CV 50s Tele Relic

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by AntigonesAncestor, Jun 30, 2020.

1. AntigonesAncestor

AntigonesAncestor TDPRI Member

Hey all,

Picked up a Classic Vibe 50s Tele (my first tele ever!) in butterscotch/blackguard and I've already ordered a new relic bridge and control plate with the components to wire a new circuit (I'm going to do a flipped configuration + broadcaster-style blend circuit with a StewMac treble bleed capacitor, I'll post pics when I actually get the components in and do the job). I've already swapped the tuners for a more worn-in set and I'll be having a tusq nut installed as with all of my guitars.

All that to ask: in your experiences, would you all think it'd look awkward to have relic hardware without any relic on the body/neck? I love the aesthetic of relic gear but I've never tried doing it before and I don't want to sacrifice my tele on the altar of good intentions. Any guidance or thoughts would be appreciated but please don't flame on the concept of relicing in general; if I had the ability to get an authentic worn in tele I wouldn't be buying a Classic Vibe.

2. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

If the hardware was just lightly reliced I think it would be fine imo, but a heavy relic would look odd on that CV that's never gonna follow suit.

Besides, who cares. It's yours to do what you want & the hardware will age anyway.

Fretting out likes this.
  3. Craig_D

Craig_D TDPRI Member

4. AntigonesAncestor

That looks super cool! Happy 40th, shame it had to fall under quarantine. Good on you for making the best of it though, I'm sure the circumstances afforded bit more time with your new gear if nothing else.

Craig_D likes this.
  5. teletail

teletail Tele-Holic

If you're going to relic the tele, have someone that knows what they are doing perform the relic. There are so many horrible "relic" jobs out there because everyone thinks it's easy.

A good relic job mimics natural wear. I see way too many "relics" with wear in places that would NEVER occur naturally, or the finish worn down by a sander and it looks like it. I love a good natural relic, but hardly ever see one.

There's a company on Reverb.com called DAX that does a really good job. I have no affiliation with them but I admire their work.

AntigonesAncestor likes this.
  6. gip111

gip111 TDPRI Member

IMO, any diy relic is a bad relic. To take a perfect instrument and destroy it for the sake of? There are used guitars in the market that have aged gradually as it gets used and there’s a certain look to them that can be appreciated. I say, leave it alone, play the heck out of it and polish it occasionally.

7. AntigonesAncestor

Any guidance or thoughts would be appreciated but please don't flame on the concept of relicing in general; if I had the ability to get an authentic worn in tele I wouldn't be buying a Classic Vibe.

8. AntigonesAncestor

I appreciate the input, I'll give them a look.

EDIT: Having checked their site, I found this somewhat disheartening clause:

"WE DO NOT AT THIS TIME; add binding to customer’s guitars, strip finishes, refinish or paint customer’s guitars, install trademark headstock decals, or offer any routing."

While I can easily see the liability reasons for this policy it does seem an odd place to draw the line with respect to artistically aging a modern instrument, seeing as the finish is one of the main things that is both distinctive to newer guitars and daunting to do on one's own as an amateur. Having already ordered relic hardware, it unfortunately doesn't seem like that;ll be the play here. I still appreciate the pointer and I'll keep them in mind for any potential future projects.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020 at 1:05 AM
  9. AntigonesAncestor

Got my treble bleed cap, knobs, and wire in. once my other package shows up I can start working on the new control circuit and posting pictures.

I also went ahead and took some sandpaper to the back of the neck and the heel of the guitar where my arm rests. I didn't do enough to change the look, you'd never know until you touched it, but it does make those areas much smoother (I've always found that the squier lacquer makes for sticky, uncomfortable playing. I had a VMS Jazzmaster that had the same issue). Strictly on playabilty mods for now but I'm strongly considering doing some artificial wear to the fretboard.

10. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I think it will look cool. Subtle is probably the way to go. I recently only just discovered that Fender do road worn kit, I wouldn't use it myself, but for those that like the appeal, I think it's a great idea.

AntigonesAncestor likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.