtr

SuprHtr Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I don't like how they feel when accelerating, BUT they are the best for interstate travel with the cruise control on. None of the upshift/downshift nonsense that drives me nuts when in cruise mode.

DDickens, LAPlayer and Nahtabot like this.
  9. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

watching an off road youtube channel this morning..they bought a brand new land rover discovery...150 miles they get a CEL...got that fixed...they pick it up drive home and they lose their front and rear cameras..back to the dealer

things are high tech but i have a feeling...the ceiling is gonna fall that they will be back to building simpler vehicles

10. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

My girlfriend's 2010 Maxima threw a transmission code at about 80,000 miles, and the transmission failed shortly thereafter.

There was, or is, an extended warranty just on those Nissan CVT. The replacement took about three weeks, but it didn't cost us a penny. They even waived the $100 or so diagnostic charge.

If you have one, a Nissan at any rate, I highly recommend you have it serviced at the dealership, at the recommended intervals so there's a record of it.

Normally I would not ever prefer dealership service, but unfortunately this is a special circumstance.

Greggorios likes this.
  11. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

In our 2020 Subaru Forester the CV trans is near perfect in all ways. In my 2006 Nissan Versa the CV trans was horrid in all ways. One would hope Nissa is better at it,by now.

The Universal Guideline: Have your CV trans serviced by a dealer. That will meet requirements and reduce excuses.

12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I went to youtube and watched a video on how the CVT transmission works. On paper, it should be a much more simple way of conveying power from the transmission to ultimately the wheels of the car. The belt is the thing though. So much stretching and resizing of the belt seems to surely have a problem living in there somewhere. Motor scooters made as far back as the fifties employed a similar design, so it's really nothing new.

Greggorios and String Tree like this.
  13. Toto'sDad

I wonder how many cars with CVT transmissions have ended up going through garage walls into the house?

String Tree likes this.
  14. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Above and beyond all is this: Cost of Manufacture and Chance of the Manufacturers Liability for Warranty.
    That is your answer.

I'm not defending them.

15. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hmmm, if I wasn't so darned Lazy, I would investigate that.
    YEP!!!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

I don’t think the belts stretch...pretty sure both pulleys have moveable sheaves so as one effectively increases its diameter, the other one reduces a proportionate amount; thus the sweep through the gear reduction range.

Snowmobiles and gas golf carts and side-by-side UTVs seem to do well with them, along with scooters. But my only real seat time in a CVT contraption was an early Kawasaki Mule, and a Smithco sand trap rake when I used to work summers at a golf course. Both quite a bit smaller/lighter/lower powered than a car.

17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think the Dutch car maker DAF came up with these in the late 1950s, actual mass produced car. The concept has been around a while - the trick is in the execution.

And if there's a way to mess things up, Nissan is sure to find it.

I think a conventional internal combustion motor lasts longer when the RPM can range around and not spend too much time in one pocket. Internal parts seem to fall into a rut of sorts. A CVT doesn't let you get free of a vibration that might occur at a certain speed. We don't tell people to take hours and miles "breaking in" their motors anymore, but I still think a motor that runs basically only within a small range of rpms will wear out faster.

I prefer not to have to change timing belts, but I did it on our Miata and no doubt I'll be doing it again. But I cannot change out a CVT transmission. I mean I guess I could, but I sure would hate that sort of task.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020 at 4:03 PM
    Toto'sDad and Rocky058 like this.
  18. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

The Prius CVT does not use any belts. It uses a planetary gear set. It is probably the most reliable system there is in a transmission. Honda had issues with belt slippage in the first generstion CVT.

Like the Car Talk guys used to say about them, “Theres how Toyota does it, and how everybody does it.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020 at 4:07 PM
    Brendan, soulgeezer and Toto'sDad like this.
  19. Toto'sDad

The reason I asked is because I watched a video saying you weren't supposed to "inch" ahead with a CVT. My wife "inches" ahead every time she parks in the garage. I can just see me sittin' on the can, and the nose of her car knocking my toilet paper roll right off the wall.

String Tree likes this.
  20. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I had no CVT problems in 150,000 miles in a 2007 Prius nor with my 2012 Altima with 204,000 miles, nor any other mechanical problem.

LAPlayer likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.