1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

CV Esquire w/Humbucker

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by guitarist232345, Dec 3, 2020.

1. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

Just sharing some info on my Classic Vibe Esquire.

Having had the guitar for a year I must say, I really love it. Its aesthetic is killer and it plays nicely. For what I paid I have no complaints.

Two months ago I installed a hotrail into it as it matches the kind of music I play [pop punk / modern rock] really nicely. While I do love the sound of the stock pickup, this is more in-line with the kind of music I play [so I can take it to rehearsals and sound great in the mix]. The stock pickup is GREAT for pop punk leads but as it is a single coil, doing rhythm left me wanting more - particularly with palm mutes.

I predict I will reinstall the stock pickup to get the twangs back for a little bit in the near future, but for now I am enjoying it like this. Long term I will probably swap between the two pickups depending on how I feel as they both do what they are intended to do perfectly, but they are different.

I really love this guitar due to it having no neck pickup which makes it look great. To add to this, I can strum and really really enjoy it without knocking the neck pickup [which I do all the time on other guitars in my collection]. The great thing is that this is the guitar I learnt to solder on - an invaluable guitar skill. Thanks to this guitar I now understand how guitar guts work to a better extent.

I am really glad I did the humbucker conversion and recommend it! It gives the guitar a very marshally like tone so that it sounds very full through a cab. For the genre I play this is honestly perfect. The simplicity makes it just plug and play with an instantly great tone - a guitar I can just switch off from, knowing I don't have to mess with anything to sound great.

I love esquires and I love the idea of a boomstick like esquire with a humbucker in it. A seemingly basic looking guitar with a lot of punch in its tone. Lets hope these things aren't revived temporarily and we start seeing them more and more in music videos across all genres. It is rare to see esquires nevermind esquires with a humbucker, so I thought I'd share this to show you guys whats up with it.

Please, if you have any questions around the humbucker ask away.

[​IMG]

GGardner, VWAmTele, carpenter and 5 others like this.
  2. puddin

puddin Tele-Holic

Yes, I love my esquire too. Something very special about this guitar. She's my only tele..sold off the rest. Before you go back to the original pickup, you got try a bootstrap's original recipe. This guitar loves this pickup. 49.00 and she has a better voice, without having to lower the pickup. She sounds heavenly through my Marshall. your guitar looks killer. cheers

guitarist232345 likes this.
  3. guitarist232345

Thanks I will look into it!

4. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Holic

Have you considered using an EQ pedal or a subtle boost to get a better rhythm tone from the pickup you like?

5. 68Telebass

68Telebass Friend of Leo's

Wow!! That is Killler- Hotrail Esquire is a great idea!! Yours may be the first I’ve seen!!!

As you enjoy the original bridge pickup as well, sounds to me you need ANOTHER Esquire!!:cool:

6. guitarist232345

You know what - I think you're right. I'm 100% an Esquire person so another wouldn't go amiss, Teles are needlessly complicated

Dereksys38 likes this.
  7. guitarist232345

Yeah, my tube screamer works a treat on both pickups! The overdrive pedal on my Katana gives the stock pickup a fierce beefy sound too.

Love that I can experiment like this on the guitar! It's one I probably won't get rid of for decades.

8. willholt92

willholt92 Tele-Meister

Really cool guitar.

Another idea for a different pickup might be a tele bridge style P90?
    I've just this year got my first P90 guitar and it is the perfect middle between a single coil and a HB, sounds huge.

Especially for punk, like a tele version of a LP Jnr

9. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Overwound tapped single coils are a popular option in an esquire as well, you can get them from several manufacturers. I have 1 with a 12/7 tapped 5/2 pickup from Q's. and a mini switch for the coil tap, and a 4 way switch, It's remarkably versatile and usable, and to my surprise it's one of my favorite guitars now.

as far as Hot rails go...
    Back in the day I had a Quarter Pounder in my strat bridge break and I replaced it with some KMD rail pickup (I don't remember much about how it sounded somehow..) and then eventually I ended up with a hot-rails in the bridge with a push pull pot to split it. It was ok, I was playing in a cover band with a ADA-MP1 preamp through an Ampeg tube head and 4x12, it was ok for that. It was kind of supplanted by a Tele Plus with the double reds, once I got a VHT pitbull, though I still would play that strat too sometimes.

