CV50 Bridge - should it stay or should it go

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Jdsmith, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Jdsmith

Jdsmith TDPRI Member

I have converted a CV50 BSB tele into an esquire - replacing the electronics, bridge pickup, pickguard and saddles.

I put Rutters brass saddles on, and I really enjoy them. Essentially, the only thing on the body that hasn’t changed is the bridge.

I don’t necessarily have any problems with it, but is there any reason to change it to something better? Do they have any kind of reputation for falling apart or not being good?

I know Callaham, Wilkinson, and many others make replacement bridges, but I didn’t know if the tone/sustain or anything else would see a drastic change since everything but the bridge is fairly nice.

what are your thoughts? Should it stay or should it go? And if it should go, it’d be super helpful if anyone knew a bridge replacement that lined up with the squier CV holes - drilling my guitar makes me anxious.

I’m also left handed if that impacts any answers

2. vhilts1

vhilts1 Tele-Holic

Left handed people are not to be trusted

They are the devils children

nojazzhere, CajunJ and Jdsmith like this.
  3. Jdsmith

Jdsmith TDPRI Member

Hey, that’s exactly what my mom says

El Tele Lobo and vhilts1 like this.
  4. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

If you're talking about the 3 saddle bridge... They're part of what makes it a CV50. It's what makes it unique not just how it looks but also how it sounds. It's true there's some difficulty in intonation, but it's what makes it sound like a CV50 too. However, it's your guitar. If you want to make it fit accordingly to your needs, fire away!

5. Jdsmith

Jdsmith TDPRI Member

Even if I change the bridge, it’d still be a 3 saddle (at least if I can help it). Just curious about the quality of the Squier chrome bridge vs other replacements people have tried

littlebadboy and nojazzhere like this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

With all respect, (really) why are you considering changing your bridge? Is there some "deficit" you're trying to correct? The fact (greatly unrecognized here) is, "most" hardware changes have little effect on your overall sound. I'm not referring to pickups, but bridges, saddles, unique material nuts, and tuners. But please....feel free to spend your money as you wish.....and be sure to report back (with pics) with your personal results. ;)

Jdsmith likes this.
  7. blueruins

blueruins Tele-Meister

You’re talking about the bridge plate? I can’t think of any reason to change it other than the Squier may rust or tarnish faster.

Blackmore Fan and Jdsmith like this.
  8. Jdsmith

Jdsmith TDPRI Member

No reason in particular honestly. I went through the same process with a strat build I did a few years ago.

My main reason for any replacement I get is: I want everything on this guitar to outlast me. If a part is infamous for breaking or giving out, I'd like to upgrade it when all the upgrading is on my mind, you know? I don't want something to crap out on me in the future, so even if it isn't a problem just yet, I'd like to solve it before it becomes one.

But if there's nothing of note about Squier bridges other than being on Squier guitars, then it shall stay :)

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. Jdsmith

Jdsmith TDPRI Member

Maybe a dumb question, but I'm often wrong anyway: will any bridge begin to rust at some point or another (within a guitar player's lifetime)? You said it'd rust or tarnish faster, so if anything will rust (and if rust doesn't affect the function of the bridge or playability of the guitar), I'll just keep it as is.

nojazzhere likes this.
  10. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Tele-Afflicted

I doubt it will rust under normal circumstances. My oldest guitar at this point is from 2008, and the bridge looks brand new.

Jdsmith likes this.
  11. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

Im in the camp that you dont need to change it, unless you want it..

differences will depend on what you "hear" and "feel".. it might improve sustain, it might not, can be warm or not.. it depends really.. on what you guitar sounds and feels like before the swap.

However, those bridges are fine for what they are.. if you're simply wanting to "upgrade" it, then there are tons of options including the ones you mentioned.. I only had to replace one bridge in my telecaster, and that was because the saddle screws got so rusted, I cant adjust it anymore and I went with Gotoh.. high quality and bang for buck.

Jdsmith and Blackmore Fan like this.
  12. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Friend of Leo's

I actually think the CV bridge looks to be of higher quality than the real Fender vintage bridge. It may not actually be, but that’s how it looks to me!

The bridge is thicker, the plating is consistent and the corners are nice and smooth. The vintage bridge is thinner metal, when it was stamped into shape the back coroners get kind of sharp, and the plating doesn’t look as thick.

However, the different bridges do affect tone. I put a vintage bridge on my CV 50s and it made the guitar brighter, more acoustic.... I don’t know how else to describe it. Not better or worse, just different.

A vintage bridge is easily less than $20, 005-4162-049. If you don’t like the difference, then just call it the first piece of your next partscaster.

Jdsmith and Blackmore Fan like this.
  13. Lefty Addams

Lefty Addams Tele-Afflicted

You righties are just jealous ...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    Jdsmith likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.