Custom shop 52

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by golfnut, Nov 13, 2019.

1. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I've been looking for one of these and I came across this one thats about an hour from me. Just to preface I hope I don't hear any moronic statements like "I don't understand relics", blah blah. I get it some don't like it. So move on.
    I like relic guitars but I'm not sure I like this particular custom shop relic job. I've seen a lot of Fenders relic teles and this one doesn't look like any I've seen. The arm wear actually reminds me of the Brad Paisley Silver guitar. And I don't like the way that was done. Am I off on this opinion or does anyone think its realistic.
    Again not a question for relic haters.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-guitar/st-c...shop-telecaster-52-relic/1470372419?undefined

2. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I do like relics but those lines look a bit too defined.
    Someone here recently pointed out the fact that the real back of the neck wear is usually just within the space of a few frets, yet the CS puts equal rear neck wear from the nut to the heel.
    I do like relics but I'm not a fan of that one either.

gwjensen and golfnut like this.
  3. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I'm not concerned about the back of the neck wear. Even though it may not be representative of actual wear, I like that its worn down all the way. I find it comfortable for playing all over the neck. Like a speed neck. I'd love to get that done to my 2 Martin authentics just for playability.
    On this particular 52 I'm more concerned with the looks of the relic job on the body. Not sure if I like it enough to make an offer on this guitar.

4. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

That was what I meant about the the relic lines looking too defined, on the body i mean. Kinda paint by numbers almost.

gwjensen and golfnut like this.
  5. Kontaktmoi

Kontaktmoi Tele-Meister

RodeoTex, this is quite expensive. Fender makes those heavy relics but here is what you MUST do. Ask him (the seller) for the serial number and ask the seller to email you a picture of the COA ( it shows the year of producton ) . Then, call Fenderconsumer in Arizona and ask them to send you the SHOP FLOOR TRAVELER. That is a document that Fender produces and accompanies the guitar when it is built. That will tell you if the guitar is GENUINE... perhaps the seller has that document, ask him first. The TAG shows you the TRAVELER NUMBER, THE SERIAL NUMBER and the NECK # too, it has signatures and stamps on it.... so it is a valuable document, get a picture of that too.
    The TRAVELER It shows the build, what neck, what relicing ahs been done by Fender, also which pickups are loaded etc.You want to make sure it is the Heavy Relic version done by the factory and very important , make sure it has the NOCASTER set of pickups ( probably hand wound ) loaded.
    Do yourself a favor and do it .

One more note: I have a Heavy Relic '52 but it has a different relicing pattern on the front... less forearm wear for sure but that does not mean anything. Make sure it's factory done... that make a huge difference in $$ Good Luck.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    tery and golfnut like this.
  6. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I agree. Good description.

7. KWal

KWal Tele-Meister

At the end of the day, the real question is, how does it play, sound, and feel TO YOU. Relic or not, if it speaks to you when you play it, then it'd be a keeper.

I'm a proud Custom Shop owner. Most of that pride is from the fact that I paid less new for a Custom Shop than comparable non-Custom Shop models are available for today. (I've owned the guitar forever) It just spoke to me the first time I played it. I have player friends that tried it and were of the "WTF were you thinking?" mindset. It's just an extension of my arm and fingers.

No one knows but you. Give it a try.

8. G-52

G-52 Tele-Meister

9AC78E32-31F6-4AD6-81EA-0F127FA3744E.jpeg You might check out Humbucker Music online just for some comparisons (I have no affiliation); they have about a dozen CS 52’s in inventory in various degrees of aging. I’d agree the arm wear on that guitar could have been blended better; it’s all about personal taste. I have a blue sparkle that has similar arm wear pattern; but everything else I love about it. $3800 seems high on the used market, maybe fair in Cdn $. I gave under $3k for the blue sparkle. I always ask for the weight up front, because I like the light ones:)

golfnut likes this.
  9. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

Relics aren't my thing but I get the appeal. What I don't get is the extensive arm/body wear?!?
    What is Fender basing this on?? I've owned some vintage axes in my day with nitro finishes and have seen heaps more like many fine folks on this forum and have never seen this type of 'belt sander' wear for a lack of a better term.... boggles my mind.

Here's a nitro finished ASAT from the mid 80's that I used to own for comparison - this is quite typical 'arm' wear IMB... IMGP4485.JPG IMGP4484.JPG IMGP4480.JPG IMGP4483.JPG IMGP4481.JPG

tery and scelestus like this.
  10. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

I like some relics and not others. I had a 51 nocaster that I stupidly sold.

Curious what year that one is.

Ultimately I think your answer is in your own writing if you look.

You don't really like it. Wait for the one that you do love the way it looks. Unless of course you're one of those people that really doesn't care what a guitar looks like.

EsquireBoy, AlbertaGriff and golfnut like this.
  11. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

I can forgive appearance to a point. Theres a balance of how good it feels, how good it sounds and how good it looks. Looks will be last consideration. If feel and tone are amazing that can reduce the impact looks will have on my decision.
    I do have a couple of questions I usually ask about the guitar which are very important to me.
    Usually first is what profile is the neck and depth at the 1st and 12th.
    The seller did answer me on that. U profile, which is good. He said that it wasn't as prominent as other U's, which I guess I'll assume not as big a shoulders as a Nocaster. Then the deal killer. .880 at the 1st going to .990 at the 12th. For me thats too small for the first half of the neck for a 50's style tele. So based on that and the looks I'll consider it no further.

12. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Thanks for this post. I'll have to copy this in to word and save it for future reference.

13. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Neck profile and dimensions are most important but yeah, usually weight is my second question.
    I have an American original that I'll keep because it sounds good has a big chunky neck and is only 6 1/2 pounds, which is the lightest Tele I've ever owned. Out of the several Nocasters and 1 Masterbuilt none of them were close to that light. I'm good with up to about 7.8 pounds. At my age I try to avoid anything heavier. Most custom shops are at least lighter than that.
    One of these days I'll find the right Custom shop 52. Its nice not to be in a hurry.
    In my opinion $3,800 CA is a bit high but common starting point here for a Custom shop relic. If it had met all my requirements I might have tried to snag it for $3,500

14. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Tele-Meister

Gee, I take a lot of care to NOT relic my guitars.

dan1952 and tery like this.
  15. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

That ASAT is an awesome guitar. Sorry for hijacking - back to your regularly scheduled programming.

2 Headed Goat and golfnut like this.
  16. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

I could live with it :)

17. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I'm not into relic guitars, but if I were, I wouldn't settle for a relic that I didn't like looking at, even if the guitar sounded great.

18. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

That CS Relic doesn't look like any natural wear I've ever seen, and I've been buying and selling guitars for nearly 50 years. The G&L is MUCH better!

2 Headed Goat and golfnut like this.
  19. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Then I guess this thread is not for you. You guys just can't help your self. Either you didn't read the OP or you have no reading comprehension.

Mad Kiwi likes this.
  20. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Holic

+1 on the feeling you do not really bond with it in picture. So I guess you should pass on this one too!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.