CV 50's Tele vs. Asat Classic

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Honeyman Scoot, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Honeyman Scoot

Honeyman Scoot TDPRI Member

Team,

I am the proud owner of a USA G&L ASAT Classic Custom (with the MFD neck pickup), and I love the thing. I am in the market for a 2nd guitar, particularly one that sounds more like a Tele than my current G&L does (not particularly twangy).

I have been debating between 2 issues:

1. Do I pickup the CV 50's now, which I can pay for easily, or do I save up for a Tribute or even US ASAT? I played the cv 50's vintage blonde and loved it. Cannot currently get hold of an ASAT classic to try; would likely have to travel a bit to test one in person.

2. If I do go with the CV, which one, Vintage with the Alnico 3's, or BSB with the Alnico 5's? I would prefer to choose the one which would offer a complement to my MFDs in the G&L, not one that is closer to a duplicate.

Anyone with experience/wisdom to share on either of these issues would be a great help.

I play mostly classic rock, alternative, etc. with a Blues Jr. and way too many sweet pedals to choose from...

Thank you,

Honeyman

2. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

I dunno, but thats a cool screen name.

3. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

Does the G&L really sound that different from a Tele?

4. Phelonious Ponk

Phelonious Ponk Tele-Afflicted

You shouldn't be having any trouble getting twang out of the bridge pickup of your ASAT. The only thing you could do to possibly enhance it would be change the bridge pickup for something in the way of a vintage alnico, but the MFD bridge should be plenty twangy enough with the right technique. The other thing that could be standing in the way is too small an amp (twang is clean) and too many sweet pedals (twang is clean...).

P

5. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes I own 11 G&L's a few ASAT Classics not much in common with a Tele besides the body shape. The ones with the big P90 sized MFD's dont twang much at all but are grear for blues/rock.

The CV BSB should be easier to crreate twang on cause its got a low ohm twangy beidge pickup. The older VB finished ones have a much hotter pickup 8.5-8.8k which does twang a little but does blues and rock better.

MY CVC is my most twangy guitar and it has the same pickups as the CV50's BSB.

6. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

IME the Alnico III provide more chime and twang than the Alnico V but either will provide a more true Tele sound than your ASAT. I just played a friends about a week ago and I was surprised at how much mellower sounding it was. Harmonics plus but not what you'd call conventional twang.

7. yell03

yell03 Tele-Meister

I have both the CV50 BSB with Alnico Vs and the VB with Alnico 3s.

For the twang and Tele sound I would go for the BSB with lower output Alnico Vs, but...

for the type of music you play the VB with Alnico 3s might be a better fit.

I will say, you can do harder rock with the Alnico Vs if you have the pedals as the Blues Jr does not have all that much gain, just boost it with one of your overdrive pedals.

Sometimes I will run clean and boost my Fulltone OCD overdrive with my Boss SD1 overdrive, that will provide plenty of gain for the Alnico Vs.

My advice, buy both CV50s:D

8. Encinitastubes

Encinitastubes Tele-Meister

If you like the G&L, why don't you pickup another one that feels as close to yours as possible. You can use yours for the MFDs and the other for your pickup experimentation guitar.

9. Honeyman Scoot

Honeyman Scoot TDPRI Member

Just found a deal on an Asat Classic Tribute for 439 new, seems like it might be a contender for 100 or so more than Cv...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.