CV50s VB neck pup.... What did you change it to?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by carbon ribs, Jul 27, 2013.

1. carbon ribs

carbon ribs Tele-Meister

I'm really diggin my CV50s tele right now but I am wondering about swapping the neck pup. Just wanted some feedback on what you all have put in there and how it's working for you. SC, P90 or HB.... Anything and everything is on the table at this point.

If you put something other than a SC in there, how do you overcome any output differences??

Thanks!

2. zag1

zag1 Tele-Meister

If you are concerned about "overcoming" output differences, why bother. I mean isn't that the reason to make a change? To put in something to get the sound you want? Don't even have to mess with the neck routing on those CV Teles as there's enough room to even drop in a Strat or a P-90 pickup. Anyway, I have a Mini Humbucker (SM-2 Seymour) in one of my CV50s Teles. Gives me a fuller tone.

3. hornet258

hornet258 TDPRI Member

I read his question as:
    "what can I do if the new neck pickup is way louder than the bridge pickup."
    Other than lowering one and raising the other, I don't know...
    :confused:

4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

The CV '50s Vintage Blond uses hotter wound Alnico III pickups so if you swap out the neck for a P90 you shouldn't have that much trouble getting a balance between neck and bridge. If you go to a humbucker just steer clear of those that have very high out put. A SC/HB pair isn't all that odd either and will work fine.

The real question is what are you finding that you don't like about the stock pickups? If it's just the neck and not the bridge then finding a better sounding Tele neck pickup isn't a problem. There are dozens to choose from including those from boutique vendors who can wind you something that will match the output of your bridge.

But as I said this whole process should begin with defining what you don't like and what you're looking for instead.

5. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

I found I liked the combo of a CV 50's A3 bridge pup and a CV 50's A5 neck. YMMV.

6. swamper95

swamper95 TDPRI Member

I have instslled a duncan and seymore vintage minni humbucker and its built for a telecaster . LOVE IT! Ordered pup and pick guared from warmoth

ForumRunner_20130729_133200.jpg

7. dimitris

dimitris TDPRI Member

I found my vb cv50's neck pickup very blunt.Replaced it with a twisted tele and I couldn't be happier.

8. zen-box

zen-box Tele-Meister

Mine seemed a bit muddy ... Fender samarium replacement is amazingly good so far ..

9. CAAD8N8

CAAD8N8 Tele-Holic

I would like to do this with mine. What's in the bridge position of yours? I would love to make mine a poor man's hot rod

10. timmer114

timmer114 Tele-Holic

My bridge pickup went bad on my VB after a couple months, so I put a set of 51 Nocaster pups in there. The stock neck pickup was a tad dull for me so the switch was a good thing. I love the NC set, especially the bell tone of the neck pickup.

11. zag1

zag1 Tele-Meister

Had a Duncan Broadcaster at first, but now got the Duncan Little '59 in the bridge. I'm satisfied.:D

12. carbon ribs

carbon ribs Tele-Meister

I'm with you guys when you say that the neck is a bit dull and blunt sounding. It's not a horrible sound, but there isn't really anything there to get excited about either.

I'm probably leaning in the P90 direction if I do anything other than a regular SC. I guess I don't have an extremely clear idea of what I want.... more in a info gathering and experimental kind of mindset at the moment!

Thanks for the replies!

13. organic

organic TDPRI Member

Seymour Duncan SM-1 on my BSB. Lovely clean sound but it does swamp the bridge p/u a little with the switch in mid position.

14. zag1

zag1 Tele-Meister

That was an issue I had before droppin' in the Little '59 in the bridge. It really wasn't all that bad at first, but I was tryin' to get a better balance between the two.

15. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Lollar CC in the neck, SD QP in the bridge...

16. organic

organic TDPRI Member

I'm just a bit reluctant to do change the bridge p/u, I like the stock one so much. The Little 59 has the same sound, just more output?

17. acoustic rob

acoustic rob Tele-Holic

Try a CVC neck pickup. Like you say, the A3 neck pickup in the original CV 50s is kind of dull, but the neck pickups in the CVC are much more clear and open.

They use the same A5 pickup sets in the thinline and BSB Classic Vibes, so they should be cheap and plentiful on eBay.

18. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't changed the neck pickup on my VB CV50s, but I did find it too low in output. Going to raise it a bit, I found the simple foam pad underneath it wasn't thick enough, so I popped a couple of ballpoint pen springs around the screws. This worked a treat and I've now adjusted it to an optimum height. It's still a little bit woolly-sounding but the output level of the two pickups now balances nicely and if I want a sharper-sounding neck pickup for something I can use one of my other Teles that have one like that.

19. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

That hits that nail square on the head. They're not bad pickups but there's a whole lot better out there if you're willing to spend a few bucks to upgrade them.

A set of Nocasters or a Twister Tele neck w/Broadcaster bridge will do wonder for that guitar or if you want to spend about half that much a set or Bill Lawrence Keystones or for a few bucks more Micro-Coils. And that's a short list of those I've heard and/or played.

Or find a nice clear sounding P90 that has enough growl to it to kick your amp in the pants. To me the key is in the clarity of that neck pickup and all of the SC sets I listed have that advantage to varying degrees.

20. thefees

thefees Tele-Holic

Actually you can put whatever pickup you want in there. A few things to consider...

Humbuckers are too dark with 250k pots that Tele's come with. So if you want to place a Humbucker in there you would need to purchase a concentric volume knob that is stacked with a for example 250k volume pot on top of a 500k volume pot. That way you have the ability to adjust individual volumes without making structural changes for switching. Here is the pot that I am speaking about here: http://www.allparts.com/EP-4585-000-CTS-250K500K-Concentric-Pot_p_1443.html

You would also need the concentric volume knobs as well. You can see them here: http://www.**********************/c...tacked-Metal-Dome-Guitar-Knob-Set-Chrome.html

P90's Although P90's are single coil just like the Tele already has they put out more and have crazy good tone to them. They take to a Tele like a duck to water because being that they are single coil they use 250k pots also. So not pot change in necessary. I put one off of a 1961-3 SG Les Paul in the middle position of my 1966 Tele and it sounds great. I don't even have a separate volume knob for it. With the switching I can use it by itself, or in any combination with the existing Tele pickups. See photo below.

So I like using a P90 in conjunction with a couple of good Tele pickups like Texas Specials, N3 Noiseless etc. (Actually whatever flavor rocks your boat)
    If I was to do it over again, I would go with a concentric 250k/250k so I would have individual volume control, and a three way mini-switch located between the volume and tone knob. That way you can have all P90 for no feedback distortion pedal leads, or just the Tele the way it is originally, or any combination of both.

P90's tend to be a little less distinct in their positioning than some other pickups do. Yes there is a difference between the bridge and neck position but the middle position in conjunction with a Tele bridge still gives you all of the brightness you need yet with a lot more punch.

Humbuckers are nice when they have 4 conductor leads so you can split the coil. Fender did a nice job with that with their 1951 Pawn Shop model using the Enforcer™ Humbucking Pickup (Bridge) and splitting the coil giving you a very Tele like tone, and yet giving you the full humbucker option also.

So whether you are going to remove the neck pickup and install something else, add a pickup to the middle position or whatever, the sky is the limit.
    The never end quest for the perfect guitar tone marches forward.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.