CV Jazz vs Fender Mexi P bass.

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by FortyEight, May 15, 2021.

1. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Afflicted

I got about 3 or four thing to discuss but the each need a separate post otherwise it will be super long.

So for this one I thought I'd throw back my thoughts from living with my new CV Jazz and how it stacks up to my 1996 Fender Mexi P.

OK... Hmmmm... where to start. So.... You know I think I could sum it all up with probably one sentence. With Fender guitars and basses I feel like if I could jam two models together I would have the ultimate for me.

More than likely I would probably feel that way about any companies guitars I buy if I had mutiples.

1. Sound: I like the Jazz's sound better. Yes they are very different and one might work better in a certain type of song. If I'm just playing the one right after the other in an amp, I prefer the smoother sound of the Jazz. It may have something to do with quality of pups. I'm assuming my Mexi has a ceramic split humbucker. And the CV Jazz has "Fender designed" Alnico pups.

The jazz higher end sounds better to me. Like easier on the ears, not icepicky. The P is like lots of low end, lots of mids and harsh top end. The jazz sounds just like a more rounded, even, smoother sound. Now that's mainly talking about the front pup and not the bridge. Although I think the description of the bridge holds true, just the more brighter focus of a bridge sound. That being said, I think I can see why a PBass might be more useful in a rock band that plays loud.

One show when I had to run an extension chord my Jazz was humming. I turned the volume off between each song. It wasn't super loud but it was there. That never happens with the P of course.

The jazz's pups are quieter. But not enough to matter. I mean it's noticeable when you play them back to back. 500k pots in my P. I'm guessing 250's in the Jazz. ???

2. Feel: I feel like the jazz is heavier. My right thigh feels it more over long periods. Overall the body of the P is more comfy to me. The CV Jazz is not as thick. I don't know maybe a 3/32" thinner than my P. I know this is a typical thing between overseas models. I think it could possibly be more comfy if it was full thickness. But the P might be lighter overall.

Love the neck on the CV. For some reason the high gloss doesn't bother me even after playing 3 gigs with it. It's just not an issue for me. However I wasn't sweating profusely. But one show was kind of hot. I think in some weird way I may even prefer the gloss. I can't explain why. Newness of a guitar to me maybe. I don't know if I would prefer it on my 6 string guitars though.

My right arm where it meets the body likes the P more. Like I said, I think the P just fits me better in the body. But I far prefer the smaller nut on the Jazz. Hands down. I don't dislike the P and I can play them both almost as fast but there's no doubt in my mind the Jazz makes things a bit easier when playing fast. Which I don't do a lot of but here and there.

Looks, hands down my P but that's cuz it has a color. I'm not in love with black. Now if I would've gotten a light blue with tort pickguard for the Jazz, hands down the jazz. I like how they both look but colors play such a big part in how a guitar looks to me. I more care about how it plays and sounds but you know... I'm human. I like looking at nice looking things. I pretty much think all of Fenders designs are nice looking. I just don't always love every color scheme.

So that's my thoughts for today.

I'm actually probably going to go back to the P for the country band. I got the pots working. And the jazz will be my back up and recording bass. That is the plan right now. Which will likely change. LOL.

2. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

I understand and agree with much of what you say. Personally, I’ve always liked the look of the Jazz Bass more than the Precision Bass. I gravitate to Fender’s offset body models, esthetically. But I’ve learned some things along the way, for me at least:
    • I prefer the narrower neck of the Jazz to the Precision.
    • I am bothered by the single-coil hum of the Jazz. A set of DiMarzio Model J pickups solved that problem for me, with a minor compromise in tone. It allows me to balance front to bridge pickup volume more effectively.
    • Rather than being a cheaper, less modern instrument, the Precision is a work of genius, IMO. Without having to fuss with anything, it sits beautifully in most mixes. It’s almost indestructible. It’s hard to make it sound BAD in a band’s mix, no matter how inept a sound guy might be. It can be leaned up against a cabinet onstage, unlike a Jazz.
    If I had to own JUST ONE BASS for a lifetime, it would be a Precision with Fender Original pickups, proper pots, output jack & hardware, and a Jazz-width neck. Fortunately, I’m not constrained that way. Both of these are Fender MIM instruments with pickup, electronics, and cosmetic changes:
    701A3E56-87AE-4019-81D6-043144BA4797.jpeg BB5C6F10-D645-4B65-95C3-788FB360C66C.jpeg

