Custom shop build pickup combo

GO24JUNIOR

NEW MEMBER!
Hey everyone,

New member and first post here. Also, this will be my first tele. Specing out a really cool 52’ tele with my dealer. Solid maple neck, baseball bat U neck shape, midnight purple sparkle over butterscotch blonde heavy relic and aged finish, black guard, and the pickup combo I’m looking at is HW Josephina Crushed Blackguard bridge and HW Josephina Twisted Tele neck. I would love to hear thoughts on the pickup combo. The crushed blackguard bridge is around 10.6K and the twisted tele is like 5.6K or something. I know that doesn’t necessarily equate to how loud a pickup is but do you all think there is too much disparity between the outputs on these. I will note that a twisted tele set has a similar output difference between neck and bridge pickups. I definitely wanna get those straty tones from the neck and then with the bridge just giving me a dirty blues monster. I think it will be a cool combo. Thanks in advance for any and all input. Excited to hear your thoughts.

Telenator

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
The neck pickup is going to sound like a Strat.

If I were having this built, I would have it loaded with American Standard pickups and play it for a while. Then I would decide what I liked and disliked about the guitar sound and have it loaded with something that is going to really work.
Choosing a very specific pickup set right out of the the gate for a Custom Shop guitar is seldom a good idea. You don't know what the guitar is going to sound like or how it may best benefit from a specific pickup set until you play it for a while. I know that's what everyone wants, but it seldom ever works that way.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
The neck pickup is going to sound like a Strat.

If I were having this built, I would have it loaded with American Standard pickups and play it for a while. Then I would decide what I liked and disliked about the guitar sound and have it loaded with something that is going to really work.
Choosing a very specific pickup set right out of the the gate for a Custom Shop guitar is seldom a good idea. You don't know what the guitar is going to sound like or how it may best benefit from a specific pickup set until you play it for a while. I know that's what everyone wants, but it seldom ever works that way.

Very good point. Good advice!

Minivan Megafun

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Hey everyone,

New member and first post here. Also, this will be my first tele. Specing out a really cool 52’ tele with my dealer. Solid maple neck, baseball bat U neck shape, midnight purple sparkle over butterscotch blonde heavy relic and aged finish, black guard, and the pickup combo I’m looking at is HW Josephina Crushed Blackguard bridge and HW Josephina Twisted Tele neck. I would love to hear thoughts on the pickup combo. The crushed blackguard bridge is around 10.6K and the twisted tele is like 5.6K or something. I know that doesn’t necessarily equate to how loud a pickup is but do you all think there is too much disparity between the outputs on these. I will note that a twisted tele set has a similar output difference between neck and bridge pickups. I definitely wanna get those straty tones from the neck and then with the bridge just giving me a dirty blues monster. I think it will be a cool combo. Thanks in advance for any and all input. Excited to hear your thoughts.

I think that's a great combo. I've got the crushed blackguard in my '51 HS Tele and it's over 10K. It keeps up with the humbucker I've got in the neck no problem. I say go for it!

I don't really understand Telenator's advice on this one. You're ordering a CS build and you should put pickups in it that are a dime a dozen and haven't even been in production in 10 years? You can always change the pickups later, sure. However you cannot purchase CS exclusive pickups like the Crushed Blackguard aftermarket.