Cut 'em up Teles of the past.

IPLAYLOUD

Friend of Leo's
Hey, it was their guitar.

Jack Jones bought this in Nov 1954. A '53 Tele that Semie Mosely worked on. jack still gigs with it.
ZZ JJ Trio 1959 20 cropped.jpg

Dean Porter.
OGBW Tele cut LJD.jpg

Speedy Haworth. Just enough to get to the last fret. He later had a R/W board on a Strat lacquered to feel like the older Maple ones.
S
OGBW Speedy H cut tele.jpg

Don Harris. It was Sparkle Yellow then Sparkle Purple. The pickguard has sunken into the paint.
Painted Grey between the frets. B16. He later played Violin with Frank Zappa.
OGBW Don B16.jpg

Unknown Chicago guy.
OGBW Tele DC red played lefty.jpg

Red Mansel did a number on this one.
Tele doublecut 2.jpg

The Checkmates.
Tele doublecut.jpg

All photos from "Old Guitars in B&W" on FB.

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I hope none of these unique instruments will be 'restored' rebuild to original spec when they change hands.

I think you're right about that. It's one thing if Angry Johnny butchers a guitar in the garage, and it's quite another is a great player (even if obscure) from the past makes an instrument his own, or is it?

This is an interesting topic to me.

The Question.... What makes an old modified guitar butchered vs charming?

That lady's old Les Paul that was modified which, if I recall correctly, Joey B. bought for more than it was worth, showing his class and understanding of the question, is a nice case study.

The old Hagstrom that was just posted here today is another interesting example, despite being a attempt to get a free appraisal in the "Welcome Wagon".

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/need-help-identifying-hagstrom-guitar.1109700/

I think I like that one more than I would have liked it as it came out of the factory.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
The double horn cutaway must've been a pretty popular mod back in the day. I've seen several vintage over the years that were modded this way. Cool pics man!

Billy3

Tele-Afflicted
The double horn cutaway must've been a pretty popular mod back in the day. I've seen several vintage over the years that were modded this way. Cool pics man!
Double cut telecasters are cool Imo. I am also a lefty so I have always liked symmetrical guitars. Easier to play when strung backwards.

Bill

Poster Extraordinaire
I wonder if it came about partly in reaction to Stratocasters being "the cool new thing"?

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

It's kind of surprising how much weight comes out when you cut a double cut guitar design/mod.

My favorite player-modded relic but we're ok with it guitar is EVHs Frankenstrat. So many guitar buyer's approve that $20k replicas are regularly sold out there.

Crossing the Butchered vs Charming line is set by the player's popularity.

hmemerson

Tele-Meister
Platinum Supporter
Players popularity among the then members of the folk-music scene notwithstanding, here's the guitar that 'killed the folk music scene', courtesy of Mike Bloomfield! Photo lifted from Vintage Guitar Magazine.

UhZFAde.jpg

But on a positive note, they did address the stupidity of having to remove the pick guard to adjust the neck pickup.

Regards,
Howard Emerson

hepular

Tele-Afflicted
Hey, it was their guitar.

Jack Jones bought this in Nov 1954. A '53 Tele that Semie Mosely worked on. jack still gigs with it.
View attachment 1019877

Dean Porter.
View attachment 1019862

Speedy Haworth. Just enough to get to the last fret. He later had a R/W board on a Strat lacquered to feel like the older Maple ones.
S View attachment 1019864

Don Harris. It was Sparkle Yellow then Sparkle Purple. The pickguard has sunken into the paint.
Painted Grey between the frets. B16. He later played Violin with Frank Zappa.
View attachment 1019866

Unknown Chicago guy.
View attachment 1019867

Red Mansel did a number on this one.
View attachment 1019868

The Checkmates.
View attachment 1019870
All photos from "Old Guitars in B&W" on FB.
hey! i went to hs w/ & am distantly related to kevin . . .

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
I think some of these early double cutaway Telecasters could have been done by Fender themselves. There have been some "one offs" come out of the Fullerton factory for specific customers and friends of Leo that were not publicly offered models. I have seen some Strats with weird hardware on them as well.

Fretting out

Doctor of Teleocity
I think some of these early double cutaway Telecasters could have been done by Fender themselves. There have been some "one offs" come out of the Fullerton factory for specific customers and friends of Leo that were not publicly offered models. I have seen some Strats with weird hardware on them as well.
If that makes you sleep better at night….