Custom T-type, custom guitar strap

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by LGOberean, Jul 14, 2019.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago about my latest custom T-type, my Logan Custom "Firecaster II." It arrived from Delafield, Wisconsin on the 28th of last month. I took pictures and posted them in the thread, but as I said then, I'm a lousy photographer, so I would later post pics my wife took, since she's far better at photography than me.

Well, I never followed through on additional pics in that thread :oops:, and so better late than never, I guess.
    06-28-2019 - Logan Custom Firecaster II, Beth's pics - 1.jpg 06-28-2019 - Logan Custom Firecaster II, Beth's pics - 2.jpg 06-28-2019 - Logan Custom Firecaster II, Beth's pics - 3.jpg 06-28-2019 - Logan Custom Firecaster II, Beth's pics - 4.jpg 06-28-2019 - Logan Custom Firecaster II, Beth's pics - 6.jpg 06-28-2019 - Logan Custom Firecaster II, Beth's pics - 11.jpg 07-13-2019 - Firecaster II - 2.jpg

And now, another custom item, a hand-tooled, carved, engraved leather strap that reads "Firecaster."
    07-14-2019 - Firecaster strap finished.jpg

David is a friend I've known for 51 years, and he has carved leather for as long as I've known him. Through the decades, I've had belts, wallets and checkbook covers made by him. When I wanted a Bible rebound, he took on the challenge of learning rebinding and recovered a Bible for me. So it seemed a natural thing back in July of 2008, when I got my first Logan Custom tele, to have David make a custom strap for it with the word's "Larry's Tele" engraved on it. A year later, when I bought Bob's prototype of his "Logo" thinline, I had David make another strap that read "Larry's Tele 2."

Of course, I have acquired more Logan Custom guitars since, but I rarely take more than two guitars to a gig, so I've just used the two custom straps. But when I ordered my latest Logan Custom, my second Firecaster (pictured above), I figured I needed a strap that said "Firecaster." So here it is. David and his wife Susan don't live in town anymore, but they're coming in to meet us for supper, and to deliver the finished strap. More pics to follow.

2. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted

Nice work by Larry
    How do you like the straight plate pickup? How different is the sound?

3. Erdowonge

Erdowonge Tele-Meister

SEXY!

LGOberean likes this.
  4. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Holic

I would swear that guitar is looking at me.

hellopike and LGOberean like this.
  5. LGOberean

I'm not sure if your comment "Nice work by Larry" meant that I built this guitar or carved that leather. Just to be clear, Bob Logan of Logan Custom Guitars in Delafield, Wisconsin is the one that built the Firecaster (a telecaster style made with Long Leaf Pine lumber salvaged from our house fire in 2010), and my friend David made the strap.

As for how I like the straight plate, I like it very much. Since it's a custom guitar, that bridge plate is a feature I specifically asked for. It's Bob Logan's stainless steel bridge plate, which he has in either slanted or straight pickup orientation, and I have both kinds. It's not my first tele from Bob to sport that style of bridge plate, either:
    05-29-2019 - Logan Custom BSB.jpg 06-30-2011 - Logan Custom BSB - 3.jpg

I can't say for certain that it makes a big difference in tone. To say that, I'd need a guitar with the same pickups but the different bridge plates to say definitively. However, I believe it tames the treble a little bit. For me, I chose it mainly because it looks cool, and amongst tele players, it always attracts attention and elicits questions.

:lol::lol::lol:

I've heard similar comments about my Logan Custom teles over the years. One local guitarist came up to me at a break in my gig, and asked if he could play while I was taking my break. As I started to offer him my acoustic/electric to play, he point to my mahogany Logan tele and said, "No, I'd like to play that tele. It's calling to me!" :lol:
    My Logan Custom mahogany, 2008 - front.jpg

BB, djh22 and nojazzhere like this.
  6. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

That's a beautiful guitar and a beautiful strap to match. What kind of wood is that beauty made of? And is it a thicker body than usual?

And I, for one, would love to see that recovered Bible. Does David have a website?

God bless you and yours, LGOberean.

Owenmoney and LGOberean like this.
  7. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted

I thought your buddy’s name was Larry. I guess my reading comprehension isn’t the greatest.

