Custom Shop '51 Nocaster vs Original Vintage Pickups.

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Digiplay, Oct 27, 2019.

Custom Shop '51 Nocaster or Original Vintage Pickups.

Poll closed Nov 1, 2019.
  1. Custom Shop '51 Nocaster.

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Original Vintage.

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

I want to swap out the Tex-Mex pickups in my Road Worn 50's Ash Telecaster.

Which, and why, of the two aforementioned pickups do you prefer?

If it's not a goofy question, which one is "closest" to the way the Telecaster sounded in the early 50's ? :)

2. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

Haven't tried the ov, but did lots of research online. Went with nocasters and no regrets. Nice and bright Tele sound, but with balls. I roll the tone down about half way when using dirt. Sounds great, smooth. Lots of compliments. Mine is mim and a guy with an American seemed a bit jealous when he tried it.

3. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

Hi Axegrinder77!

Not that it should matter (and to me it doesn't), but the price of the OV's has been lowered to $83.99.

savofenno likes this.
  4. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire

OV's might be a little closer in true 50's tone. They are a good choice.

But, I believe the CS set is RWRP. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

That was the only reason I chose the CS.

vintage clubber and tele12 like this.
  5. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

If you can swap them yourself, then maybe it's worth trying those first then.

I think I've tried your guitar. Kinda thin neck, right? I really liked it. It also depends on the sound you're after. For me, if I were to swap out nocasters (I won't), if I'd definitely consider the twisted Tele / broadcaster combo. I love the sound of the Brad Paisley Tele. Just don't love the look.

DanDII likes this.
  6. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

So much variation in early production creates a moving target ....Your guess is as good as any .... Fender is guessing too ...

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    Kreepy and Art VanDelay like this.
  7. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

I agree 100% about the look of the Paisley guitar.

I even called Fender and told them if they would back of on the amount of wear where the forearm rests (like the newer Road Worn 50's look), I'd buy one, because IMHO, that Silver Sparkle sure looks good :)

LPTyler likes this.
  8. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

Most searches show that the Nocaster's are RWRP, and the OV's are not.

nocastermike likes this.
  9. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

I voted OV because I always loved their sound in my various 52 Tele reissues that sound amazing.They deliver a great authentic Tele sound.When I was buying one of my 52 reissues and I had the unique opportunity to A/B it vs a real 1953 Telecaster they had in the store and both guitars sounded remarkably similar.I did own a set a Nocaster pickups as well which I installed in a Roadworn Tele and they sounded lovely as well...perhaps a bit brighter and transparent than the OVs from what I recall.I think the OVs might be slightly denser and ballsier.But as far as authenticity goes things were all over the place in those early days where they were experimenting with specs.The early Broadcaster pickups are known to be very hot and overwound compared to the later 1950s Tele pickups which were wound with less winds for more clarity.

10. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

Hi Sonny Wolf!

Does that mean that the OV's were a little darker and less clear (if that's what you mean by transparent)?

Regardless, which set did you like better, and why?

11. Digiplay

Digiplay Tele-Meister

There have been 4 replies, but 8 members have voted.

I hate to ask this question, but how is that possible? :)

12. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

What @rangercaster says. There is no early 50s sound. There is no 50s sound. It was all over the map, tonally. The OV and Nocaster pickups are just lines in the sand where Fender said this is what ideal tones should be. Fender gave the pickups names.

Edit: I’m not voting. That doesn’t help you at all, other than knowing what WE like, subjectively. You should try both and keep the ones you like.

13. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I voted OV but I've had both and the Nocaster with Twisted Tele neck are a rawkous 'rock' set and noise cancel in mid posi is great. Middier and dirtier. More like a Broadcaster.

The OV/PV sets of any iteration are nice milder pickups still with attitude and probably closer to a real 52. They have pretty much the sound of an early Tele and play lovely clean and respond well to a bit of dirt. A Pareto chart of output and response would show CS and OVs very much in the same ballpark.

14. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Yes but the OVs are not muddy at all...very clear and detailed with a definite Telecaster voice.The EQ of the OVs seemed a bit punchier in the mids to me.But this was 10 years ago so I am going with what I recall feeling at the time.Overall both pickups sounded like a classic Blackguard Tele...they weren't drastically different.I just recall thinking the Nocasters were a tad bit less punchy in the mids compared to the OVs I was used to.But then again factor in the Roadworn guitar I had and maybe it's acoustic voice had an influence on the final tone.I think either pickup set would be a fine choice.

15. nocastermike

nocastermike Tele-Meister

I have had both and prefer nocasters. I find them to be versatile and the middle position is really amazing. They push the amp a bit more.

16. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Twisted/Broadcaster, Nocasters, and '67s in my CS Smuggler all sound great.

Different flavors but it's like picking a favorite child. Kind of hard to do with a clear conscious.

If you can, try them both and see what you like best. Impossible to say what you'd like best here.

You certainly can't go wrong with either set. I've had Texas Specials in a few guitars and replaced them every time. They are not to my liking.

That said, I wouldn't pull any of my above mentioned pups out of the Teles they are currently in.

17. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

I voted Original Vintage for you - but I would go with the 51 Nocaster for me .

18. Stu Cazz

Stu Cazz TDPRI Member

I voted for nocasters because that is what I chose to put into my MIM Standard. I love them for their versatility, sweet and smooth on cleans but roar like a hungry rex with distortion and fuzz's
    Very well balanced pu's.
    Set them to your desired height and they'll do anything you want, it only depends on your playing technique and amp/pedal settings.

19. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Meister

I voted for the OV. I have a set on my HW1. They are a bargain as well. For the money they are a steal. Tone is clear and they are powerful enough to rock out when you need to.

20. vintage clubber

vintage clubber Friend of Leo's

This!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.