1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

cutting headstock shape/ not fitting

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by swg23, Jul 25, 2020.

1. swg23

swg23 TDPRI Member

Hello to all, I'm hoping if someone has encountered my problem they can share some advice.

I'm gathering parts to build my version of a Tele Deluxe and bought a uncut paddle headstock. As big as it is- when putting my template against it, the curve beneath the tuners is made so that the only way to get the complete shape would be to add about .4 inch above the nut before starting to cut. I could pull it back a little and change the shape between the nut and tuners- but would still have to add length because there's not enough room between tuner and edge if I lined up the nut. Well, maybe I could but it would be very thin and doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Would this extra cause any problems? Think it would be noticed and look bad?

tele deluxe headstock fit.jpg

2. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Friend of Leo's

so use a different headstock shape.Yo're not FMIC

3. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

The paddle is not wide enough that is obvious just from looking at the center line of your template if the sides had not been shaped then maybe you could of made something resembling work
    as Bry bluntly put it use a different shape

4. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Is that a Gibson-scale neck?

5. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

I did a fairly complicated operation on a wrong-shaped paddle to get a better shape on my Trini Lopez-style kit. It was a lot of work.

If you aren't hung up on getting a specific shape it can be much easier - trace the existing paddle and draw something that fits in there, with tuners spaced & aligned correctly, you're done.

20200318_204049.jpg

Andre Rock likes this.
  6. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

Mark the tuner side as in your picture.
    Then slide your pattern over and down. Trace it and bet that will be good.
    If needed you can make some adjustments to get a nice look.

7. swg23

swg23 TDPRI Member

The camera angle on original photo distorts the pic. The template shape fits, but it needs the extra length between nut and start of tuner side neck contour. Was hoping someone might have dealt with that before.

Seems it would lessen the tension on the nut- but enough to matter? Adding a bar type string retainer (floyd rose type) that goes across all 6 strings would correct tension issues- that leaves the question of it looking weird or freaky. New pics to show realistic template position below.

Dougstrum I think I understand what you're saying- mark the tuners and then reposition so that they sit higher in the headstock shape- correct? I hadn't thought of that. Thank you.

Tubegeek- I can see that you did have a lot of work to do!

Boreas- It is a 25.5 neck- but I was originally going to try a different scale. Didn't find anything that was in the price range I wanted and thus it wasn't to be.......... maybe later.

deluxe paddle position.jpg

8. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Just buy another guitar ...

Worry about it later ....

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Welcome to the guy in Hamilton County.

I would start with a template or tracing of the next smaller sized FMIC headstock and see if that fits, then the next smaller until you can get the whole headstock profile on there.

Otherwise it is too likely to look improvised or even goofy. I am thinking a Modern Strat headstock will be a fit, but if not, then Tele.

You need the volutes and all that to commence, at a specific place after the nut. IMO you cannot just slide the template up until it seems to fit.

10. Boreas

Here's a thought. Put the pattern on a copier/printer and expand it to 110% and see what you get, or try shrinking it to 90%. Perhaps something like that would get you closer.

Perhaps a standard Tele pattern?

Bella likes this.
  11. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

But be careful with that - there are only a couple of 6-a-side tuner spacings you can buy, make sure you match an existing tuner layout.

12. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I think I would try tracing it and then just adding the same shape to fit the wood-spend some time looking at it to see if it looks right to you. If not I think I would just go with a regular tele or strat style headstock (you could always cut a piece off the top and glue it on the bottom when it is a blank but this is much easier if you have a jointer

13. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

That looks like a tilt-back headstock on that neck blank. Not the best candidate for a Fender-style headstock.

This is the type you need:

[​IMG]

14. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Find somebody with a bandsaw and jointer and remove some of the waste on the left and glue it on the right. A glue line and some decal to hide it will be better than almost the right shape.

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

That little bit of missing wood behind the low E tuner won't hurt anything, IMO there's no need to move the template.
    Unless there's some other problem I missed, you have plenty of sock to mount the tuner.

16. Boreas

The way I look at this picture it looks fine. If you have a couple small flat spots after cutting, just blend them into the curve. I doubt it could be noticed.

One thing to make sure is that the pattern is centered on the neck, otherwise, the strings will be slightly angled to one side, which would be pretty obvious.

17. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Unless @Peegoo is correct, and it's an angled headstock, I'm not seeing the problem.

If it IS an angled headstock.... well, you should have led with that. And then I don't see the need for keeping the exact shape anyway. IMO.

18. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I think swg23's concern is the added distance between the nut and the low E-string's tuner post.

If that's a flat headstock, that shouldn't necessarily be a problem.

19. swg23

swg23 TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the great thoughts and info. And education- never heard of volutes before- had to do some googling on that. Oh- headstock is flat, photo distortion again.

The distance between the nut and low E tuner is/ was my concern.

I think I've found confidence to move forward- found a Jazzmaster shape template that is similar to the deluxe- slightly smaller. If I line it up and get the strings straight it does most of what I want- the rest I hope can be done by placing the deluxe template over it and getting the curved line from the narrowest point of the rounded top and out toward the high E string edge. So very much in line with what telmnemonis, Peegoo, Boreas collectively suggested.

Boreas, thanks in particular for pointing out the string alignment. I was positioning the template so that the edge lined up without thinking about the strings. Pointing out string alignment is what prompted the search that found the Jazzmaster. Being focused on getting the shape on the headstock was about to cause that string alignment mistake.

I hope this helps someone else. The paddle stock I bought off ebay seemed like it was a blank canvas to do anything with. Turns out the lower cuts beneath the tuners don't work right even for a standard Tele or Strat style headstock. The curve below the low E is cut too much and shaped wrong. So for anyone that searches the forums for headstock info, the type Peegoo posted looks like the better style to start with.

Think I'm going to make a template and not chance freehanding this- and have to retrieve some of my woodwork stuff that's not at my home right now- so may be a bit before actually getting this cut out. Assuming no devastating or embarrassing mistakes, I'll post a pic when it's done.

20. Boreas

Great - enjoy the process! I made a nice import neck last winter, but it already had the headstock shaped. It was a Gibson scale Tele knock-off. It turned out really nice.

One suggestion - if yours has a skunk-stripe you may want to fill the grain on the stripe before finishing. I didn't really notice it until I sprayed the lacquer. It is barely visible, but fingers can feel it very easily. I also have 2 Squier Necks where the skunk stripe grain isn't filled. Once you notice it, you can't un-notice it...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.