1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cutting a Bandmaster Cab down to size

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Wagster, May 12, 2013.

1. Wagster

Wagster Tele-Meister

I own two full-sized Bandmaster speaker cabinets (photo included for reference). I've been noodling the idea of taking one and cutting it down to make a smaller, easier to handle cab for my BM amp. However, I'm not sure if it would be worth the effort? Buying a new cab might end up being a cheaper alternative.

I know there are quite a few craftsmen on this forum and I'm just looking for anyone that may have done a similar project and how it came out. Any ideas, advice, plans or pictures would be most welcome.

[​IMG]

2. Rhythm Thief

Rhythm Thief Tele-Holic

I cut a Peavey 4x12 cab down to a 2x12 once. Easy enough to do, I did it with a jigsaw and a lot of thought and measuring! I wasn't too bothered about how the finished result looked, which is always a bonus.
    No pictures though, I'm afraid. But I can confirm it's definitely doable, even for a ham fisted idiot like me.

3. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

4. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

leave those sexy vintage beasts alone and get a proper 2x12. it'll cost you a hair more... but way more affordable than the beating your pride will take if you ruin a perfectly good vintage cabinet.

you can find some good unloaded 2x12s for about $100-150... just steal the speakers out of your big cab and you'll be set

5. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Boards are cheap. Wood grows on trees. Builld a new one rather than butchering an old one.

If you were local I'd trade you a fresh custom cabinet for one of those vintage behemoths.

6. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It would take as much labor (maybe more) to cut it down as to build a new one, if you do it correctly.
    Materials are cheap.

7. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Pick up a Bassman 20x30 212 cab. Done

8. surfneptune

surfneptune Banned

I did it once and I regret it. Those cabs sound good.

9. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Don't ruin that old cabinet.

10. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

This ^

11. Wagster

Wagster Tele-Meister

Trading one for a smaller cab is actually what I would prefer to do. Unfortunately, the odds of finding someone around here who actually has a cab AND a desire to trade are beyond astronomical.

And my main reason for considering chopping one up was just to keep from adding yet another cab to the ever-shrinking real estate in my garage....um....man cave.

BUT.... you all have convinced me that a new cab is the way to go. Building a cab is an option (I built the fearful bass cab in that photo) but finding the time right now might prove challenging. I've done a little window shopping and have found a few ready-made cabs that I could squeeze into my budget (and my garage!)

Thanks guys. I appreciate your honesty and insight.

12. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

if you're short on time... take a trip up to a lowes or a home depot. buy a big 4x8 sheet of birch ply... and have them cut it down to your measurements. im not very good with a table saw myself... and have made some pretty great cabs doing this. it only adds $2-3 to your cost... but you dont have to deal with so much sawdust in your glorious man cave :p

13. Wagster

Wagster Tele-Meister

Sawdust, and the implements necessary to manufacture it, are confined to my "emergency man cave" aka the he-man's woman hater club. (Currently, my table saw's only function is a jetsam and flotsam collection/drop-off point.) The "main" man caves' usual liter is pretty much limited to an astonishing variety of dead insects, dead picks, dead sticks, dead strings, an occasional dead amp and a few dogs that appear dead.

To say I don't have the time to build a NEW cab is not quite accurate. If I have the time to do a cab-ectomy on one of my BM cabs it should stand to reason that I would have the time to build a new cab. But the "rules of engagement" come into play here. To wit:

The time I spend "mucking around" with any of my existing "musical assets" is justified and uncontestable. So, for example, destroying one of my cabs would not attract any undue attention. My choice of "projects" occasionally provoke a raised eyebrow or a smarmy comment, but I know that no retribution will be forth-coming.

However, if I roll out a full-blown, NEW "musical" project that has not been previously negotiated, I open myself up to a variety of tortures that make CIA's treatment of terrorists pale in comparison. (this is when the emergency man cave really pays off). But there is a loophole in the "rules" where if I just buy a new cab outright, I can avoid any penalties including the dreaded "nooky sequester".

So....I will probably just go ahead and get a finished cab or at least one that will only require a modest amount of work and donate the "time" I save to making the wife happy (and horny). :rolleyes:

14. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

Spare the classic vintage cabinets from the chainsaw. If you want a smaller 2x12, buy one. Sell the classics to someone who wants them.

15. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

wait a second... your wife would rather you spend money on a new cab than build your own?! she enjoys your company more than your money?! i nominate you for the luckiest person on the planet

16. Tele-writer

Tele-writer Tele-Meister

Hey Wagster!
    I've got a friend in Macon named David Hayes who is a great amp builder. His cabs are excellent too. Here's the link www.hayesamplification.com

17. Wagster

Wagster Tele-Meister

Thanks...I will check that out.

18. SteveGangi

SteveGangi Tele-Holic

This. It would be a shame to chop up that cab.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.