1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Custom shop Handwired 64 vibroverb ri questions.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by buckwalder, Nov 22, 2017.

1. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

I just bought this amp last night and it appears that the original owner never touched it . Its looks to have left the factory yesterday. Even the cover is mint.
    The only things missing are the box and whatever was inside the envelope that was stapled to the inside of the cabinet.
    I haven't played it yet..so I hope it works lol, I have it scattered about the living room and the kitchen right now to get pics of everything should I decide to sell it someday.
    Anyway, my questions are...does anyone know about how many of these were made ?
    Mine has a tiny round fender 60 medallion between the footswitch input and the stock modified switch....does this indicate 2006 ?
    I can't seem to find much info on this amp and,when I do find any info some confuse it with the brown 2x10 version from the 90s.

2. tombm3

tombm3 Tele-Holic

They were made from 2001ish until 2009. I would agree that yours would be from 2006 60th anniversary year.

I have asked Fender about total quantity made and was told that Fender won't release that information. Which is sort of weird since they have limited edition guitars and amp and have runs of 300s or 500s or whatever.

My gut is telling me that the new '64 Deluxe Reverb Hand Wired will be a bigger seller for Fender than the '64 Vibroverb but then again, with no posted numbers we will never know.

3. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

To be continued,
    I'm not sure I will have the time to put this amp back together today.
    It looks like it has never been used so, I'm trying to figure out a way to power it up slowly before hitting the standby .
    It has a ton of Illinois capacitors in it so I hope they are of good quality.
    So far I see no sign of leakage from any of the caps and all solder joints appear to be perfect.
    When I fire this thing up and if it turns out to be a dog I will put it on ebay with a 5.00 buy it now.
    Lol

4. tombm3

tombm3 Tele-Holic

I'll give you double that. lol

buckwalder likes this.
  5. tombm3

tombm3 Tele-Holic

Ampwares says 2003 - 2008 but I know I bought mine new in 2009. I guess it could of been built in 2008 and sat in the warehouse for a year.

César Díaz passed in 2002 and I remember the Fender annual catalog saying it worked with César on the development of the amp in 2001. I think that's where the 2001 came from so I'll go with the 2003-2008 build years.

6. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

I,mean sure the Dr will do better as far as numbers.
    That's a popular amp.
    I enjoy the gut shots of the Dr and the hype over the blue molded caps.
    Which,by the way look nothing like original blue molded caps.
    I love the way fender works its customers.
    It's like a slow tap of new vintage correct features.
    Thanks,
    Shipping from my area will be extremely affordable .
    I might even give you a break.
    10.00 plus 1600.00 in shipping and non handling.
    Seriously though, thanks for your input with of what you know about this amp.

7. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

I'm not sure I will have the time to put this amp back together today.
    It looks like it has never been used so, I'm trying to figure out a way to power it up slowly before hitting the standby .
    It has a ton of Illinois capacitors in it so I hope they are of good quality.
    So far I see no sign of leakage from any of the caps and all solder joints appear to be perfect.
    When I fire this thing up and if it turns out to be a dog I will put it on ebay with a 5.00 buy it now.
    Lol[/QUOTE]

Not a bad idea to bring the amp up slowly if it has been sitting. You can use a variac to control the voltage to the amp. This will reform the dialectic layer between the plates of the electrolytic caps and reduce the likelihood of internal arcing and shorting within the cap. Pull the tubes beforehand, turn standby on and gradually increase the voltage over a period of 12 hours or so.

I have never had a problem with Illinois caps and wouldn't worry about them. If I remember correctly they did have a problem many years ago that had been corrected a long time ago. The rage right now is F&T caps.

8. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

OK I did more research.
    On the board it has 51 05.
    So, late December of 05.
    I wish I cared about this stuff as much as I used too
    I hope this amp lives up to the hype,otherwise guitar center owes me twenty bucks.

9. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

I slid the chassis back in the amp but haven't screwed it in yet.
    I turned it on and let it idle on standby for a half our.
    I took it off standby with all controls at 1 then turned each controll looking for scratchy pots. The only noisy pot was the volume on the normal channel which is typical sense that channel gets less used.

So far all seems good but one thing.
    The Diaz mod switch makes a huge pop when changing between settings even with all controls turned all the way down.
    I wonder if contact cleaner would help this?

10. tombm3

tombm3 Tele-Holic

I'm not sure what, if anything, is mentioned in the manual about when to switch. Personally I would only switch the setting switch when the amp was in standby or off. Solution, no popping.

buckwalder likes this.
  11. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

I just downloaded the manual and it states that the mod switch will pop...if it is bothersome use the standby.
    Just like you said.
    Thanks.
    Now,I can put it back together and try it out with an actual guitar.
    My wife is going to go see a movie with her son so, I can see what this amp can do.
    I hope I don't break any glass or make myself sterile.
    I get the feeling this is a very loud amp

Piggy Stu likes this.
  12. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I had one of the first 6 or so off the line. A wonderful amp! I only sold it because I can't gig any longer because of physical problems.

They were actually made for only a couple of years, just cataloged a bit longer. As far as an exact count you could contact Fender and they may be able to tell you, but I'm not sure it's very relevant to anything. You may also be able to get a copy of the documentation - but again, it's not critical.

If not send me a PM and I can at least fill you in on the operation of it. I think I have the schematic as well. It's not that complicated but there are a few important details. You need to know one right now - DON'T flip the back switches when it's on!

When in "stock" mode it essentially *is* a '64 Vibroverb. I had an original that came with an Altec; they loaded a few different speakers in it during the short run, including...as I recall...a CTS 15" that was close to the Eminence loaded in the "reissue".

The amp is one of the few true "reissues" Fender has made. The "SRV" switches are benign as long as you don't use them, and the only other changes are things like the removable power cord - required for export sales and the 1/4" reverb/vibrato footswitch jack.

I have no idea what the medallion is - mine had a plain Fender Reverb/Vibrato footswitch.

13. tombm3

tombm3 Tele-Holic

I remember when I first got my '64 Vibroverb. At the time I thought my DRRI and my Allen Sweet Spot sounded great. (and they did / still do) But when you play the Vibroverb right after playing one of the other amps it was like there was a fullness or bloom to the sound that was clearly missing with the other amps. Hope you enjoy your amp for a long time, buckwalder.

buckwalder likes this.
  14. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Where are the posts requesting pictures?

Was it not the philosopher Rene Descartes who said 'pictures, or it didn't happen'?

King Fan, dannyh and Axis29 like this.
  15. tombm3

tombm3 Tele-Holic

Per your request: V-18 is the Allen Sweet Spot

IMG_1327.JPG v18-3.JPG 20170416_124658.jpg

Piggy Stu likes this.
  16. tombm3

tombm3 Tele-Holic

How do we know it's a hand wired amp? Pictures or the Vibroverb must be pcb. Ok ok, here you go.

IMG_1331.JPG

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    ac15, Piggy Stu and buckwalder like this.
  17. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

Thanks,
    Im,just waiting to have the time to reassemble it and play it.

18. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Here ya' go.

I posted the chassis pics because it's a very early one and different from most of the production - primarily in the use of Mallory caps.

1964 Vibroverb & Nashville West.jpg
    FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    IMG_3714.JPG Chassis pic - left.jpg
    Chassis pic - right.jpg

Attached Files:

19. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

I wonder if those caps make any difference in the sound of the amp. They look a lot nicer than what I have in mine.

20. tombm3

tombm3 Tele-Holic

I was wondering the same thing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.