Custom Printed Circuit Board?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by youdevil, Oct 21, 2019.

1. youdevil

youdevil TDPRI Member

Do you know of anyone who can design and produce (in low quantity) a custom printed circuit board? I've got a bunch of components to connect up inside a control cavity and it would be MUCH easier to do if i had such a thing.

If you have alternative suggestions - a micro 'patch bay'? - I'm all ears :)

Thanks -

Chris

2. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Holic

There are scads of outfits like Advanced Circuits and Pad2Pad that will take an order online, fab the boards and send them to you.

The expense in doing a custom board is in the setup, so see how the quantity breaks work for you. It might be that ordering a dozen ends up costing the same as doing one.

Depending on the guitar and your application, Tone Shapers has a bunch of pre-made kits with DIP switches that will let you set pot resistance, tone control capacitance and a few other things. I have on in my '73 and like it.

3. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

Or you could do it yourself the way that many people learnt small-circuit PCB making - with a piece of prototyping veroboard (cut to the size needed with a sharp blade) and a track cutter. You just plan the best layout and then mount your components (including any track-linking wires needed), cut a break in any tracks to separate any components that need separating on the same track, and then solder. If it works, you're good to go. Or you trouble-shoot it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You could breadboard the layout first if you want ...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  4. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I did a couple of fairly simple boards myself using the copper PC blank boards and etching fluid.

5. youdevil

youdevil TDPRI Member

thank you all for these! very helpful.

6. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone TDPRI Member

I successfully built an RF preamp on a perf board (no copper on either side) by just sticking the components through and twisting the leads together on the back. I was just lucky I guess, as RF is very demanding. But I don't doubt it would work in a guitar.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.