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

A few years ago I had a Chinese-made Squier P-Bass "Special". (I believe) It was a P-Bass size body and neck, with P-Bass pickup(s)....but with added Jazz bass bridge pickup. It was wired like a Jazz, with two volumes and one tone. I re-wired it to a toggle p/up selector, one volume and one tone. It was pretty darn good. Then, I pulled the frets, and filled the fret slots with super glue. It was a LOT of work. (don't think I'll ever do that again) But, it sounded and played well. Almost the best of two or three worlds. ;) A guy I knew just kept throwing money at me to buy it, so I had to sell it to make him stop.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
  4. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Holic

I have nothing useful to add except that the offset body of the Jazz is so damn sexy.

FortyEight and 68Telebass like this.
  5. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Friend of Leo's

I have each. I like the P for some things, it's so predictable in a good way, it sounds like people think it sounds. With TI flats it is just right for me. I love the Jazz too. I switched my fretted Jazz and my fretless to VBT, the middle pot is a pickup blend. I love it at about 60% to the neck, tone just rolled back from full. Variety is the spice of life.

6. Killing Floor

Here's the sexiest P Fender's ever made for reference. Solid rosewood neck, satin black, tort.
    upload_2021-5-15_22-55-28.png

7. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

agreed! It needs a bridge cover...:cool:

FortyEight, Ronzo and Killing Floor like this.
  8. Killing Floor

I put covers on a J last year. The previous owner removed them but it was drilled. Learning how to get by with them on was a fun project.

FortyEight and 68Telebass like this.
  9. 68Telebass

I’m enrolled in that course as well!!
    Decided to go “Old School” on my Classic 60s MIM Jazz just last week. It looks great now, though:cool: 229DB3AD-3004-4F0B-9265-21DA12ACD925.jpeg

Killing Floor, FortyEight and Ronzo like this.
  10. loudboy

loudboy Tele-Meister

A buddy of mine let me borrow his, truly one of the nicest basses I've played - I thought it was his CS Relic '63 Jazz Bass.

FortyEight likes this.
  11. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

Replacing the 500K volume pot in the Precision with a 250K should tame that top end. 250K is standard for most PB circuits.

12. FortyEight

Wait, what? Are u saying most Ps have 250 pots? if thats the case i wonder why mine has 500.

I forgot to say something. Ive got the two set up nearly identical string height wise and i think i get a bit more fret buzz on the Jazz. But more down low. The Jazz feels better to me up high. I think this is just a symptom of these particular examples and not a general rule between models. Or maybe it is. ??

I do wish that I wouldve given Jazzes a harder look when I bought the P cuz back then mexicans were way cheaper. And I really think if i had to choose one I would go with the Jazz. I too like the offset looks the best and one day I'd like a Jaguar or Jazzmaster guitar.

But I also get the whole point of how useful a P is in the mix and all that.

I also would love to some day have more if an in depth understanding and own a short scale cuz maybe I would like it better. Not so far though. lol. I mean from the Mustangs I've played around with a little they havent done it for me yet.

13. bonzo898

bonzo898 Tele-Meister

Have both, love both (American Highway One Pbass, MIM Ash Jbass). I typically string the Pbass with flatwounds and he Jbass with roundwounds. This gives me even more tonal range between them. I just grab the one that fits the recording or live setting best and go.

For preference of tones it’s a wash as they are both great. If pressed I would say that I slightly prefer the Jbass neck shape. I also really like the ash body of the FSR Jazz both for looks and tonal characteristics.

6D1E7481-57C2-4097-91C8-CB9E773719AE.jpeg

14. FortyEight

Those are purdy @bonzo898 I'm a sucker for off white. I like that P.

