Custom Shop Nocaster Not All I Hoped It Would Be

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by Coyoteaz, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Coyoteaz

Coyoteaz TDPRI Member

Picked up this 2008 custom shop Nocaster off of reverb last week. Really good shape. Beautiful guitar. Sounds pretty good. Big old neck on this thing with a 9.5 radius on it. It has vintage frets on it and I hate them! Hard to bend notes and I just don't like the way they feel at all. I'm debating sticking it back on Reverb and selling it or putting new frets on it. 6105's possibly. I also have a Baja, road worn, and a partscaster that all play and sound better then the custom shop. Super bummed that I'm not loving this guitar. I'm hoping that after I spend more time with it I'll change my mind. 20200118_234810.jpg
    20200118_234847.jpg

2. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

It certainly looks great. I know a lot of people will say swap this or that but truthfully, I believe if you don't like something because of the way it sounds but especially because of the way it plays I would move on. Of course, changing cosmetics such as pickguards and such is no big deal.

But if you already have a roadworn that you like better and a partscaster then you'll always most likely feel like it's second or 3rd in line. And with a custom shop nocaster that shouldn't be. And who wants to own a nocaster just to say, I own a nocaster, if they don't really like the way it plays. Personally I could never see me owning more than 4 to 5 guitars (if that) and that's if I had all my dream instruments.

Just to be clear everything I said is just my opinion, and may not even be true for me in all cases. Sometimes it takes time and people fall in love with guitars after a little while. I know I didn't help you any by immediately contradicting myself but that's the way it is. There is no set rules.

By the way, since it is a custom shop. I am not sure if a refret to a different size would hurt your resale value if you still hated it.

So in the end, I would say keep it maybe 3 months. No refret. Play it everyday and not the other ones. Fight the urge. Then pick up your road worn. If it feels like home, and you breath relief, and don't miss the nocaster. Then sale it. What a long reply, huh? :lol:

3. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Are you absolutely sure the radius is 9.5?
    All NC with this radius had 6105 frets.
    Maybe this the regular one with the vintage radius

http://www.fendercustomshop.com/retired-models/

(hit "2009" and scroll down,2008 models were the same with 2009)

G-52 and Coyoteaz like this.
  4. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

All part of the journey ... I'd just flip it and look for a different style CS tele instead

5. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

I agree with @Chick-N-Picker 100%: stick with it for some weeks, no mod.
    If you cannot be able to bond with it, let it go. Since you bought it used, you should be able to get most (if not all) your money back.

6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

In addition to giving it some time, I'd get a pro setup. So often issues of playability and even tone are resolved with a good setup.

7. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

It's often that way when we meet icons. The Nocaster and Broadcaster were revelations for their time but for us nowadays things have moved on. Most people find them limiting as standard. For trade country obviously they're great.

Coyoteaz likes this.
  8. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

High money equals high expectations.

I stop in Action Music near DC once a year. The whole top row over there is used Custom Shop. There is always somethin hanging on that wall I could bond with.

I'd get over to Rainbow Music every so often if I lived in Arizona.

I have half a dozen guitars in my bathroom. Don't you?

Makes me feel like a rock star.

This is rich material for comedy. For example the Les Pauls are confined to the crapper.

I did the math. I could load every guitar I own into the car, schlep 'em over to Music Go Round and hock the whole pile. I might get enough dough for a Nocaster neck.

They have a mighty fetching CS Strat hangin' over the counter, a gold over sunburst Super Relic.

Dan German, Coyoteaz and Greggorios like this.
  9. Chick-N-Picker

Good point. I didn't even think of that for some reason.

El Tele Lobo and Coyoteaz like this.
  10. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Buying online is a bi%$*h! Ive had a few CS lemons, if it don't feel right today doubt it will feel right in a month. Down the road they go. Good Luck!

11. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Yes, the reason is because every CS guitar should be beautifully set up out of the gate and needing only personal preference adjustments.

