Cutting the cord

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
About every month someone starts a thread about how they cut off cable or don't even have a TV. Well I'm not sure I could live with a TV. I need that passive entertainment sometimes.

Anyhow,.I just spent a week in an Airbnb that had a TV but no cable. .it had a vision TV that had a free service that came with it. Tons of channels and stuff I'd never heard of. I found a feast of old unsolved mysteries to dine on.

I couldnt get live news, but could get sort of the airport Version of CNN, clips and whatnot to stay up on current events.

No sports unless I wanted to watch 1998 world series or something.

The remote had a Netflix button. One of the prior guests left his account logged in. (Mrs flat6 has Netflix but I don't know the login details).

Interesting week without the usual stuff I have at home.

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
Quit watching TV a long time ago. Suffered withdrawal at first, but found better ways to spend my time(Read, play guitar, exercise, work on a project etc...)

Yeah I played a little guitar but this place was so quiet and nobody was in town. I either had the TV or my little am/FM/SW radio on to break the silence.

Jim_in_PA

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Went to streaming a few years ago. I would have just used OTA for the local news if I could, but that station is on low--VHF and wouldn't cooperate with antennas. So it was Hulu+LiveTV. Netflix is free from our TMobile relationship and we have Amazon Prime because, well...we "Amazon" a lot. Since I share our service with our older daughter who is a special needs adult on fixed income, I added Disney+ for cheap. I guess we probably pay about the same as we would have for "basic" service from the previous TV provider, but we get a lot more that we don't watch now. :D

Phrygian77

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
I can't even get a 'cord' where I'm at. I signed up for HughesNet, which is terrible, practically worthless. I ultimately got Dish too because their Internet service is so bad. I've been testing out T-Mobile 5G, but it's sporadic at best.

Flat6Driver

Friend of Leo's
I'm spending tonight in a hotel in PA. They have more channels than I have ever seen and the only thing worth watching is old Seinfeld reruns. Arg

57 Channels and Nothing on....

Dennyf

Tele-Afflicted
57 Channels and Nothing on....

This is the problem. And you can quickly get yourself back into cable-cost territory and more with streaming packages.

I like a lot of the free stuff like Pluto TV, Crackle, Tubi, Vudu, Shout Factory . . . If nothing else, there's MST3K on somewhere, including YouTube.

t-ray

Tele-Afflicted
Gold Supporter
I have been internet-only for at least 8 years. Generally, I do not miss the TV stations although I have missed getting some sports. I just signed on to YouTube TV and probably will keep it through NFL season. But, holy cow, dozens of other stations on there. Here's hoping I don't get addicted.

bumnote

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I cut the cord about 8 years ago. I have a Ruku on each TV with a Mac Mini also on the living room TV.
I sporadically subscribe to Netflix & Hulu...when I've watched everything I'll cancel them and sign up again later when I miss what's on there. Amazon Prime, have it for shipping mainly, has A LOT of stuff on there that interests me. The only permanent subscription I keep going is YouTube premium. No ads. No pop-ups.
I don't watch any sports, so that's never been an issue.

Ruku has a lot to offer for free...Pluto TV alone was worth the cost of the device. They have channels that are dedicated to things like MST3K, Bond movies, old sit-coms, Comedy Central, Action films, Westerns, music channels...there's a lot on that service. They do run occasional commercials, but they usually last only 30 seconds.
https://pluto.tv/en/live-tv/pluto-t...le - E&utm_term=pluto tv&utm_content=Pluto TV

Also, the DC stations have some pretty good sub channels...Comet TV, ME-TV...Movies! Is excellent.

getbent

Telefied
Gold Supporter
She wasn't with me.

this thread just got a shot in the arm!
do tell!

just kidding.

We have streaming that includes the local news... Hulu and Youtube both offer it.

everything in moderation, we watched the michigan game, but I only watched the 4th quarter (and OT) of the bama game. My kid is home and love OU, so it is on... we are doing other stuff.

There is great stuff on tv if you look.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Still cable guy. Need my intl news. Local Sports nature tcm or whatever I want. . After jam time of course May to go download streaming or rivers someday. Interweb thingy.

Harbinger77

Tele-Holic
What percentage of broadcast tv content is simply a person reading posts from Twitter?

Tv is dead, the people who won’t give up the ghost of arbitrary half hour increments of advertising vehicles will be dead soon enough.

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
We have some kind of fiber cable. I record whatever I want to watch on the DVR and then watch it ff thru commercials. Except Alabama football, of course.

I normally won't turn it on until it gets dark out. Miz Diane has hers on anytime she's awake. Much of that is white noise for her. She reads a lot.

I don't expect to ever cut the cord. Even the wasteland will produce a gem occasionally.

Obsessed

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I thank my parents for limiting TV in the house when I was a kid. I never got into the habit nor watched TV at home as an adult. I found out that I was a horrific Trivial Pursuit partner during the 80s, but I give lots of credit to my successes and accomplishments in life to not watching TV. My wife now streams movies quite often and I watch some of those, but I guess I don’t miss something I never had.

Last edited: