1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

CVR to VibroVerb RI mods, anybody done 'em?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by FiddlinJim, Jul 29, 2009.

1. FiddlinJim

FiddlinJim Tele-Holic

Friends, I just inherited a Custom Vibrolux Reverb from a friend who passed away last week. I don't know how it sounds yet (getting shipped), but I'm intrigued by changes that the "conversion" to VibroVerb RI might add (deeper, wetter reverb, major Hiss reduction, NFB, adjustable fixed bias). It doesn't look too hard (same PCB, I've read).

I'm looking for clean Bakersfield -> Surf's Up sound. I've currently got a '73 DR, but might give it up for the one I inherited if I can get what I want out of it.

Any experiences with doing this conversion? Worth the effort? I'm not selling the inherited amp, but am willing to dig in and tailor it a bit.

2. FiddlinJim

FiddlinJim Tele-Holic

The amp arrived today and I reinstalled toobs and fired 'er up. It's a little hissy, but not as bad as some have reported. I can't really read the date code, but I think it is a '99. It looks to have all original GT tubes. I've ordered new Tung-Sol 6L6GBs and a couple of NOS Mullard 12AT7s to experiment with for the PI and maybe reverb driver.

I will certainly add a bias pot and see what it sounds like with the new tubes. I admit I'm a fool for sloppy surfy reverb, and this ain't got it, so I may do the Mark Moyer mods to VibroVerb it, more to get deeper lusher reverb than anything else.

Any chance I'll get reverb similar to my 73 Deluxe Reverb with this guy?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.