There can be no excuses for Fender if they release badly set-up guitars. In my view with CS you are paying a very large premium for what should be close professional attention to the product quality in all that entails.

12. Chick-N-Picker

I'm just the kind of guy that would rather have those very few, or even one guitar that I bond with and that is my guitar. Like Willie Nelson and his N-20 or Brent Mason and his 68 telecaster. My dream instruments would pretty much be

1. A mid 50's Telecaster or equalivent copy.

2. A Gibson L-1 or possibly L-00. Either one would honestly be fine.

3. A Martin D-28 with pre-war bracing. So that's either an actual pre-war D-28, a D-28 Marqui, a D-28 authentic, or a 2017+ standard D-28.

4. A classical of some sort, most likely a Martin.

5. Perhaps a Gibson ES-335 but with a great electric telecaster why would I really need it?

Maybe I just think this way because I've never had many guitars and only have 2 now. My Guild and a cheap classical. My Guild is very special to me because of where it came from but it's such rough shape I rarely play it anymore. Maybe if I had more money to buy guitars with I'd have more than 4 or 5 total. But I don't think so. It's just how I am. I don't need, couldn't play, or ever bond with 3 D-28's, 5 Telecasters, etc, etc. Some people can and love having 8, 10, 20 guitars and that's fine.

I have always thought if I get rich I would buy the 4 or 5 guitars I wanted and instead of gathering up guitars for dust I would search out and find musicians and help them get a good guitar that maybe they dream of. I know that sounds overly nice but I'm still going to write it off on my taxes....might as well......:D

Coyoteaz and Telecaster88 like this.
  13. Chick-N-Picker

That also is a good point and explains my reason. Sorry @moosie your point is now moot......hahaha. Just kidding.

Coyoteaz likes this.
  14. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

Don't believe the hype.

Coyoteaz and TeleTown like this.
  15. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Frets are cheap in the big picture. If it were me, I would refret it first and if you still don't like it, then you can use the new frets as a sales point.

Coyoteaz likes this.
  16. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

It's a 12 year old guitar - it's a long time since it left Fender.

stnmtthw, Southpole, MilwMark and 8 others like this.
  17. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I’m confused. @Coyoteaz didn't say it was badly set up. He said he didn’t like the skinny vintage frets.

Have I missed something?

I’ve had great guitars that I didn’t bond with and flipped them quickly. Once you have a niggle, you’ll always have it in the back of your mind.

Good luck and tells us what you decide.

:) Peter

Coyoteaz likes this.
  18. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

He said it doesn’t play and sound good compared to his other guitars too. In my limited experience, frets alone are not responsible for this. Neck shape, wood, pickups strings and setup are more important.

I’d give it new strings and a good setup to be sure, but don’t expect miracles.

The neck is the single most expensive part in the guitar, so swapping or modding it makes no sense. Swap the guitar.

Coyoteaz and PeterUK like this.
  19. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

When I first laid hands on a vintage spec tele, i really hated it for the first few months.

like you, I had a Baja (9.5”, medium jumbo) and a roadworn (7.25”, 6105 frets), Also an American Professional (9.5”, narrow tall frets) those three are really nice feeling teles..

When I finally bought my dream AVRI 62, i also had the same thought, refret to 6105, done. BUT, i waited. 6 months. Playing it, soldiering on, focusing on my playing and my style, then I decided to have it set up by my luthier. Fret levelling, dress and crown, the whole nine yards.

now, its my number 1 and I even bought a second tele with vintage radius and frets. The feel is really nice, the feel of the board under my fingers. I feel more connected to it. Then when I switch back to my modern tele’s, especially the ones that have taller frets, i need some adjustment as I go sharp on fretting notes. And I hate it. And im back to my vintage spec teles. :)

give it some time. Love it. Play with it. Teles may be the simplest guitars ever, but its always been known to fight you until you can master it.

jdw3, JL_LI, Coyoteaz and 1 other person like this.
  20. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

Have you restrung the guitar with your preferred strings? This can make a big difference.

Coyoteaz likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.