1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Custom Shop Road Show- Beetle Kill Pine

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by coloradojeff, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Opaltone

Opaltone Tele-Holic

FYI - The tree is killed by the pitch canker Fusarium fungus, which is brought in by the beetles as they bore into the tree. Healthy trees that have not been stressed by drought can expel the beetles by exuding pitch; this is essentially the tree's immune response. Without adequate water resources, drought-stressed trees cannot flow out their pitch to protect themselves. So, although beetles and fungus are involved, this is really a drought disease that is now very widespread. It is incredibly sad, to me, to witness this loss and transformation of our majestic forests. But, what the heck - at least we're seeing some awesome axes come out of this tragedy ;-)

2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The beetles (or is it their larvae?) can be killed by a cold snap in winter, but I think it has to get really cold and for an extended period. I'll simply say there is less of that these days.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  3. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Bark Beetle is a problem up here as well. A few years ago, I saw controlled burns going on in the Rockies.

4. mtnpicker

mtnpicker TDPRI Member

I’m from the Co Rockies and it is sad to see the devastation from the Beetle kill. Thousands upon thousands of acres of mountainside which used to be fertile and green are now dead and brown. The warmer winters are not killing off the beetles and I don’t see it getting better any time soon. Summit County where Breckinridge is has been hit really hard. It really needs to either have some really cold years or be burnt. The problem with burning, is all the mountain homes that have been built in these areas.

It’s good to see something good come out of it though. Those guitars are awesome looking!

5. Null99

Null99 TDPRI Member

You are on a list, somewhere. Lol

coloradojeff likes this.
  6. paulbearer

paulbearer TDPRI Member

It’s like the trashfish of wood...
    And most is 15 years old, max.
    You want the 200 year old white pine. Dry as a bone and rings like a bell.
    Note the last 2 sentences here:

Timber quality

Wood from beetle-affected trees retains its commercial usefulness for 8 to 12 years after the tree has died, but its value drops rapidly, for within several months, the escaping moisture blows large checks and cracks from the outer perimeter of the wood deep into the heart of the tree. The remaining moisture escapes more slowly, causing small cracks throughout the timber. This causes difficulties for modern high-output automated sawmill operations and greatly increases the lumber losses and the labor to produce high quality wood products. This so-called 'shelf life' is dependent on a number of factors, including economic and stand site conditions. The trees remain commercially viable longer conditions. In areas where it is wetter, the trees tend to rot at the base and fall faster, especially if they are larger.[17] The fungus that is carried by the beetles and kills the trees causes blue staining of the sapwood at the perimeter of the tree, but it does not affect the wood's strength, nor are there any harmful human health effects. Blue stain is, however, considered to be a defect in the lumber grading standards and thus is considered a 'down-grade' resulting in a lower commodity market price. All these factors have severely limited the production of blue-stain wood products

Greggorios and El Tele Lobo like this.
  7. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I made a body with a 2x6 that I believe to be kill beetle pine. I thought it was just kind of an "ugly"or "funny" looking piece of wood I saw in the pile at Menards. I like it.

img_20170226_010113063_720.jpg

8. Eric Rasmussen

Eric Rasmussen NEW MEMBER!

Two beauties! I really think I want to build a pine Tele. Thanks for sharing these pics!

9. alesplin

alesplin Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

It's not readily available as lumber, per se. When they closed big huge chunks of the logging industries in the '90s the beetles started spreading, but there's nobody cutting down the killed trees (at least not enough to prevent the massive forest fires that have resulted). So there are thousands of acres of standing dead trees (or in many cases standing burned trees) but nobody to cut them down at a scale that the lumber would be cheap or readily available.

El Tele Lobo and frisco kid like this.
  10. churchman

churchman NEW MEMBER!

Gives me an idea. I burn that stuff all winter. I have huge rounds in my garage for firewood. It mainly is lodge pole pine, the beetles swept through here 20 years ago, although still around in a few pockets, they killed 80 percent of the forest. As stated a blast of cold will kill them but it needs to be 30 below for at least 5 consecutive nights. The blue stain is a fungus but does nothing to the wood for being structural. I have a real old time saw mill up the road 25 miles, they get many of the trees, I like to buy from the as they are a dinosaur in a Chinese world. They do a good business.
    So doing another tele project here, may be back for advice.

11. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

It paints a picture. A distracting picture.

coloradojeff likes this.
  12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

We had a thing going for a while, where people used Katrina damaged materials to make guitars. However in time, the appeal of this faded away and you can probably just give these novelty guitars away now.

Some people say "wood is everything" and others say "wood doesn't matter" and I'm in the middle. I think using spalted or otherwise degraded wood, punky wood has the potential of handicapping a guitar or providing it with a relative short life span.

We camp in parts of Colorado (June, July, September, October) and I want to pull the car over and just break down. These losses are awful. I don't want to be constantly reminded of how tragic the situation is there. Just like I didn't care to be in the room with guitars that celebrated the tragedy of Hurricane Katrina.

Greggorios likes this.
  13. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My question exactly…

Greggorios likes this.
  14. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Gosh I've had two large pines in my yard die from Beetle infestation. Had no idea they could be worth anything or useful. I sure like the way it looks though.

15. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Riminds me of the beach.

16. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

Those are really pretty looking guitars!

I'm glad to see that folks are making good use of some of that beetle killed wood :).

It's a heck of a lot better than burning it!

The spread of those bark beetles and the huge conifer die-offs really didn't have any thing to do with any cut back in logging activity.

The beetles spread and the trees die whether there is any logging going on or not.

In fact, the big lumber producers don't want to have anything to do with beetle kill timber and they are certainly not going to bid on any tracts of it.

The beetles spread indiscriminately, other than the fact that they need warm enough winters to survive.

We saw the spruce beetle kill start on the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska in the early 1980's, and it was stunning because there was really no precedent for it on the scale in which it was taking place.

Back then I did a lot of flying because. as often as not, flying was how I got to and from the jobs I was working then. It was enough to make me feel physically sick to see thousands and thousands of acres of brown dead trees.

It took awhile to catch on and understand what the big picture was.

What we were witnessing was an early stage effect of global warming.

Even in Alaska, the temperature no longer got cold enough for a long enough period to keep the beetles in check. In fact, from what we are now seeing, the global warming effect is more pronounced at the poles (in the Far North and the Far South) than what we see in the more temperate regions.

g

17. BigDaddyLH

^^^ I don't want to press "like" but +1!

old wrench likes this.
  18. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

… you are living on the edge BigDaddy

19. BigDaddyLH

At least the views are pretty.

old wrench and tery like this.
  20. Pooks

Pooks TDPRI Member

Well, I finally got around to starting my version 'inspired' by these. I just used lumber that I had around and the stain in mine isn't nearly as pretty as the CS ones posted but I'm happy. This is my first ever build so I didn't want to go crazy spending $$ on too many nice materials. The lumber I used for the body actually has a few old worm holes which will be epoxy filled or covered by the pick guard. (One of them is visible next to the neck PU.)

I nixed the idea of doing a belly carve and realized what I really wanted was an arm contour. I generally like the look of un-contoured teles but the lack of any arm contour I find really noticeable while playing. So I decided to do a subtle one and I'm REALLY happy with how it has turned out so far.

IMG_6853.jpg IMG_6852.jpg

Steve 78 and frisco kid like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.