Custom shop Telecaster classic 50's

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by golfnut, Oct 11, 2019.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

On my hunt for a Custom shop Tele in a 50's style I came across this one local to me.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/city...0s/1465298138?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I'm just wondering for any of you who are familiar with this model, what makes it a 50's? It doesn't look very 50's to me.
    Are the necks on this model generally fat?
    I've emailed some questions to the seller, so hopefully I'll hear back soon.

2. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Well so much for answering my questions. His response was "sorry i forget the information about it but you welcome to see it"

Hes almost 2 hours drive from me, probably 3 with the traffic and the dam gardener expressway is closed completey this weekend and some areas closed till spring 2020 which will make the trip probably longer.
    How can you own a guitar like this and not know anything about it? Too long of a trip not knowing the basics of the guitar.

3. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Meister

Telecasters came out in the 50's.. I know thats a tenuous link but that's literally the only 50's thing about that. Looks like a nice partcaster as opposed to a custom shop job.

4. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

Fender has a serial number search. I put the serial number in and it was listed as a Custom Shop American Classic Telecaster in white blonde with gold hardware and a maple board. Looks like the real deal.

I think a CN5 serial number would probably indicate a CS from 1995, as well. (Edit: N5 would be 1995, but Fender's site says the CNXXXXX numbers don't work like normal ones, so 1997 isn't out of the ballpark.)

The "50s" style might refer to the neck shape or something, but wasn't in Fender's results.

5. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

What serial number did you get. I couldn't see the pic very well but on the back neck plate it looks like ON507418. But when I search it, it comes back unrecognized.

6. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

It's a CN Serial number series. The guitar is most likely genuine because I can see the Custom Shop stamps on the back of the head stock. It also has A VERY NICE birds-eye maple neck. To get the details, call the Fender Customer Service in Phoenix ( Scottsdale ) AZ and give them the Serial number. They might be willing to email you the Shop Floor Traveler it shows everything you may want to know.

I am going to give you some advice..

If you want a Custom Shop Tele... Go for a Fender Customer Shop NOCASTER or a Tele '52 with the NOCASTER set pickups. They typically come with a "fat" neck so be aware of that BUT I have two of them and I love the big neck. I believe some of the sound / sustain comes from that ( personal opinion )..

MichaelDCarter and scelestus like this.
  7. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

As Kontaktmoi said, I saw it as a CN. The rest looks accurate to me. The older CS neck plate stamp and headstock logo look a little cheesy compared to newer ones, but they look authentic to me. That's just what they looked like then.

8. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

I think you should look at the thin skins from Wildwood. You might find something you like.

DanDII likes this.
  9. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Not going down that road again. I've been burned too much by Wildwood to ever buy from them again and the last 52 thin skin they sent me the fretboard edges were so over rolled and the frets were so aggressively beveled that it was virtually unplayable. After getting a supposed good review on it from the salesman. Heres a hint don't trust their supposed "hands on" review. They're just going to say all guitars are good. They sent me a 56 thin skin strat with a broken truss rod the set off a chain of events that ended up costing me a lot of money.

MichaelDCarter likes this.
  10. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

My experience is that calling a guitar 50s or 60s is just saying thin or fat neck

11. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

And that is broad strokes..... LOL So my suggestion is to really get the Shop Floor traveler that gives you ALL the pertinent information.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.