LGOberean likes this.
  8. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Nice strap. Your buddy does very nice work.

9. LGOberean

The top and back veneers of Firecaster II are made from 83 year old planks of Long Leaf Pine salvaged from our house fire in 2010. The body core is basswood, with the edges stained dark walnut. The guitar's dimensions are standard tele measurements, including the thickness.

As for the Bible, I bought it new in 1985, but it had a bonded leather binding, which is the particle board of leather, so a dozen years later, it was falling apart. I asked David to rebind it for me in 1997, which he did, including hand tooling the cover. It's a little worse for the wear these days, not only because it's 34 years old, but also because it came through the house fire, heavily water damaged. But I still can't bring myself to throw it out. The cover is still in pretty good shape. Here it is, showing David's skill with working leather...
    NIV Study Bible DWB binding.jpg

Oh, okay, that explains it.

BB, djh22, nojazzhere and 1 other person like this.
  10. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Really beautiful guitar, sorry you had to burn your house down to get such gorgeous piece of pine. Actually it’s cool that something beautiful came from your loss. Cool strap too. I love the book matching on the guitar. Your Logan’s are all real cool, but I think this may be the best looking of the bunch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LGOberean and El Tele Lobo like this.
  11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I know I've seen a number of pics of your Logans before, but I guess I never noticed the straight bridge pickups before. Interesting! Mine has the typical Tele bridge, with the bass side of the pickup closer to the nut. However, I've bought a lefthanded Wilkinson bridge, so that the TREBLE end of the pickup is closer to nut.....just waiting for the right time to try and install it. Not sure how, if any, it will affect sound, but i am intrigued with the idea. Obviously, if and when I ever get around to it, I will report here with any opinion.
    Thanks for posting the pictures, Larry.....feel free to post more of your Logans every day! ;)

LGOberean and El Tele Lobo like this.
  12. Smokin OP

Smokin OP Tele-Holic

Sweet!!!!

LGOberean likes this.
  13. LGOberean

I didn't mean to ignore this question. Short answer, no. David worked for 40 years in a local refinery, just retired earlier this year. For all the years he's carved leather, it's been just a hobby for him. Most of the things he's made for me through the years he hasn't charged me for, apart from the cost of the leather. He has taken orders for other items (he's rebound several Bible), but it's all done by word of mouth. I told him people have asked me about his straps, and asked him if he would take orders for guitar straps. He said, "I'll consider it, but it's always been my hobby. I don't want it to become my job."

BTW, I didn't let David get away with doing another strap for me at cost. I asked him when I ordered it what he would charge, and he found a way not to answer me. So I researched on etsy (?) what 2-tone, carved and engraved 2-1/2" leather straps were going for, and paid David accordingly, $200. And I refused to take any of the money back when he said I paid him too much.

Okay, now. Here are the additional pics I promised. The Firecaster strap by itself, showing David's "brand" on it, the "pick pocket on the underside, and alongside my to other DWB guitar straps, Larry's Tele (2008) and Larry's Tele 2 (2009). It's interesting to see how they've darkened over the years. Oh, and then the strap on the guitar, which means I'm wearing it, so you'll have to endure pictures of me to see the strap on the guitar. Try to focus on the beauty, not the beast. :oops:

07-14-2019 - Firecaster strap finished.jpg 07-14-2019 - DWB Firecaster strap - 1.jpg 07-14-2019 - DWB Firecaster strap - 2.jpg 07-14-2019 - DWB straps - 1.jpg 07-14-2019 - DWB straps - 2.jpg 07-14-2019 - DWB straps - 3.jpg 07-14-2019 - DWB Firecaster strap - 3.jpg 07-14-2019 - DWB Firecaster strap - 4.jpg 07-14-2019 - DWB Firecaster strap - 5.jpg 07-14-2019 - DWB Firecaster strap - 6.jpg

14. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Very nice. And a very nice thing you did for David also. He sounds like a great guy. And I understand his position. I feel the same way about building partscasters. I love doing it, but wouldn't want to do it as a business. MAYBE finishing bodies only...I'd have to think on it, but full builds for money? No thanks.

Great pictures, man.

LGOberean likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.