CVC switch to Indian Laurel

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by jiri_c, Dec 8, 2019.

1. jiri_c

jiri_c TDPRI Member

hello.
    does anybody have a knowledge if all CIC Custom Classic Vibes have rosewood fretboard, or (if not) when they changed material to Indian Laurel? specs for indonesian production are well known, but there are still some old stock chinese made guitars, and without being tonewood fetishist, i’d like to get one with old specifications.
    thank you!

2. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

They switched in either 2017 or 18 and yes, they were rosewood before that.

Fretting out likes this.
  3. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I’m all about the rosewood, except the deforestation part. Good news is there are used parts out there to hunt down. Recycle all that beautiful rosewood. I merely prefer the looks on darker varieties, the tone is all in my head.

Here’s one of mine. Sold off all my CVC necks because they were skinny, after I decided to stop hoarding rosewood necks for no good reason.

48AFFB06-8253-4381-9A47-463198CC5C12.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    ftbtx, Chunkocaster and Bruxist like this.
  4. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

/me raises an eyebrow?

5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I didn't know they had switched to Indian Laurel. I'd rather a nice dark grained rosewood too. They will probably be using brown painted mdf next.

6. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

Indian Laurel is just fine. I have a Squier Tele with laurel and I don't even notice any difference.

7. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I have two CV guitars with IL, a CV 70s Strat, and a CV 60s Mustang, and they feel and sound as good as my rosewood board guitars, and I'm a rosewood snob too, so that's saying a lot!

8. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

They went to IL at the same time that Mexican made Fenders went to PF, because of the more strict new CITES regulations on all rosewood, because, although they could still use rosewood, it required more paperwork, and Fender didn't want to deal with that. So, they switched to alternative woods, as did many other companies. However, the new rosewood rules have been lifted for musical instruments, but are still in effect for raw materials. That's why Fender have gone back to rosewood for the new Ultra series guitars, when the Elite series before them were Ebony. They never stopped using rosewood on the Am Std, Am Pro, Am Special, and Am Performer series, which have all been rosewood all along.

9. jiri_c

jiri_c TDPRI Member

thank you all.
    i think i will stop speculating and just get one.
    thanks!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.