Custom Guitar Wiring Help and Ideas

radtz

Tele-Holic
I'm doing a refresh on my Warmoth Rhodes V style axe. I installed and set-up a new bridge and it plays fantastic.....until I plugged it in. The wiring needs a refresh. I've got a SD single coil (I forgot which one) at the neck and SD Invader HB at the bridge. The point of this guitar was for metal but with ability to switch to the neck for a sweet clean sound. The wiring is all jacked up (sound is bleeding through with volume off, highs cut out). I think the toggle and output are wired OK but I may as well just start over and rewire it.

What we have to work with:
1 4 wire Invader humbucker (passive) - bridge
1 2 wire single coil - neck
1 push/pull 500 K pot for volume (new)
1 mini 3 way toggle (or I can replace it with a Gibson style full size 3 way)
Output jack
No tone pot
(I could replace the neck pickup with a Chinese hotrails I have for 2 HBs)

I don't want a tone pot and I want as much high end and output as I can get out of the Invader, and I don't much care about the neck pickup. The toggle is for pick-up selection (bridge/both/neck). I'm sure I wired the push/pull to do a coil split on the HB, but I don't need that anymore. That said, the push/pull should be wired to do something. I could add a tone pot (for the single coil) but I'd rather not. The point is to use the bridge pickup full on 95% of time. I have no issues rewiring the toggle either.

I'm looking for both suggestions on the best way to wire this, as well a schematic so I can wire it right. Maybe something creative I haven't thought of???

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
The Invader is a really hot pickup with a pronounced midrange. You won't get much twang out of it. But if that were my project, I'd wire it up to split the bridge humbucker coils using the push/pull. That way you can get a sweeter bridge tone when you need it.

Omit the tone pot from this diagram. Use an A500K pot for volume. IMPORTANT: the black wire on Duncan 4-wire humbuckers is the hot wire; join the red and white wires and connect them to the push-pull. Green and plain are the grounds.

Tele_1H_1S_3B_1VppSPL_1T.jpg

Last edited:

radtz

Tele-Holic
The Invader is a really hot pickup with a pronounced midrange. You won't get much twang out of it. But if that were my project, I'd wire it up to split the bridge humbucker coils using the push/pull. That way you can get a sweeter bridge tone when you need it.

Omit the tone pot from this diagram. Use an A500K pot for volume. IMPORTANT: the black wire on Duncan 4-wire humbuckers is the hot wire; join the red and white wires and connect them to the push-pull. Green and plain are the grounds.

Tele_1H_1S_3B_1VppSPL_1T.jpg
Thanks Peegoo. That is the schematic I need to wire what I have correctly. I can diagnose what's wrong.

radtz

Tele-Holic
I'm doing a refresh on my Warmoth Rhodes V style axe. I installed and set-up a new bridge and it plays fantastic.....until I plugged it in. The wiring needs a refresh. I've got a SD single coil (I forgot which one) at the neck and SD Invader HB at the bridge. The point of this guitar was for metal but with ability to switch to the neck for a sweet clean sound. The wiring is all jacked up (sound is bleeding through with volume off, highs cut out). I think the toggle and output are wired OK but I may as well just start over and rewire it.

What we have to work with:
1 4 wire Invader humbucker (passive) - bridge
1 2 wire single coil - neck
1 push/pull 500 K pot for volume (new)
1 mini 3 way toggle (or I can replace it with a Gibson style full size 3 way)
Output jack
No tone pot
(I could replace the neck pickup with a Chinese hotrails I have for 2 HBs)

I don't want a tone pot and I want as much high end and output as I can get out of the Invader, and I don't much care about the neck pickup. The toggle is for pick-up selection (bridge/both/neck). I'm sure I wired the push/pull to do a coil split on the HB, but I don't need that anymore. That said, the push/pull should be wired to do something. I could add a tone pot (for the single coil) but I'd rather not. The point is to use the bridge pickup full on 95% of time. I have no issues rewiring the toggle either.

I'm looking for both suggestions on the best way to wire this, as well a schematic so I can wire it right. Maybe something creative I haven't thought of???
I forgot the picture:
20220422_093611.jpg

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Thanks Peegoo. That is the schematic I need to wire what I have correctly. I can diagnose what's wrong.

Here's how a Switchcraft switch goes into a Tele-style guitar (two pickups). You can use the bottom part of the diagram to wire up your guitar.

NOTE: one side of the switch has four solder tabs. Pinch the two center tabs together and solder a single wire to that; it runs to tab #3 on the volume pot.

radtz-LP-Switch.jpg

radtz

Tele-Holic
OMG... I may have to turn in my solderer's licenese. I rewired it and the 3 way switch is perfect and there doesn't appear to be any shorts ore grounding issues. The push/pull is splitting the humbucker like it should.

HOWEVER.... the volume pot is acting as a tone pot and not volume pot, as in its full volume all of the time. Turning down the volume turns down the highs.

I was hoping PEEGOO (or some other kind soul) could tell me what I did wrong without me having to start over again.

Option 2 is to wire in a kill switch lol......

Possible Problem:
I ran the single end of the blade switch straight to the output jack ground/sleeve. Was that supposed to go to the volume pot ground, and the volume pot ground go to the out put jack ground?

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
I ran the single end of the blade switch straight to the output jack ground/sleeve. Was that supposed to go to the volume pot ground, and the volume pot ground go to the out put jack ground?

Yes!

And run a wire from that solder joint on the back of the vol pot to the output jack's sleeve terminal.

Make sure you have tab 1 on the vol pot grounded to its case.

The back of a pot is like the back of your hand:

Pot-Tab-Numbering-Back-of-Hand.jpg

radtz

Tele-Holic
Yes!

And run a wire from that solder joint on the back of the vol pot to the output jack's sleeve terminal.

Make sure you have tab 1 on the vol pot grounded to its case.

The back of a pot is like the back of your hand:

Pot-Tab-Numbering-Back-of-Hand.jpg
Thanks Peegoo. I hope to prove myself worthy of you tutelage. :)