@68Telebass I play muted too much to want a bridge cover like that. They are nice looking though.

15. 68Telebass

The bridge cover hides the chunk of foam you have under it...:twisted:

16. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

AFAIK most circuits use 250K. Whether this is consistent, IDK, but considering the inconsistencies in Telecaster and Stratocaster circuits ....
    (Telecasters in different models and/or at different times used 250K, 500K or 1M.)

So .... the 500K may be standard in yours. I would consider fitting a 250K and see whether you prefer it.

In your first post you say "500K pots" (plural). I would change both pots to 250K (standard).
    Also check tone capacitor ... 0.47uF is standard.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
  17. FortyEight

Well now you lost me. I don't know what the capacitor is. LOL. I can do house wiring but I don't know all this little stuff. Was there another thingy on the tone pot? I forget... maybe I got a pic..... the pic I took only shows the volume pot. I do remember them both saying 500 but I think there was one of those little thingies hanging off the tone pot.

I'm not sure I will touch it. I'm sort of a leave as is kind of person but you do have my curiosity piqued about if 250's would tame the high end.

My dad gave me a solder gun that he used to use at IBM for super small circuit boards and when I tried to use it for putting a jumper on a pot I didn't do to well. It was like it was almost too cool. What kind of solder gun does a luthier need. Like how hot?

18. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

Pic's .... that's a good idea
    Pots ... 250K will tame the high end (compared to 500K)
    Thingie on the tone pot ... any numbers on the capacitor? This will identify it's value.
    Dad's solder gun ... does Dad live nearby to do some soldering?
    Solder gun for luthier ... I recommend a solder station over a solder gun. Again pic's may help. If Dad was at IBM soldering PCB's it's almost definitely a solder station (and probably a good one).
    Soldering heat ... I set at around 350 deg C (about 650 F) for general soldering. Soldering time 3 seconds maximum.

I suggest you do some soldering practice on things you can discard before attacking your guitar. Dad may help here too.

Bassman8 and FortyEight like this.
  19. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Well said. I’ve had both and it’s easier to find a good tone from the single pickup, simple volume/tone controls of a P Bass. I like the slimmer neck profile of the Jazz. Fortunately I have Players series P Bass which has a slimmer modern C profile. If I was a real bass player I would do a Mod Shop or Custom Shop order to get a P Bass with a J bass neck profile. That said, the Players is all I really need.

68Telebass and Ronzo like this.
  20. FortyEight

Just to add to the discussion and throw out my theory, which I think most will agree....

I was at GC last night shopping for amps. There is one right by my doctor so that's why I went there.

I played through one of the newer ampeg rocket amps, 100 amp, an old Ampeg BA-115 that tipped back and was beat to heck, a Rumble 100 and Rumble 500 with 2/10"ers.

I won't go into my thoughts about the amps cuz this thread is about P vs J.

So I played a Player Jazz and a used mexican P. So... Well, this is more about comparing the basses i have with those at the store. The Jazz sounded really bright and trebly even with the tone rolled back some, about 40%. Which then made the bridge pup less different than the neck. I didn't really like it.

The used Mexi P I played sounded like it had the tone rolled back 50% at full out, compared to mine. It wasn't a bad sound... Just not much brightness at all. If you wanted that.... Which I don't really so I didn't mind it. It was actually a good deal too, it was 360 bucks..... But it did seem to me like something was wrong cuz the ones I've played over my life don't usually sound like this one did.

Anyways... my theory that I talk about frequently is that every fricking guitar is so different, regardless of if it's the same model as another. It's sort of cool, but also sort of annoying. Cuz you never know what you're gonna get sound wise. But at the same time it gives so much variance in tone for uniqueness.

So far I think I've liked the sound of my CV Jazz over anything I've played through an amp recently. I don't know if it's just cuz it was the last one I bought and I'm biased but it just has a nice sound to me. I don't play americans much though cuz they're so out of my price range. It would be interesting to see.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.