Custom Vibrolux Reverb-Amp Brigade

Discussion in 'Amp Owners Clubs' started by boris bubbanov, Jun 20, 2009.

1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Not technically a re-issue because this PCB modern tube amp has more in common with other Fender models than with the original Vibrolux, this is one handsome, manageable sized but still seriously loud and gorgeous amplifier.

[​IMG]

Any one agree?

Please pardon that funny blue guitar in the way of the picture of the amp.

2. lotis52

lotis52 TDPRI Member

Yep. Big bang for the bucks.

3. purpletele

purpletele Friend of Leo's

Count me in

[​IMG]

4. lioncommandking

lioncommandking Tele-Meister

Count me in man!!! This is one hell of an amp. It has somewhat of a bad rep for hiss. I say handle that and get to know the tone an know that she'll rock with the best. Out of all the amps I have this is my favorite.

5. lioncommandking

By the way I don't have any pics yet, but thems some real purty geetars too. Love the blue Boris!!

6. FiddlinJim

FiddlinJim Tele-Holic

I'm in by way of losing a friend and him willing it to me. It's been shipped and will arrive tomorrow.

I'll see how I like it; may end up doing the "Moyer" conversion to VibroVerb circuit...

7. lioncommandking

you might try a speaker and tube change first. I did. I think it sounds quite a bit different from stock. You can hear it on Youtube. Type in Custom Vibrolux Reverb. There should be three videos done by "Lioncommandking". Two on the first page and one on the fourth page.

8. lioncommandking

By the way FiddlinJim, I am truly sorry to hear about the lost of your friend.

gmann likes this.
  9. FiddlinJim

FiddlinJim Tele-Holic

Thanks for that bro, he was a giggin' fool, that's for sure! I'm honored that he chose me to carry on with his rig ('62 tele custom RI MIJ from '88) and this amp. I'll give it a workover and at very least install a bias pot if it doesn't have one and do some comparison of tubes.

10. lioncommandking

Yes sir! That is honorable and very apparent brotherly love! That is the only changes I've made to my amp is a bias pot, speakers, and tubes. Of I've always thought the Vibrolux sounded good stock, except for the noise. But I've heard that the mods are quick and inexpensive if you know how to solder. My soldering sucks and I don't read schematics very well so I was afraid to try them and kinda like what I have now. Good luck and gig in honor of your friend!

11. Chuck F.

Chuck F. Tele-Meister

I love it also. It's been my main giging amp for 14 years.

12. lioncommandking

Question;Boris,Lotis,Purpletele, FiddlinJim and Chuck! What kind of speakers are you guys runnin' in your CVR? I feel its hard to get the amp to sound bad with almost any speaker. I was just curios about some of the sonic textures that others were coaxin out of this amp with different speakers?

13. lioncommandking

Geez fellas, come back. I didn't mean to be offensive!

14. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Those Japanese '62RI Teles are pretty good. I've really dug the ones I've tried.

15. boris bubbanov

Hadn't been reading this thread, sorry!

I've got the stock speakers in mine. I've only heard a few others; none that struck me as different - I just assumed they were stock.

16. lioncommandking

Thanks for the reply Boris. I also have always felt that the stock speakers were pretty good. Actually I'm referring to the Jensen P10Rs. I don't know why so many people trash them. I am just one of those people that is always tone searching. But I thought those were pretty good. As for the Fender blue frames, I currently use one of those together with a Weber right now and am quite satisfied with the tone achieved.

17. FiddlinJim

FiddlinJim Tele-Holic

I've got a mixed pair of Weber 10F150 and 10F150T speakers on the way for my CVR. I think Ted (RIP) was big on that combo and a good friend and amp tech friend of mine recommended that as optimal. They should arrive Wednesday. I ordered them just before Ted died.

My buddy had been complaining that it had "lost its twang". I just thought it was his Gotoh 6-saddle heavyweight replacement bridge (which I replaced with a vintage), but the real problem was that the bridge pickup (a VanZandt) was dead. I transplanted some Duncan Five/Twos in it and it's the best playing and sounding tele I've ever had in my hands. Despite the basswood body and rw fingerboard, it's bright as all getout.

18. lioncommandking

Thanks for weighing in FiddlinJim. I'm very glad you did becausing I had no idea that Ted had passed away. I had only heard he was ill.(RIP)Ted.
    I was using the 10f150-10f150T combination when I opted for the 10F150- Fender blue alnico combination. The blue alnico gives a little more glassy sparkle which I like.
    I had never said much about my tele because its not a freal Fender (Peavey tele), but it does sound nice.

19. boris bubbanov

Lioncommandking, I see you're in Marrero. How about that!?

If I had a recent Fender tube amp, and I wanted a pro to go over it in the N.O. area (not a warranty claim) is there anyone you'd recommend?

I mean, someone whose life is in order and doesn't fall out too often?

Much obliged.

20. lioncommandking

NOLA Guitar&Amp Service
    Kevin Specht
    [email protected]
    1-614-425-1063
    M-W 9am-7pm Thurs.& Fri. 9am-5pm
    There is more info on services in his ad constantly on Craigslist New Orleans, music.
    And you're right, I just noticed you may be in New Orleans. Sure would be nice to hookup sometime!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.