1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Custom Shop Fender Pro Junior

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by spayne99, Apr 12, 2010.

1. spayne99

spayne99 Tele-Holic

I might be picking up a Custom Shop Fender Pro Junior, tweed, relic. From what I can tell these were only made available with Custom Shop guitars as a package buy. Does anyone know anything about these amps and how much I should be willing to pay for one? Any major difference between this and a standard Pro Junior (other than the tweed and relic'ing)?

2. tomfarnan

tomfarnan Tele-Meister

I saw one for sale by itself in Australia - it was A$1600 - about twice the price of the standard model. I'm guessing that the CS version is handwired vs a printed circuit board amp so it should sound juicier. The one I played was very noisy - much noisier than the standard, but I suspect this may be due to servicing type issues rather than the amp itself. The CS versions look much better, that's for sure.

3. Billm

Billm RIP

Don't guess. The high price does not mean hand-wired. The Custom Shop Pro Junior, like the Woody Blues Junior, uses a stock chassis installed in a fancy cabinet.

Pro Juniors are very prone to noise. They're fussy about tubes, tend to have plate resistor noise, hiss, and filament-induced cathode hum. If you get a quiet one, you're lucky.

DrPepper and secretsoundz like this.
  4. spayne99

spayne99 Tele-Holic

I'm getting mine for $230, so feel like it's a good enough deal. Hopefully UPS delivers it today. Can't wait to check it out!

5. Billm

Billm RIP

That's an excellent price. If it's a relic model, plan on removing the back and case screws, cleaning the rust off the threads and lubricating them so they don't seize up.

6. spayne99

spayne99 Tele-Holic

Good to know I got a good price. It is a relic, and it's not easy finding info about these online (I guess because they were only sold as part of a Custom Shop guitar/amp package)?

Anybody know what speaker I should be expecting to see in this amp, and what kind of tubes - assuming they're the original spec'd parts?

7. Billm

Billm RIP

Stock tubes are Fender/Groove Tubes Sovteks.

Speaker is probably Fender Special Design, could possibly be an Eminence Blue Alnico (great speaker).

8. spayne99

spayne99 Tele-Holic

The amp arrived today from Guitar Center. I'm beginning to feel like I did pretty good on this deal - $230! This Pro Junior is tweed, relic'd, has the "Limited Edition" badge on the back, the Fender 60th Anniversary badge, the cab is unpainted pine, and a Jensen P10r speaker. I would take pics, but found this Flickr page with the same exact amp... http://www.flickr.com/photos/pacoblues/sets/72157614874445952/

The only downside so far is that this amp is very buzzy. Tubes are the stock Groove Tubes. I don't mind a little noise but it would be nice to quiet it down some!

9. spayne99

spayne99 Tele-Holic

One thing I forgot to mention... this is odd but there's a Hot Rod DeVille sticker in the cab, not a Pro Junior sticker. The DeVille uses 6L6's but this amp is clearly a Pro Junior with EL84's.

10. Billm

Billm RIP

Here are some of my Pro Junior quieting mods. Don't recall if I've posted them before.

http://home.comcast.net/bjr/pjmods.htm

And don't forget to see if you can remove the back and case screws. It's a bear when they get rusted in place.

11. ramonherver

ramonherver TDPRI Member

Do you have the mods file? i didn't find nothing around the web about modding a pro jr :(

12. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Unfortunately, Bill M died a few years ago. There are probably copies of his mods on the internet, search for Bill Machrone guitar amplifier modifications.

Here is a good one on the Pro Junior from another source, but you will need to join the site to see the photos.
    https://www.instructables.com/Mod-your-Fender-Pro-Jr/

DrPepper likes this.
  13. ramonherver

ramonherver TDPRI Member

Thanks!! =) i already found some mods but nothing about BillM. :( my next step is to learn how to bias this little monster. :) :)

14. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

I was lucky enough to have owned two decent sounding black tolex Pro Jrs, I got mine used--$265 for the firsr and $280 for the second, so I think you got a great deal. The only reason I no longer have either one was that I needed a certain amount of clean volume and couldn't quite hit it with either one. I did run a 12AY7 in V1 but what that did was br5oaden the clean range without increasing the point of break-up. Probably I could have increased the volume with a high efficiency 10" replacement speaker.

I think that they are a cool, underappreciated Fender amp.​

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.