"Custom Tremolux Reverb"? Should I?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by swampyankee, Jan 19, 2016.

1. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

I have a Moyer modded Custom Vibrolux Reverb which is redundant since I recently bought a Vibroverb RI. The plan is to sell it to fund the purchase of the VVRI, but I have this crazy idea that just might work!

I picked up a Bandmaster VM for gigging. It's nice and all but it's got it's limitations. I've thought about picking up a vintage Bandmaster head, but I like having onboard reverb, and the drive channel and delay have some use.
    I could pick up a SF Bandmaster Reverb, but I'm thinking, for close what I'd spend, I could take my CVR and convert it to a head. That way I'd get that nice Vibroverb-ish spring reverb and tremelo with a punchy closed back 212 cabinet.
    The '60's Tremolux was a head/cab version of the Vibrolux after all. I could call my creation a "Custom Tremolux Reverb". :D

Would it be a travesty (or just economic foolishness) to break up a perfectly good CVR? (I would keep the cabinet so it could always be converted back). Although I already own the CVR, I'll still spend $200 or so on a head cabinet. If I sold the CVR I could have $700 +/-. Is there another Fender reverb/tremelo equipped head that would be in the price range? If so, what?

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Fwiw, the '63 Vibroverb, its Reissue version adn the CVR you have are unlike any other Fender 2 X 6L6 amp in that they have bias vary tremolo and tapped treble pots. The Tremolux is not a head version of these amps in that the 6G Tremolux does not have reverb. The AB763 Tremolux is a head version of the AB763 Vibrolux, which is a 12" combo amp without reverb. Teh AB763 Tremolux is kind of a AB763 Bandmaster(non-reverb) excpet het Tremolux carries 2 x 10 instead of 2 x 12. All 3 of these amps have optoisolator trems. Their circuits differ from the later Vibrolux Reverb, which was introduced in 1964 as a 2 x 10 combo, in that these AB763 circuits do not have reverb adn the Vibrolux Reverb does.
    some say the modern '68 SF Custom Vbirolux reverb has bias vary trem...I haven't seen the schematic or teh circuit board so I do not know this for sure. IF so, then the 68 Custom Vibrolux reverb is the only other 6L6 Fender guitar amp that has bias vary tremolo....and I have to guess that if it does that it was built on the '63 Vibroverb RI PCb as was the first Custom Vibrolux Reverb--like your CVR.
    All of that said...I think a head version of the CVR would be a great amp....e.xcept that it is not a heavy combo anyway so why make the package bigger and more cumbersome. A 2 x 10 combo is more manageable than any other 6L6 combo except a 1 x 12, imho.

3. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

I realize the CVR/Tremolux wouldn't be historically correct, but I wasn't worried about the technical accuracy of the circuit and all, since the CVR was not based on any Vibrolux with that circuit anyway. I just thought coining the name "Custom Tremolux Reverb" was a neat play on words.
    I don't find the head/cab cumbersome in that it's easier for me to bring a head to practice and leave a cabinet there. And the punchy closed back cabinet sound is what I bring to the band.
    I really like the features and sound of the CVR (it does sound great plugged into the 212 cab), and since it's now redundant, I just thought it would make a great upgrade/backup to the Bandmaster VM head.

4. Wally

Agreed that hauling it in head form is a lighter and smaller load if one is not toting the cab, too. Since the amp has a reverb tank, one might consider doing what Fender did for the Bandmaster Reverb and Dual Showman Reverb heads. That is, build the head cab taller. This eliminates the possibility of noise due to the proximity of the tank to the transformers, and one can install 2 x 8" speakers in the cab as well...a mini-combo in size...for times when one doesn't want or need a large cab. (;^) Yes, Fender provided for those 8" speakers in those tall head cabs...and some of those amps were outfitted with such.

5. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

I thought the VM head size would accomodate the necessary CVR componentry, but a SF Reverb head would suffice as well. I might consider a Prosonic head if I could find one for the right price, since having onboard drive in a separate channel is a nice feature of the VM.

6. Wally

swampyankee, be advised that the Pro Sonic head does not have reverb and is voiced differently than is the Pro Sonic combo. The viocing can be changed....the lack of reverb can't.

7. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic

Hmmm...didn't know that. I'm thinking now I should just sell the CVR - or at least attempt to - like I promised my wife. If I can't get a fair price for it, then "sorry dear, it just isn't selling", and I could maybe mod it into the head I'd like. If it does sell, then I might be in the market for a genuine Bandmaster or SF Reverb head down the road.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.