Custom faceplates

Jorgen83

Tele-Meister
Hey all, I want to make a BF Princeton Reverb-ish amp (mostly that, but with a lot of mods), but make my own branded faceplate if possible and not too prohibitively expensive.

So I'm looking for two things: a shop that can make the faceplate, and a template I can use to create the file for it. Anyone have any experience with this? EU-based preferred by the way.

Last edited:

Paul-T

Tele-Holic
I was turned on to Signomatic via this board. They do a couple of options: digitally printed aluminium sheets (my reverb) or engraved plastic (the micro). I simply design the panel using a graphic design package and send them the PDF.

There are more authentic options (ie proper screenprinted), and plastic (the cheaper option) is limited in size. The metal option will print at, say, 450mm wide, so Princeton Reverb size. It is not as crisp as screenprinting as there's a UV laminate over the printed section but the price is pretty good, around €30, with a turnaround of maybe 10 days.

Attachments

• Deluxe micro complete.jpg
    Deluxe micro complete.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 72
  • surfyback.jpg
    surfyback.jpg
    274.4 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:

Jorgen83

Tele-Meister
Awesome! Is there a template with proper hole spacing I can use somewhere for a Princeton Reverb?

bobbyk

TDPRI Member
Following this thread with much interest. I have been trying to find someone who can make me two silk-screened Princeton Reverb faceplates but with brown-face graphics for some time now. The tough part is that I only need two, not 100 of them, and pricing is based on larger quantities.

sds1

Friend of Leo's
Following this thread with much interest. I have been trying to find someone who can make me two silk-screened Princeton Reverb faceplates but with brown-face graphics for some time now. The tough part is that I only need two, not 100 of them, and pricing is based on larger quantities.
From my extensive (but not exhaustive) shopping for faceplates experience, your affordable one-off options are limited to laser engraved products. I've seen folks using print-to-adhesive solutions as well.

Anything that requires tooling (silkscreen, metalphoto, etc.) is going to be expensive in low quantities due to the setup costs.

2L man

Tele-Afflicted
For Europeans Tube Town custom faceplate up to 720mm length for 30 euros is best place I know. They say they do not make copyright faceplates but I don't know what it exactly means? I just bought ODS faceplate and there does not read Dumble but othervise it look ODS.

Wyatt

Tele-Afflicted
Awesome! Is there a template with proper hole spacing I can use somewhere for a Princeton Reverb?

You have to be careful. Hole spacing is not uniform across all the different "repro" chassis available. You need to make precise measurements and set your artwork to that. Many of the faceplate fabricators also offer artwork services based on measurement you send them.

Wyatt

Tele-Afflicted
They say they do not make copyright faceplates but I don't know what it exactly means?

It usually means they won't include trademarks like the "Fender", "Marshall", "Vibrolux Reverb" etc. in the artwork but they'll do similar looking ones with custom names.

Last edited:

Jorgen83

Tele-Meister
You have to be careful. Hole spacing is not uniform across all the different "repro" chassis available. You need to make precise measurements and set your artwork to that. Many of the faceplate fabricators also offer artwork services based on measurement you send them.

I'm actually thinking right now to add some holes for pots at the front for mods. Mid control. Master volume. Or dwell, although I think the consensus is that doesn't work on a Princeton Reverb reverb.

Oh and Modulus Amps also makes custom faceplates.

Here's a quick mockup I made (still with dwell however):
PrincetonFaceplate.png

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Hey all, I want to make a BF Princeton Reverb-ish amp (mostly that, but with a lot of mods), but make my own branded faceplate if possible and not too prohibitively expensive.

So I'm looking for two things: a shop that can make the faceplate, and a template I can use to create the file for it. Anyone have any experience with this? EU-based preferred by the way.

Still in need?
I've had some done, let's see.... Simplify Sandi is one, I think she has the standard PR hole layout.
[email protected]
This one fit a Weber PR chassis:

I had a nice one made like this also. I'll see if I can dig it up.. may have been Sandi also... Standard Princeton Rev chassis with added mid hole:

Jorgen83

Tele-Meister
I just ordered my Unicorn design from Tube Town. It was 25 euro, so if it doesn't work, not much harm done.

jellodog

TDPRI Member
@schmee Oh that extra mid hole faceplate for the Princeton Reverb chassis is very cool.

Just to confirm that I'm understanding this correctly:

Even though this effectively allows for an extra mid hole; is it the case that really there's an extra hole on the end for the intensity pot, so that you can move all the other pots along one hole, to make space for the mid pot?

That is to say - is all the hole spacing exactly the same as it is on a standard Princeton Rev, except for an extra hole on the right hand side?

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
@schmee Oh that extra mid hole faceplate for the Princeton Reverb chassis is very cool.

Just to confirm that I'm understanding this correctly:

Even though this effectively allows for an extra mid hole; is it the case that really there's an extra hole on the end for the intensity pot, so that you can move all the other pots along one hole, to make space for the mid pot?

That is to say - is all the hole spacing exactly the same as it is on a standard Princeton Rev, except for an extra hole on the right hand side?
Yes, same spacing ...just one added on the end. Frankly though, I never seem to adjust the mid pot! This has been the case when I have added it to other amps also. I might as well just select the right resistor and not have the pot!

jellodog

TDPRI Member
Yes, same spacing ...just one added on the end. Frankly though, I never seem to adjust the mid pot! This has been the case when I have added it to other amps also. I might as well just select the right resistor and not have the pot!
Thanks for your confirmation and thoughts.

Yes, I've had that same thought about the mid pot, i.e. "just select the right resistor". On the other hand, until I've lived with the amp for a bit and decided where I want my mids, then I don't know what the right resistor value is!

Of course, there's a good chance that I'll discover ultimately that Leo's original choice was correct haha. I usually tend to add just a touch of extra mids on BF amps when I have a pot available though.

I suppose I could always do the other common mod and stick a small mid pot on the back plate instead.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Thanks for your confirmation and thoughts.

Yes, I've had that same thought about the mid pot, i.e. "just select the right resistor". On the other hand, until I've lived with the amp for a bit and decided where I want my mids, then I don't know what the right resistor value is!

Of course, there's a good chance that I'll discover ultimately that Leo's original choice was correct haha. I usually tend to add just a touch of extra mids on BF amps when I have a pot available though.

I suppose I could always do the other common mod and stick a small mid pot on the back plate instead.
yeah, Leo got it about right it seems. On the bigger amps, I never use that Bright switch. I've thought about having it control 2 resistors for mids instead, or I think there is a slide switch that is 3 way instead of 2 way, you could have 3 choices.