Custom shop thinline with neck dive issues

Mojojonesing

TDPRI Member
I have a custom shop thinline with neck dive issues. Does anyone have any advice on how to provide a counterweight in a reversible manner? An elegant solution, like something that could be slipped in through the f-hole no routing required? Thanks in advance one and all!

chris m.

Poster Extraordinaire
Maybe a fishing weight sewn into or attached to your guitar strap just above where it attaches to the bottom of the guitar body?

The other thing is if you have a wide guitar strap that has a rough texture, such as the suede side of leather, then the strap's friction against your
shoulder can prevent dive pretty well. Just don't wear a slick textured shirt.

upload_2021-12-2_12-37-34.png
upload_2021-12-2_12-37-34.png

SixStringSlinger

Poster Extraordinaire
Lighter tuners and a strap that will "grip" your shoulder a bit. If you wind up putting anything in the guitar, mind that it doesn't knock around and damage the electronics/wiring.

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Meister
Silver Supporter
A strap with a gripping texture is the most sensible solution unless you don't mind adding weight to the guitar. Adding a Bigsby may not be advisable if the construction of the body doesn't allow it. I inquired about adding a Bigsby to my Warmoth thinline to the guys at Warmoth and they advised against that.

cherryburst1

Tele-Meister
Come on now, I save that for overshoes for some of my close personal friends
I couldn't help myself....
This is my serious recommendation: Remove and weigh the neck. Then weigh the body loaded no neck.
The weight difference will give you a small clue where to start with counterbalancing. Actually, you don't have to add anything to the guitar. Since the strap is the fulcrum point, you could add the weight to the strap somewhat close to the rear strap button. That would offset the pull from the neck/hardware.
Good luck!

Mojojonesing

TDPRI Member
I couldn't help myself....
This is my serious recommendation: Remove and weigh the neck. Then weigh the body loaded no neck.
The weight difference will give you a small clue where to start with counterbalancing. Actually, you don't have to add anything to the guitar. Since the strap is the fulcrum point, you could add the weight to the strap somewhat close to the rear strap button. That would offset the pull from the neck/hardware.
Good luck!
Thanks for the thoughtful response. Now that is practical advice...

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
-You could use a full length old fashioned strap that attaches to the head stock.
-You can add a little weight to the strap at the butt. A wrap around velcro pouch of sorts.
-If it has locking tuners change to light weight tuners.
-A little pouch made of velcro with weight inside and a velcro patch gorilla glued inside the F hole and back toward the end.

Mojojonesing

TDPRI Member
-You could use a full length old fashioned strap that attaches to the head stock.
-You can add a little weight to the strap at the butt. A wrap around velcro pouch of sorts.
-A little pouch made of velcro with weight inside and a velcro patch gorilla glued inside the F hole and back toward the end.
Thank you the last tip was ingenious and pretty much what I was looking for

dreamingtele

Friend of Leo's
Thank you the last tip was ingenious and pretty much what I was looking for

Those little battery pouches that's powering pickups in an acoustic, those have velcro at the back that you can try to stick inside the body, if you can get your hands through the F hole though..

I had that problem, and it took a few necks (lightweight) to balance the whole guitar.. I ended up putting a MIM standard neck on mine.

Untitled by D Y, on Flickr

Maguchi

Tele-Afflicted
I have a custom shop thinline with neck dive issues. Does anyone have any advice on how to provide a counterweight in a reversible manner? An elegant solution, like something that could be slipped in through the f-hole no routing required? Thanks in advance one and all!

I'd start with lighter tuners.

Maybe a fishing weight sewn into or attached to your guitar strap just above where it attaches to the bottom of the guitar body?

The other thing is if you have a wide guitar strap that has a rough texture, such as the suede side of leather, then the strap's friction against your
shoulder can prevent dive pretty well. Just don't wear a slick textured shirt.
I had the same problem with a newer Fender Mexi-Thinline with locking tuners. The next dive was bad enough that it distracted from my playing. I ended up selling it. I have to agree with the posters above, change-out to light tuners, get a wide strap with texture and fishing weights in a little fabric baggy either in the F hole or control cavity.

ne.jpg

tho618

TDPRI Member

My Thinline neck dive I was able to fix w some Fender Classic Gear tuners. They drop right in if you have 10mm holes.