1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

CV 50's vb color variations ?

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by buckwalder, Jun 26, 2014.

1. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

I bought a classic vibe telecaster 50's vintage blond in march 2013 though AMS. The guitar was perfect of course but I always wished it was more yellow. So I took off the black guard and made a tracing on some white copier paper and put that on the tele. Doing this really brought out the yellow in the guitar so I went about searching for a white 5 hole 3 ply guard. I soon discovered the guard I wanted was more than I was willing to pay, so I just decieded to live with it as is.
    About a week later I was looking at the local guitar listing on ksl.com and found the exact guard I was looking for and it was priced at 10.00.
    So I call the guy up and asked him about the guard. It is a Warmoth guard and he bought it for his tele because he didn't like the black guard. His guitar was also a cv50's vb. I said "wow thats the same guitar I have" and I told him "I wanted the guard to bring out the yellow in mine because it looks to white with the black guard". He said that "his was too yellow and he wanted his to look white like the pictures he had seen before he ordered it." Then he asked me If I wanted to trade. He must have traveled 100 miles round trip to my house and back to make this trade and he also threw in a gig bag, a strap and 3 pickguards. I felt so guilty I gave him a copy of Dan's book,"How to make your electric guitar play great"
    Anyway,this thing is exactly the color I was looking for. I have yet to see one this yellow but the finish is not as see through as the one I traded.
    This guitar is the same shade of yellow as Robin Ford's tele, I love it.
    So if anyone has any pics of this model that are really yellow, I would love to see them.

2. CJMann

CJMann TDPRI Member

That's cool that you could help each other out like that.

Just goes to show that what one person dislikes somebody else will think is the bee's knees.

3. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

good swap. I hadn't thought that putting on a different p/g might bring out a different color perception....hmmmm.

4. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Well that was about as fortunate a turn of events as anyone could have ever hoped for. Glad it worked out for you. The Classic Vibes are some of the best values around these days.

5. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Thanks guys, I forgot to mention the guitar I gave him is a 2012 and the yellow one is 2009.
    It's funny,when I was talking to him on the phone he said "you may not like it because it's heavy" I said "I don't mind heavy guitars,mines heavy too"
    Turns out the both weigh about the same,almost nine pounds.

6. gwe52

gwe52 TDPRI Member

butterscotch blonde CV50

here's my CV50. i just got her (used) thru ebay ads (no auction, fixed price) for €250 some days ago! i was very happy on my NGD about the color. she plays comfortably, the pus do not quite reach the sweetness of my custom CV (being alnicoV). but the acoustic sound is perfect. maybe i do an upgrade on pus. more playing-time will tell-
    good luck
    gwe

Attached Files:

7. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

I went with a white PG just to bring out more butter-y, no more margerine color perception. hehe
    It's like "let there be more fat people around me, then I look slim"

[​IMG]
    light weight 7.2 lbs, 2008 model

8. GuitOp81

GuitOp81 Tele-Holic

I believe the BSB should have exactly the same pups of the CVC (and so the newer olympic white and black). The VB should be the only one of the whole series with alnico III

9. DAA1

DAA1 Tele-Meister

Try a red tortoise guard...

looks amazing on my CV50s VB Tele...

10. gwe52

gwe52 TDPRI Member

missed on this....

GuitOp81 you're right! thank you!
    so the difference in sound is not in the pups magnets, but strings, pup's height, production variations etc. etc.
    now i understood as well, that buckwalder's point is not the wood's grain to see thru but....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.