CV 50's Upgrades

Telepatio

Tele-Meister
Hello all!

Got a two-tone burst CV 50's today. Great guitar! One piece body and one piece neck!

The only thing I don't care for is the lilly white pickguard. I'm going to put a black one on it, anyone else done the same? I'd love to see some pics.

My real question though is, while I have the thing taken apart, is there anything that should be replaced? I'm thinking maybe the 5-way switch because it feels real cheap. Anything else you smart guys recommend?

I'm of the opinion if it ain't broke.... That said, I think the switch will break eventually.

What do you guys think?

KevinV

Tele-Meister
I've changed nothing on my CV50's except strings, and don't plan to until something breaks. I love this thing stock.

Stuco

Poster Extraordinaire
They are great guitars! Sorry to tell you though, it is HIGHLY unlikely that it is a 1 piece body. I don't know that anything needs to be changed but if you're going to you might as well get one of those boutique strat wiring kits from mojotone. It's all top quality parts and you don't have to worry about forgetting any parts. Their pickguards fit well and are are cheap too.

http://www.mojotone.com/Guitar-Parts/Guitar-Kits/2113350

Essex

TDPRI Member
Just bought an early production (may 08) CV50 in great condition and I'm certain it has a 1 piece body. I'll try to embed a photo I took last night...

Open.jpg

if that doesnt work here's a direct link.

http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb28/rickaitch/Open.jpg

zag1

Tele-Meister
Here's a question, does the tremolo block look like this one here? Reason I'm asking is I saw a poster on another forum showin' the spring cavity on a CV '60s Strat, and it was the "pot metal" version! Ugh!

Attachments

• Picture 172.jpg
    Picture 172.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 252

fenson

---------------------------------
Here's a question, does the tremolo block look like this one here? Reason I'm asking is I saw a poster on another forum showin' the spring cavity on a CV '60s Strat, and it was the "pot metal" version! Ugh!

Yes it does. yes they are the skinny Zinc blocks. Can be changed easy enough. The pots are mini Alpha pots , the switch is Alpha Square PCB , the out put jack is not the best either.

I put switch craft 5-way, switch craft jack ,CTS pots , orange drop cap and a Cold rolled steel full size block in mine. Pickups work pretty good so I am leaving them alone.

The + side of the guitars is, the pickups sound good ,the mid is RWRP the fit & finish is excellent. Bodies are made solid pieces of alder ,usually 2 or 3 piece . Some have quarter sawn necks and some figuring as well.

zag1

Tele-Meister
Okay, well now I know. That's too bad though. I already know what to do if I get one. I'll just have to do the same thing I did to my '98 Mexican Squier Strat. Now this.......is a real trem block! The same will go for the bridge saddles too, if they're the cheap kind! A set of Callahams!

Attachments

• Picture 158.jpg
    Picture 158.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 106
  • Picture 157.jpg
    Picture 157.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 71

Essex

TDPRI Member
OK, two more shots front and back. I didn't mean to hijack this thread, but the OP did seem to think he also had a 1 piece body. I'm no authority on wood etc but I'm darned if I can see any joins anywhere!

The vertical lighter patch below the trem cover on the back is in the grain and moves as you change angle (a bit like a hologram!).

Front-1.jpg

Back.jpg

brewwagon

Poster Extraordinaire
i really love mine its a lpb and stock so far exept for the plastic dunlop lock straps
the maple neck is smooth like glass
i did adjust the pups for best tone thru a peavy kb 100 w15"

it just sings now lovely guitar for cheap really

bw

goldtopper

Friend of Leo's
I can see two joins(if not 3) on that one Essex.
the only thing I did was change the white guard to a Fender mint green one-
And maybe something to the headstock, which shall not be named.

Telepatio

Tele-Meister
Yeah, I took a hard look at mine and realized it's a 3-piece body. Nice grain matching though.

Still a very lovely guitar all around.

Essex

TDPRI Member
I must learn more about wood and grain matching in the context of guitar making! I still can't see anything resembling a join, even using a magnifying glass in both natural and artificial light.

Maybe I simply don't know what I'm looking at!

RatherBeFishing

Tele-Afflicted
I must learn more about wood and grain matching in the context of guitar making! I still can't see anything resembling a join, even using a magnifying glass in both natural and artificial light.

Maybe I simply don't know what I'm looking at!

Essex,

You may not be able to see the crease its self. You can tell there is a joint where grains are going towards each other. The only obvious one I see is in the center on the front picture. See how the grains kind of bow out below the bridge?

I have bodies that I was positive were one peice but when I flipped them sideways and looked at the bottom the seams were obvious.

Everyone,

I was very skeptical at first but I caved in and got a nice pair of CV 50s. The Tele and a white Strat. The strat has some of the best pickups I've ever heard and they are matched perfectly. Mine measure 5.65, 5.85, and 6.05. I plan on A/B testing them with Fralin real 54s.

I am sure that it will benefit from a full size strat block. I will probably use the Wilkinson WVCSB unit.

Do you all think that CTS Pots are worth the extra $$$? I will probably do the blender mod but I am not completely sold on upgrading electronics.

KevinV

Tele-Meister
TheBear...

I'm not changing anything on my 50's Strat until it needs replacing. I find the pots to be responsive as any CTS pots I have, and no issues with the switch or jack.

I may swap out the switch on my CV50's Tele because I'm getting some static, but I'll give it a shot of contact cleaner before I do that to see if it fixes the problem. The jack was loose on my Tele, but wasn't causing any issues...just needed tightened up.

I'm usually a modder, but I don't need to change a thing on these. I'm especially fond of the tuners, they hold very well and the gear ratio is good...no easy overshooting with these.

And as far as the block goes, Yogi, another forum member swapped his out for a full size and said it made no difference. I've got one in the house, but I'm not going to bother putting it in, I'm using it in a project build instead.

Essex

TDPRI Member
TheBear, thanks for the info on the grain matching! I guess mine's a 2 piece then. It's encouraging that Squier are obviously putting more effort into matching these bodies than I would expect at this price level.

Having said that, I've seen some CVs (50s and 60s) with joins that are obvious even from several meters away. Perhaps I got a good one!