1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Custom Shop Twisted Tele retail set - Bridge?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by kohoutec, Jan 18, 2021.

1. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

I'm hopefully doing a deal on one of the FSR White Blonde Baja's in the next day or two (which I'm very excited about as always wanted that finish!)....however, one of the previous owners took it upon themselves to remove the standard Baja TT/Broadcaster pickup, and replace them with Suhr Classic Ts. They also ripped out the S1 switching, and whilst that's coming with the guitar the original pickups are not.

I'm sure the Classic T's will be fine pickups, but I will most likely want to "Re-Baja" it :)
    I'm not too fussed about the S1, having owned a Baja previously i never used it, but that neck Twisted Tele pickup is most definitely something I want back.

I notice the retail Twisted Tele set comes with a different bridge pickup to the broadcaster that comes as standard in Baja's. Does anyone know how they compare? Ideally I would want to find a broadcaster bridge pickup, but they aren't any for sale here in the UK that I can see, so will have to wait for one to pop up on ebay/Reverb
    So, in the interim I plan on installing the Twisted Tele set, but curious about that bridge, it looks hot?

Sorry - I know it's been discussed before, but I couldn't find much regarding a comparison between the Broadcaster and Twisted Tele bridge

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  2. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I "baja"ed my FSR with the TT/Broadcaster Fender Custom Shop set. Be aware that there are phony copies of these out in the marketplace.

kohoutec likes this.
  3. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Friend of Leo's

Fender produced two versions of the Twisted Tele neck pickup, the one in the Mex Baja and the other in the American Standard 2012 which is the same as the retail set.

The Baja pickups are Fender part 0072267000 Pickup, Twisted Tele, Neck and 0072268000 Pickup, Vintage Tele, Bridge.

Obsessed likes this.
  4. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

How is the twisted tele different from the '51 NoCasters set? Just curious, because my '96 Am. St. Tele supposedly had a CS Broadcaster in the bridge and a CS TT in the Neck from the factory. I ended up replacing them with '51 NoCasters because that set simply sucked compared with the '51 NoCaster set. Ironically even being as bad as they were it was still the best guitar in the shop when I got it, even when compared to the new Teles that were in there when I looked repeatedly over the course of a month.

5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I can't answer your question, but someone here must know.

6. blues

blues Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I had a Twisted set in my Wildwood thin skin.

From what i understand I dont think the bridge was the broadcaster type

The bridge was to hot for me. Closer to a p90 type sound in my opinion

I measured it when i took it out. 10.74K

If your looking for more of a classic tele sound a feel the hot twisted tele is not what your looking for.

kohoutec likes this.
  7. Veitchy

Veitchy Tele-Afflicted

All subjective, but in my experience:

The Twisted Tele neck is, for the most part, very similar to a Strat pickup under a Tele cover. Taller bobbin and magnets. The bridge pickup is, to my ears, similar to a hotter mid-50s voiced tele pickup.

The Broadcaster set is more early-50s voiced. More mid presence, less spiky treble attack in the bridge. They're often a bit higher output in the bridge (depending on when they were made)as well. The neck is mellower and less scooped than the TT neck. It's worth noting that for a while the Broadcaster set that came in CS guitars and the set available for retail were somewhat different too.

The TT neck/Broadcaster bridge set is one of the most commonly specd Tele sets in CS guitars, though personally I'm not so fond of the neck pickup as I prefer the character of a Tele neck pickup. The market would suggest I'm in the minority there.

8. GuitarsBuicks

GuitarsBuicks Tele-Holic

Where would I procure one of these actual Fender Broadcaster sets? I have the NoCasters, but I wouldn't mind having this set either in reserve or in one of the several planned DIY builds that will be happening here in the new year.

9. Veitchy

Veitchy Tele-Afflicted

To the best of my knowledge, the specific set/s known as Broadcaster from the CS haven't ever been available for retail sale. Various runs of Nocaster pickups have been sold, and they're pretty similar. You can track them down without too much hassle. In the last 5 years or so very early blackguard pickups seem to have been pretty popular with custom winders so you could contact Don Mare/Mick Brierley/Monty/whomever you like and see if they do a set.

If for whatever reason you have to have the Fender units, then keeping an eye on Ebay or Reverb would be your best bet. Occasionally people will replace them in their CS guitars, however in my experience this is uncommon and they always go for a pretty penny.

10. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

Problem solved. The deal on the white FSR Baja didn't happen, but I did instead pickup a lovely Desert Sand example.
    It had been rewired as standard, with a 3 way switch and no S1...I never really cared for the S1, but do enjoy that 4th position sometimes, so will be getting a 4 way back in the soon.

It had a bit of fretwear but did a level and crown on it yesterday and it's all I want in a Tele. Doesn't weigh a ton either which is nice PXL_20210122_214207471.NIGHT.jpg
    PXL_20210123_120951050.jpg
    PXL_20210123_143109693.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.