Custom Shop Neck on Squier Classic Vibe Custom?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by MarkF786, Jul 2, 2020.

1. MarkF786

MarkF786 TDPRI Member

I have this crazy idea to put a Fender Custom Shop telecast neck on a Squier Classic Vibe Custom. I recently did the same with an American Standard Stratocaster, and the thicker neck made a large difference in the playability and sound of the guitar.

With the CVC, I've already replaced every part but the neck and body, and though the neck has good fretwork and is good in most ways, it's too thin for me and there's a dead spot high up the neck, only noticeable when using distortion. The dead spot is not due to a high fret, but rather a resonance in the neck.

My thought is I could replace the neck - and maybe sometime down the road even replace the body (then reassemble the CVC, starting all over again!). But who knows, it may be "good enough" with the current body. It looks to be four-piece body though, and doesn't feel as resonant as my other CS tele.

Thoughts?

Seattlesurfer likes this.
  2. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

It’s a tad more extravagant than I’d go, but I’ve happily put a Baja neck on a CV50s, and it took it from a good guitar to a great one.

I’d take a CV with a neck swap over pretty much any Fender until you get to like the $1500 and up range. Seriously. The CVs have solid bones. I can get by just fine with them stock, but yeah, putting a neck on that you love (regardless of the cost), and you’ve got a really really good guitar.

MarkF786 likes this.
  3. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Tele-Meister

To me, the "last stage" rebuild of that guitar puts a lot more money into a guitar that I would have bought and thrashed as it was. If I were going to spend that much money on a guitar (guitar purchase + upgrades) I would have bought a Player, Deluxe Nashville or American Standard. But that's just me. Even a used American Deluxe would probably be less money that you have tied up in the Squier. That doesn't mean it's not a rockin' guitar, it's just that after modding a Squier that much it's unlikely you would get any return on your mods compared to selling an American Deluxe (for example) if/when you decide to trade or sell.

4. MarkF786

MarkF786 TDPRI Member

It’s not really a question of economics, but rather a project that evolved over time, regardless of the economics. I’ve had the guitar for 8 years or so, and went through two phases of upgrades.

When I first bought it, I wasn’t a Tele guy, and meanwhile had many other guitars that, a few worth over $10K. Now I’m more into Tele’s, and have a 52 CS Tele, but have enjoyed tinkering with this one.

I could skip it, and get another CS Tele, but I’d still have this one to tinker with.

Really, I’d be happy with a less expensive neck upgrade, but I want it to be a Fender with a rosewood board, 9.5”, fairly thick, and there aren’t many options. Maybe I just go the Warmoth route instead.

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Just don't forget, the Warmoth necks, while nice and playable, vary in really evident ways. Appearance wise.

The maple drops away so abruptly, above the area of the nut. The shape of the headstock, while "Licensed" differs markedly from any FMIC model I can think of. And the reversed transitional area from the heel to the neck section isn't remotely like any FMIC product except the short lived Ultra model.

Guys like me, buy them sometimes and know them well - and we can spot even a "harmonized" Warmoth neck from 15 miles away. That's an exaggeration. Make that 14 miles. This could come to vex you. Can't always say, which guy will suddenly become annoyed by these "Kilroy was Here" signature cues that Mr. Warmoth probably adopted years ago to fend off litigation from FMIC, that appear on a product offered as a Replacement for a FMIC product.

In other words, legal permission to ape something, to make a clone of it, doesn't obligate the holder of the license to actually do an accurate reproduction - Warmoth has some models that are less inaccurate than others, but they're all singular in shape and there's simply not enough wood, that you can sand away the excess to uncover a FMIC look alike neck or body.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  6. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

A neck is the business end of a guitar,so if you aren't happy with a neck,well....

I have a Baja neck on a CVC,works really well for me. The body is the only original part.

7. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I’d save some coin and go with an Allparts TRO-FAT. $109 unfinished on eBay. Don’t buy direct from Allparts unless you wanna pay more. Great necks. If you don’t wanna mess with finishing the neck yourself, I’m sure there are some already finished out there if you did some digging. Good luck!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.