Cutting speaker baffle holes?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Little Ricky, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Newt522

Newt522 TDPRI Member

I find a jar lid of the proper size and screw it in the center of the hole(screwing through the baffle material into waste material below). A plunge router would work better; with a regular router you have to be careful not to cut the outside of the hole if you tilt it in. Also keep good inward pressure so it doesn't skate outward.

(A lid from Felix lingonberries is the right size for Jensen P10R's)

Attached Files:

GoldDeluxe5E3 likes this.
  2. Killin5

Killin5 Tele-Meister

Here is what I whipped up for my trim router. I only needed a hole for an 8" speaker.

I made a piece of wood to fit over a pivot pin and attached it to the edge guide that came with the router.
    Speaker Hole Jig.jpg

It is helpful it you have the outer part anchored so it doesn't move once it is cut free.

Speaker Hole Cutting.jpg

Speaker Holes Cut.jpg

3. mungus

mungus Tele-Meister

You can do this with a router bit, a piece of string, and a drill.

[​IMG]

Don't expect a perfect result though:

[​IMG]

4. Dave1234

Dave1234 Tele-Afflicted

Nor a full compliment of fingers?

5. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

I have my router screwed to a board so its acting like a router table. Then I:

Put a 1/8" hole in the center of the speaker baffle.
    Drill a ~9/16" hole in the baffle so that the furthest edge of the hole is right on the line I want to route.
    Put the baffle in the "router table" board with the 9/16" hole over a 1/2" router bit.
    Pull the baffle tight into the bit
    Drill a 1/8" hole through the center hole into the table
    Put a 1/8" pin into the hole (a drill bit works too) and then fire up the router and spin the baffle on the pin.

6. mungus

mungus Tele-Meister

All my fingers survived intact :) It really didn't feel dangerous - just not very precise. Good enough to be functional though, if you're careful.

7. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I've been using a Jasper circle jig for years. It's about $40, and a little fussy, but cuts perfect circles all day.

http://jaspertools.com/

8. mishagolin

mishagolin Tele-Meister

A good jigsaw blade with the saw set for minimal forward excursion and go slow. Then I just use an 80 grit belt from a belt sander and clean it up by hand. Works good enough for me.

9. mishagolin

mishagolin Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

10. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

I just did a 13.87" one with a jigsaw freehand following a line I made with a piece of wood on a screw in centre and a pencil in a hole at the proper radius. Piece of cake. I touched up a few spots with a rasp and sanded the final product. A half hour spent in total at most. I'd do it just like that again and will. Safe, fast, easy and I didn't have to run around finding and setting up a whole pile of stuff. A router on a string? Yikes!!! scary stuff. I must say though, a lot of you are producing some mighty fine holes. There's some cool ideas in here.

11. ItchyFingers

ItchyFingers Tele-Afflicted

Now that is cool. Other than the setup time, that is the best thing I have ever seen for making holes.

12. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

The Jaspertools site launched a popup that requires login, and doesn't allow me to do anything else with the browser (Firefox on Windows 7). I wasn't willing to touch the popup, so restarted the computer.

13. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

I ain't got no fancy tools, took a low tech approach. Last one I did, I pulled the chassis, cut the baffle to size, screwed it in the cab, replaced the chassis, laid it face down, placed the speaker where I wanted it (to get proper clearance from transformers, etc), traced the outline of the speaker with a pencil. Then took it apart, and with a compass, drew the smaller circle to compensate for the 1/2-3/4" width of the speaker rim. Then drilled a bunch of holes to edge of the inner circle, and cut the speaker hole with a handheld jig saw, sanded the cuts, and painted it flat black. Not rocket science.

14. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

I have a Cheney jig. It's a 28ga. Mod choke fixed to a drunk. You hold a piece of plywood at a specific distance with a picture of a lawyer on it and holler pull!

jaybones and xafinity like this.
  15. jmp81sc

jmp81sc Tele-Meister

My neighbor belongs to an Urban Workshop, which is a membership type shop with all of the cool tools.

They use water jet cutters to cut plywood. Perfect cuts for complex shapes and repeatable.

16. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

Holy back from the dead Batman

But I made a circle cutting jig. Basically a strip of plywood with the router bolted to it and a hole for a pivot pin or screw at whatever radius distance from the outer edge of the cutter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. OpenG Capo4

OpenG Capo4 Friend of Leo's

Works for making cornhole sets too.

18. Henry

Henry Tele-Holic

Where am I going to find a beaver in Australia...

19. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I take a nail. I drill a hole in my jigsaw guide. I drill a couple holes on the circle I've drawn. Then I put the guide over the nail. Adjust length of jigsaw guide to proper distance from nail. Plug in jigsaw. Go!

20. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

Maybe a platypus would work in a pinch?

Or go ask Sheila.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.