However years later when I had a deluxe reverb, I found that the Hot Rails had to go, it was just too nasal and flat sounding, I put some kind of A5 single coil pickups in that strat. but I don't like them in there either, last I checked, the guitar has a skinny neck and it's just too bright for those pickups. But I had another strat at the time that I was mainly playing, so I've just let it be.

I should probably pull that guitar out and re-evaluate it sooner or later. It was my only guitar for a long time, so I don't think I could really get rid of it. Of all the pickups I had in that strat starting with the stock MIJ pickups, it's a late 80's e-series I got it in '89 or '90, the one I remember liking the most was the Quarter Pounder.

I usually find myself always preferring the dynamic open feel of a single coil over the compressed, quietness of most humbuckers.

I have a few esquires now, they all have single coil pickups in them, I have a body that is routed for a humbucker with the route on the slant like a tele, but I haven't finished assembling it yet. Honestly I messed up the ferrules when I drilled them, worse than I thought, so it needs to be fixed. I need to get past my self loathing over it and actually do it. I've never had a tele with a real full sized humbucker in it. I'm going to try it with an old Dimarzio SD I pulled out of a late 70's Les Paul Custom, and If I don't like that, I'll probably put in a Bootstrap PAF/A4 thing, that's laying in my junk drawer, I dunno???

I'm a fan of chopped off tele bridges and pickups screwed in the wood on esquires, as well as traditional mounted bridges, which obviously opens up more options.

Anyway have fun with your esquire and messing with pickups :)

10. guitarist232345

I agree - I adore P90s. My Gibson has a P90 set on it so I'm not fully inclined to put one on the Esquire. If I didn't have to reroute it, I would stick a normal Humbucker in this guitar just for the badass aesthetic, but a man can dream :)

willholt92 likes this.
  11. willholt92

willholt92 Tele-Meister

Ah fair enough you're covered for P90's then.

Yeah I get what you mean, I must admit an Esquire with a filtertron has always (and still does) tickle my fancy.
    I'm tempted to get an Esquire plate when I finish my Blackguard Squier refin.
    Again for badass aesthetic and I think the Filtertron really suits an Esquire/tele.

But I've got a Filtertron in my '84 Gordon Smith GS1 and can't really justify anything else that's similar. But man that thing sounds UNREAL

IMG_7900.JPG

mimmo likes this.
  12. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I know this isn’t feasible to everyone, but since the guitar is fairly inexpensive, I would probably just buy another esquire and keep it single coil so I wouldn’t have to replace the pickup.

As far as rail pickups go, I’ve got a Dimarzio Chopper T in one of my guitars and I like it a lot.

PS As usual, I didn’t pay attention to the entire thread and someone beat me to it on buying another esquire.

13. guitarist232345

Honestly, I think I will just buy another Esquire. They're too good and I fancy a BSB Blackguard one.

swervinbob likes this.
  14. guitarist232345

Agreed - sticking a different PuP in these things is really unique and makes them stand out so much. The original pickup is amazing too.

15. Cam

Cam Friend of Leo's

Dang, the cv esquire hasn't made it to Canada as far as I can tell.

16. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I had done exactly the same thing to one of my Teles, with a DiMarzio Chopper rail humbucker. Just recently, I put a neck pickup back in, but the Chopper is staying in the bridge - it seriously rocks. The other two Teles are traditional single coils, but the bridge pickups are hotter and not vintage spec at all. They rock too, but differently ;)

17. guitarist232345

Thats the key - they're different, so we all need one of each

18. guitarist232345

Maybe you can import one? They're quite common in Europe now and come in a range of colours

mkdaws32 likes this.
  19. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I really miss my old Gordon Smith, love yours!

willholt92 likes this.
  20. willholt92

willholt92 Tele-Meister

Thank you, they are really special guitars and I think that one will stay with me till the end.

mimmo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.