CV Mustang owners.... question..... jazz bass thoughts.... shopping......

FortyEight

Friend of Leo's
If any of u own a cv mustang, have u ever had the pickguard off? and if so is it routed for a p bass pup?

I'm in shopping mode. I bought a CV jazz about a year and a half ago. I kinda like it, but the main purpose was to be a back up for my Mexi P which is my main bass. I play in a country band.

In general the Jazz is not as well received by the other band members. not as much low end so it hasnt been very successful as a back up for them. in my own recorded music i like it. but theres definitely something to how a p sits in a mix better maybe. PLUS, i'm more at home on the p.

i practice on my couch a lot and the offset body is not conducive to this at all.

but i have played mustangs ive liked. sometimes they dont jive, sometimes the do. i played a mexican player yesterday that worked well and i think could do double duty for the country band. would certainly work in my own music.

plus im getting old and the lighter weight is nice.

so my plan is to either get a second p or a mustang. i could afford a cv mustang much easier. but im not sold on that particular pup. and the player mustang i played, to me the bridge pup and blend wasnt all that. best sound was the p bass pup. so to me a mustang with just one of those would be a good idea. would be great if the cvs were routed for it.

i would do that mod to a bronco too if it was possible. ive played a few of those and the ones ive played play nice.

4mal

Friend of Leo's
Arthritis...sucks. Over the last 10 years I have assembled the stable of a lifetime. Lull, Lakland, Marco (Marco Cortez bass guitars), Valenti, and Godin piezo basses...

body and inflamation says no...

So I'm playing shorties. ya know what ? There is plenty of tone on tap with 30 inches of string!

A beatle bass clone, 1968, MIJ, LaBella Lats
A Guild Starfire, Bi Sonics and TI Jazz Falts
Nordstrand Acinonyx 1. Std tuning GHS flats
Nordstrand Acinonyx 2. BEAD tun8ng GhS rounds.

I'm gettin' it done with less pain. Really can't say enough about the Nordies. They are like mini- Ric's... without all the noise and moose necks of modern Ric necks. The Cat bass is worth a serious consideration if you are contemplating short scale.

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
Before you commit, you can do a few things to emphasize the low end.

First try a capo on the first fret and then tune to standard. Effectively gives you short scale. Of course this is more for trying it out, if you committed it’s easier to capo the 2nd fret and just shift the dots in your head (though then it’s quite short).

Try flatwounds (more fundamental, less overtones). If you are playing classic country, try a foam mute by the bridge (won’t help with low end, but the shorter decay might make woofy low mids clash with others less).

You can get p-style pickups for a jazz bass (though usually they call them “noiseless”). They’re just side by side under one cover instead of staggered, and the coils a bit smaller. I’d imagine more low end than a P in this config, since the J pickup is closer to the 12th fret.

Last edited:

FortyEight

Friend of Leo's
I did put flats in the p. at first it was ok but i swapped them onto my jazz and put rounds back on the p. that felt right. but then i think the flats started to wear in, i got more used to them, and liked them. so i swapped back.

flats on the p and rounds back on the jazz. i am really starting to become enamoured with the p again. im dialing it in better with my fingers on the faster songs. i felt off with the flats at first. it was like they were so slick id overshoot or be quicker than i wanted in tempo. but now im starting to get used to them. now with a pick, LOVE IT. for the country band i only use the pick twice now. muted for kiss an angel. and the big fiddle solo part on devil went down to georgia. i just do that bass line better with a pick.

the jazz.... i like it, i just wish it was smaller and lighter. lol. i could see liking a short scale. i do feel very at home on my p though.