Custom Shop Nocaster Not All I Hoped It Would Be

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by Coyoteaz, Jan 20, 2020.

1. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A bit off topic, but... I've learned that people sell guitars for many reasons unrelated to the guitar itself. I'm leery of a listing that's sat for a long time, but otherwise, I try not to assume anything.

I bought an AV52 recently, and while I was hesitating a bit, the buyer said this was a special one, and that I wouldn't be disappointed. Yeah, yeah, but something about the guy, I didn't dismiss it entirely.

Well, he was not wrong. I've never felt so good about a guitar purchase. Instant bonding. Turns out it was his favorite guitar, played the crap out of it, and had to sell because of some very short term money crunch. A month later he contacted me to make sure I was still happy with it. I said I was, and that he had been right. He said OK, just checking, because he was looking for another good one, and would have liked to buy it back. Nice guy, but no, sorry. I'm keeping this one...

2. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

as always "I think to myself why is this car ,guitar , being sold?"

Coyoteaz and DrPepper like this.
  3. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

ditto

Coyoteaz likes this.
  4. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

If you do a lot of bending and like low action you'll struggle with those tiny vintage style frets. I know I do. I do a lot of extreme bending and for me its not a good mix.
    I know some will chime in that they bend and have no problems. As if that tells us anything. Everyone has a different idea about what low action, etc.
    Yes a good setup can make somewhat of a difference but it will never be set up as good as what a guitar could be for me, with 6105 frets and 9.5 radius. I don't give a **** what was good enough for clapton, etc.

Coyoteaz likes this.
  5. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It tells us the same as you saying you do have problems.

If it were you, seems you'd not even need to play it to decide it wasn't for you. Fair enough. But for anyone going to play a guitar, a well-set-up one is going to evaluate better than a poorly setup one, no matter the specs.

Hatfield92, El Tele Lobo and Coyoteaz like this.
  6. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Yes I did say "for me". I've owned and played enough of those vintage specs that I no longer pursue them. I prefer the vintage inspired with the right modern appointments. Some like it straight traditional. I'm good with that.

Coyoteaz likes this.
  7. Red Baron

Red Baron TDPRI Member

I'd email Fender with the serial number and ask for a copy of the build sheet. As another person mentioned earlier, if its got a 9.5 radius then it shouldn't have vintage frets.

Rasher, El Tele Lobo and Coyoteaz like this.
  8. Gitarpete

Gitarpete NEW MEMBER!

Ok so I've been here a few times with amps and axes that I didn't like up front. I had every intention to sell em as soon as. Yet after a few weeks I'm always ok with them. Don't judge too soon and hold your horses before you sell as you might find it's not the axe, it's just that it's taken you out of your comfort zone. And sometimes that's a good thing.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  9. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

Your NoCaster looks quite nice, but I have a question about the details. You say it has a 9.5 radius...are you sure? I am no expert but I surely would have thought the NoCasters would have a 7.25 radius.

I own a ‘64 AVRI Telecaster (7.25 radius) and 2 partscasters I put together...both 7.25 with 10-46’s on all, and no problem bending strings. Perhaps a good setup with factory specs and you may find it work to your liking.

Hope so....good luck.

MickM and El Tele Lobo like this.
  10. RRCaster

RRCaster TDPRI Member

What neck does it have? If it's a "U" shaped neck, I'd hate it too.

11. Irondog

Irondog TDPRI Member

it's probably the No caster pickups, I did not like them, way too vintage, as well as too much bass EQ.
    I really like (love) the twisted telecaster pickup set 10 Kohm. Himthey have some power. but easily clean up to vintage tones. Most players these days are used to having a slightly more powerful pickup, all of our amplifiers and rigs are set up that way, even the modern vintage pickups have a few extra winds, when they go back to the 1950s it's just too weak, for me. ~7.2 Ohms bridge weak for me. unless you only play or want clean

I'll bet anything if you put in higher resistance pickup the guitar will come to life.:)
    should be easy to flip it. I do give it 12 weeks before I put it on reverb though.
    good luck

12. Popov

Popov TDPRI Member

You don't grow into a guitar ...... it either sings to you at first meeting, or it doesn't.

Life is about learning lessons and an important one of those is moving on if things aren't right ..... I'd sell it toot sweet and keep looking.

Pete

13. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I’ve been done with Fender Guitars for quite some time.
    “Vintage Frets” are absolutely worthless. Albert Collins and SRV figured it out decades ago...why can’t Fender?
    ...but stan...it’s “original”...Hey snap out of it! Would You go to war with a musket?

I doubt if I’ll buy another Fender or Gibson. I’m all in with Squier and Epiphone products.

Reason: I do not like being ripped off.

twangdude likes this.
  14. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I used to HATE vintage spec fender necks with 7.25" radius and vintage wire...then I bought such an all parts neck for a build for cheap. I ended up loving it! It took some time to get used to though. Never be afraid to try something new. Plus, different radius necks and different frets cause me to play differently and focus on different elements of my technique. Not a bad thing I don't think.

A CS Nocaster, if you take care of it, could be readily flipped anytime for a good return on investment. What's a few weeks?

15. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Plus, you can say in the listing..."recently set up by a local luthier." #ValueAdd

telemystix likes this.
  16. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I play most easily and naturally on vintage radius and vintage fret necks. Consider that your preference is just that. Yours. And a preference. Not a universal truth.

17. Tele Plucker

Tele Plucker Tele-Meister

I realize we all experience things differently, but I would like to say this.

I’ve been playing for a very long time, with my collection of guitars including a 1967 Gibson ES-335 and my coveted 1964 Fender Stratocaster.

About 4 years ago I decided to acquire a new ‘64 AVRI Tele...my first electric in the mid 60’s was a late 50’s Tele (wish I still had it), yes, I had been longing for a Tele and even made 2 Parts-casters as well.

It took me a few months to get used to the Tele’s, all with vintage mid 60’s style necks with 7.25 radius. I couldn’t be happier with the journey and the results.

Now I rarely play the Stratocaster or ES-335.

So in opposition to your theory, I say a person can become one with a new guitar if they spend the time working with it. Of course the sound of the instrument is a whole separate issue.

So if you’re not in a hurry, give it some time....then decide.

58814D20-CF61-4805-9D24-48BDBB162C1B.jpeg
    Parts-caster. 64’ AVRI Tele. Parts-caster

Play on..

MickM and Southpole like this.
  18. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sell it or return it.

I'm a big time modder and novice builder. After a grand of my money, I already anticipate doing just that if it ain't a 90 percent "fit". Also, CS don't mean much to me when it comes to a Tele.

19. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

I agree. I’m not that familiar with CS spec Teles but a Nocaster with 9.5 radius seems odd to me. And I’ve never encountered a 9.5 radius neck with vintage frets. Normally folks who want a modern feel neck get modern radius and fret size. But hey, Custom Shop can make anything it likes.

20. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I'm not a fan of vintage frets myself. Tough to bend, not vibrato friendly, and in my experience, wear down quickly. That said, I would not modify that guitar. It's worth a pretty penny just like it is, and as such, should go a long way toward "trading" for something that you will like. A good setup and the right strings may help but I know that I played a Strat for 20 years that I felt the same way about; it was all I had. Still have the guitar, still don't like the way it plays.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.