Custom Shop Nocaster Not All I Hoped It Would Be

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by Coyoteaz, Jan 20, 2020.

1. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Are you sure those are vintage frets? They look like med/jumbo...at least in the photos.

Give it a set up. 12 years old, it's either been setup for it's previous owner, or sat in the case for a long time. I'd play with the pickup heights first since you like the sound of your other Teles better. That might solve that problem. If it's been sitting in a case and largely unplayed, your other Teles will feel nicer since you've broken them in.

2. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

You'd laugh and point at my Number One. I bought a student electric from the Charlotte, North Carolina Salvation Army to save wear and tear on my "good" guitar. My cheapo became my good guitar. There are two or three little tweaks I want to treat it to but for the most part I just play it.

It will be easy to replace if anything happens to it but I'm kinda bummed. I haven't seen that guitar under a hundred bucks anywhere.

:D

(moved to fit context)

My old man used to build classical guitars when I was a little booger. Yup. A farmer who built classical guitars.

He has an Eric Herz harpsichord in his living room. He plays appallingly bad.

I still have aluminum templates for classical guitar bodies and bracing, modified Torres style bracing.

I had a few spruce top sets and Brazilian rosewood body sets.

… so if it were me I'd score a chunk of "The Tree" and have someone build me something that would make a pre- war Martin whimper and hide under the bed.

I'd build it myself if I had been building guitars instead of amps for the last forty years.

Get you a grey Jim Dunlop .88 pick and play that Guild 'til it has a hole in the top.

I have a small herd of cheap classicals. I don't go after them, they come to me. It's like back on the farm. People would decide we needed another cat and hey, ho! We'd have another cat.

The Fergusons have no idea how many cats they have in their barn.

I tune a couple classicals in open tuning or DADGAD or whatever. I leave 'em in the kid's play area when I go to festivals. Some kids use 'em like they're sand pails and fill them with small rocks. Future Rock Stars chong on them with conviction.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

3. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Modifying it is an expensive way to keep a guitar you don't like.

4. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

If you already have a Baja and a Road Worn why were you even looking for another Tele?

5. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

When I got my MIM Thinline RI with vintage specs I was worried about adjusting to the big, glossy neck and the vintage radius... I normally prefer RW boards, never liked the gloppy stuff... But what was REALLY hard to adjust to were the vintage frets. I was squashing the strings, flubbing and killing notes, my chords sounded awful. Once I adjusted, learned to have a lighter touch, those vintage frets became my favorites! Now when I pick up my guitars with medium jumbos I'm squishing, slopping, and sticking until I readjust again (only takes me about a half hour now that I have more practice switching).

My point is that the different frets not only feel different, they require a different approach, and until you work that out the guitar's gonna feel weird, won't play as well in your hands, tone will be off...

So, I'd say stick with it for awhile. You might be pleasantly surprised!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  6. Coyoteaz

Coyoteaz TDPRI Member

Thanks for all great feedback guys. You all are awesome! I'll live with it for a few months, get it a pro setup and see if that helps.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  7. telemystix

telemystix Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

PRO SETUP

then play it for a couple of weeks-

if still not feeling it- Nocasters have decent sell/trade value!

NicDo, El Tele Lobo and Coyoteaz like this.
  8. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

Good idea!

I just went through a similar learning curve with a new Strat. Has EVERYTHING I consider ideal about Strats but was leaving me cold. Tone was almost muted to my ears.....

THEN I stopped A-B'in with a killer Telecaster! The Telecaster ingrained my ideal of tone so deep anything different was "bad". I tried all kinds of set up etc and considered selling then decided to case all other guitars and just play the Strat!

Just a few days ago it really clicked! I learned how to coax some amazing tones out of it and am totally in love with this thing! Perfect compliment to my #1 Tele!

So my advice case all your other guitars and play around with the CS. Remember many of your amp and effects setting may be WAY off what this one needs to shine! Have fun with doing something different!

Kontaktmoi, JL_LI and Coyoteaz like this.
  9. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

Sell that neck get one you like. Paint the guitar purple and put some GFS hot rails in it. :lol: JK of course. But I would try another neck off one you like before I sold it.

Coyoteaz likes this.
  10. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

But the OP purchased a guitar built in 2008... I'm sure it could use a setup by now, no matter how good it came out of the factory. ;)

11. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

I'm thinking few understand "the Tree" significance...

It's a specific huge mahogany tree that fell and was found to have unreal figuring, and happens to also sound incredible. I have only seen them built by luthiers, and expensive at that.

12. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

Another great point.....your original point is now relevant again. What ride this has been......:lol:

Coyoteaz likes this.
  13. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Holic

It was in tune when I bought it.

14. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Well, almost any wood sounds incredible when the right person builds it. If I built a guitar from The Tree, it’s a sure bet it would sound like ****.

*puts down can of worms and steps away*

Coyoteaz likes this.
  15. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

now I'm confused. I thought the reason that G&L was still in business because of situation being described in this thread.

vid1900 likes this.
  16. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Holic

That guitar should have the NOCASTER sounds as-is. Did you check and measure the impedance of the pups?? Just in case someone changed the pups for some combination of other stuff. I have several guitars, a Nocaster 2000, a Nocaster 2006, a Tele '52 with NOCASTER pups, and a few custom build that also have the Fender CS Nocasters loaded. I am thinking sound is separate from play-ability. Check the pups out, take the pickup guard off and see what these pups look like. As far as the neck is concerned, those Nocasters are just a large C ... typically. Do you have the SHop floor Traveler?? It will tell you. If you don't have that SFT, call Fender Customer Support and ask them to send you that form, it's a Bill of materials with the total built and parts. It also tells you radius and frets used as well as dimensions on the ZERO and the TWELFTH fret.
    In the mean time, I agreed with several of the folks.... this neck will grow on you....LOL.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    dwh100 and Coyoteaz like this.
  17. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

Well, that is certainly a consideration!
    But those I have seen from Bruce Sexauer or Froggy Bottom have a $4k upcharge.

I have actually considered one as I intend to give myself a retirement gift!

Coyoteaz likes this.
  18. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Gift away. From what I have seen, it’s spectacularly figured wood, and if a top-notch luthier puts it into a guitar, it will be awesome. Just saying it’s not a magic pill.

(As an aside, I was born in Latrobe.)

Coyoteaz likes this.
  19. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

I was not (Latrobe). But for the time being, am ok with the area. Home to Fred Rogers - NOT Pittsburgh FYI - and Arnold Palmer. I used to live across the road from the Latrobe Country Club and wanted to grab a 7 iron and see if I could finish one hole before being nabbed.:)

I truly understand the magic pill comment, and agree. I never buy without playing it first; each of those builders offer one spec-built.

Coyoteaz and Dan German like this.
  20. DrPepper

DrPepper Friend of Leo's

Guitars are like cars and motorcycles, if it's used and for sale... there's a reason...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.