1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Custom Guitar Case Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by whodatpat, Sep 25, 2020.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Would the "pegboard" Masonite be much lighter in weight? If it's covered on the outside with Tolex, and on the inside with padding stuff, the holes wouldn't be of consequence, if it helps with overall weight. Just a thought. ;)

2. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The holes will likely "telegraph" through the Tolex/equivalent after it's glued on, especially with changes in temperature.

----
    3/16" masonite is reasonably lightweight as is so-called quarter inch luan plywood which isn't uncommon for some kinds of road cases.

Mr_Q, crazydave911 and nojazzhere like this.
  3. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have found these quite useful in making boxes 20200927_115535.jpg

whodatpat likes this.
  4. carpenter

Through and half blind blind dovetails porter cable comes with mini jig.
    They run about 180.00. the deluxe model has 3 different jigs, bits and collars
    You need a porter cable router too others will adapt but parts are needed.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    crazydave911 likes this.
  5. whodatpat

whodatpat Friend of Leo's

I wish I had a dovetail jig. I do have a PC router. Maybe for Christmas. :)

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. whodatpat

3/16 plywood is lighter than3/16 Masonite. Denser wood is always heavier. Going 1/8” vs. 1/4” is not a fare comparison.

7. carpenter

try you tube hand cut dovetails. Practice on scraps of wood. Might even be fun.

Wallaby likes this.
  8. whodatpat

Trying this would make me cus a lot. Paul Sellers makes it look easy. He is an absolute master. He is supposed to make it look easy. I would make a very “home-made” looking case if I tried to hand cut dovetails. I am hoping for something a bit more polished looking.

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

I think a "case" :) could be made for using Kydex as a guitar case material.

I've made a few knife sheaths from it and it's very tough and light-weight.

It makes a great pistol holster, too.

The only unusual thing about working with it is you need to use heat to form it.

10. whodatpat

If I could handle $50 each for 24x48 sheets of Kydex I could consider the bigger problem. Where would I find an oven big enough to melt it around a form? I am going to use it to make sheaths for some neck knifes I am making. Because, yes I needed another hobby....

crazydave911 likes this.
  11. LuckyJinx

LuckyJinx Tele-Meister

I have. I came across it as I was trying to figure out how to glue the skin on mine.
    It left me thinking "well damn, wish I'd seen that before".

crazydave911 likes this.
  12. LuckyJinx

LuckyJinx Tele-Meister

Rob Cosman claims to have this foolproof method to get everyone cutting dovetails:

I haven't tried it, I think the saw kerf offset thing is pretty interesting.

crazydave911 likes this.
  13. whodatpat

I cut the box in half on the table saw. I did not quite think through the fact that the low ceiling in my basement will not let me turn it on end to get the left and right sides. So, I cut the long sides on the table saw and the short sides with a jigsaw and planed them down flush with the front and back. I do love using a sharp plane.

Lid.jpg

I was wondering how I cold cut the foam without making a huge mess of styrofoam snow all over the basement and found another gem of a YouTube wormhole. Turns out making a “hotwire” is not as difficult or scary as I would have thought. I basically made the one from this video.

I don’t just have nichrome wire laying around and my wife would not be happy with me harvesting some from her hair dryer or the toaster. Being impatient I figured guitar string has nickel in it so maybe it will work. I found the E string overheated and broke too easily, but 6 volts at 1 amp through about 8” of B string seems to be about perfect. My old Motorcycle trickle charger has come in handy many times even though it’s been 14 years since I have had a bike.

Foam1.jpg
    Foam3.jpg

I could get better at cutting clean lines, but I did mention my issue with patience. I will use a rasp and sandpaper to even out the edges. But overall, I am happy with the progress. Now I have to figure out how to put a 3 Degree angle on the foam to line the bottom of the cutout. Maybe the belt sander, but I was hoping to avoid snow all over my basement.

Foam4.jpg

Attached Files:

14. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

OK, that is interesting/helpful/new information - thanks for experimenting! Very clever idea.

crazydave911 likes this.
  15. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Holic

Like how you cut the foam. when I built my hard case (YES a Firebird/ Tele neck doesn't fit standard cases), doing the foam was such a mission.

If I can prevent it, I won't do another case. Too much effort.

AGAIN, check weight, not easy to get a big case made from wood to be light enough. I used 6mm thick MDF, plywood tops.

I'm happy with mine, it's much more sturdy than a normal case, giving more protection at a bit of extra weight.
    IMG_20191031_162932.jpeg IMG_20191030_121932.jpeg IMG_20190901_071559.jpeg IMG_20190829_165514.jpeg

crazydave911, Jim_in_PA and whodatpat like this.
  16. whodatpat

That case is sweet! I hope this one turns out as nice. And I agree, I hope this is the last case I ever make.

Looks like I had the same thought with one big storage compartment. The cutaway for the headstock was “fun”.

A43485FF-BA0C-4806-815B-E4140F6ABBCA.jpeg

17. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Holic

And another thing, if I could get TOLEX in South Africa I would have covered the case with it rather than Vinyl.

I'm sure it's easy to source in the US

Much more durable, and authentic

crazydave911 likes this.
  18. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

Pssst.... is *IS* fun :)

crazydave911 likes this.
  19. whodatpat

137327DA-B7BC-497C-92B8-FDD74886654C.jpeg 5A48EFC3-1A7A-4BEA-AAF8-9BC9FFD5D724.jpeg The hardest part of applying the vinyl was laying out the origami corner folds. But a putty knife spreader and patience in working one flat surface at a time worked out well. 51630974-0451-4094-8F2A-73A35418E0B6.jpeg

crazydave911, Jim_in_PA and PaulNYC like this.
  20. whodatpat

Turns out I hate working with fake fur upholstery material. I will be picking glued fuzz off my hands for a week. I still have to do the storage and neck support. Overall I am pretty happy with the look.

F172730B-6C1E-4476-AA36-525869DE835A.jpeg
    C715ECCD-512B-4757-B440-1AC345E3A7EE.jpeg
    91ED8961-022A-47DB-875C-07F1D01D9BCA.jpeg

Jim_in_PA and crazydave911 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.