1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Custom Esquire with pickup centered between neck & bridge?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DHart, Jul 7, 2019.

1. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I was thinking about what a Tele would sound like with the bridge pickup position being centered between the bridge and the neck - like the middle position pickup on a Strat (which I love) and no neck pickup. Just a single-pickup guitar, like an Esquire.

Does anyone know of any Teles that were created like this? It would seem that it would offer a great blend of the fuller range of the neck position, along with the brightness of the bridge position, with the punch of the Tele bridge pickup design... and might sound really good? o_O

Just thinkin', that's all.

2. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I can’t think of any ones made with just a center bridge pickup but, There’s a mim classic player custom shop designed telecaster (say that 3 times real fast) that was made with 3 bridge pickups the easiest way would be to get one of those and take the neck and bridge pickup out , or to route your own body
    I’m also interested if anyone has one or tried this

3. DHart

Certainly, a custom routed body would be needed, which is not a big deal to do (or have done) at all.

I'm just thinking that a Tele bridge pickup mounted centerfield would probably sound really good! Deep, full-range, rich, and bright, and sparkly! Combining the best of the neck and bridge positions in one big pickup.

4. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I have a test guitar w a swimming pool rout. I was listening w a friend as he moved the p-up while I picked or strummed. Right at the 8 th harmonic (1/2 way between the 24 the fret and the bridge) the sound became big, w a huge sound stage and a great best of both worlds harmonic content. Traditional Middle is at the second node of the 13 th harmonic which gives it it's squirrelly or "quacky" sound.
    The seventh harmonic is kind of bluesy to my ears.
    The sixth is sweet.

I d definitely do a mock up to see where to put it, since a 1/2 inch or even less makes a big difference.

rangercaster and DHart like this.
  5. DHart

Good idea... the swimming pool rout and moving the pickup! How do you know where the difference harmonics are? A measurement between the bridge and nut?

Otherwise, what you've described as the 8th harmonic (midpoint between the 24th fret and bridge) sounds like what I would be looking for - huge sound stage wot best of both worlds harmonic content. Not looking for a bluesy tone or quacky.

6. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Afflicted

Well one of us HAS to do it now.

Gibson and DHart like this.
  7. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Fun project

DHart likes this.
  8. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Innovation comes from experimentation... Edison

... Maybe said something similar ..

DHart likes this.
  9. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

After we found the sweet spot I plucked the various harmonics and it was centered on the eighth. I have a 1 p-up guitar and that's where the rout is. Generally I just try to give information about the OP because what I like might not be what they want. But I definitely do recommend that placement. It's got it all ,such that by picking nearer to the bridge gives a bridge p-up vibe, nearer the neck, a neck p-up vibe.

DHart likes this.
  10. DHart

Indeed, my friend, indeed! :lol:

11. DHart

That really does sound like it would be just what I was hoping for!

12. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Take one of the standards that already is routed for a middle pup, throw out the bridge pup and move the neck into middle position. I guess the hardest part is finding a bridge plate and guard without holes for pups in neck/bridge position.

13. Mirrorshades

Mirrorshades TDPRI Member

So, would that sweet spot be located at the theoretical 36th fret then?

Gibson likes this.
  14. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Yes

15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Remember that the 'sweet spot'/'harmonic' positioning is purely open strings. Once your fret something the magic positions move.

Best example of 'only a middle pickup' is many SRV tunes on that Strat middle pickup of his. So it's easy to test with any Strat. Borrow a Strat and drive it around on the middle pickup for a while and see if you like it long term or not, and then you can hog out some wood.

I have this Esquire-H that I split the coils to a 4-way switch and I can fake a neck pickup (with a little tone knob nudge), get twang on the 'bridge' single coil, #2 quack in parallel, or a hot humbucker LP.

[​IMG]

DanDII likes this.
  16. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

The first paragraph isn true, if it was, depending on the key, the various p-ups would change their flavor. Even in a key where the middle p-up is 1/4 of the way from the bridge, it doesn't t develope a neck type sound.
    The eighth harmonic position isn t like a Strat middle. That cocked wah vibe isn 't there, more like a thru the air unamplified balanced sound.

17. DHart

I know well what the middle position Strat pickups sound like, as I have four Strats and a Nashville Tele. And I LIKE that tone.

BUT, what I'm envisioning is a Telecaster BRIDGE pickup, positioned mid-way between the neck and the bridge. Tele bridge pickups are quite a bit different than Strat pickups or Tele neck pickups.

Unless I had a body custom routed for this set-up, I know that a custom bridge plate would be needed to cover the bridge pickup hole. Then I'd just need a rout in the middle of the body and a custom cut pick guard routed for the bridge pickup. Not a terribly difficult guitar to put together.

18. CHarg

CHarg TDPRI Member

How about cutting a standard tele bridge plate just in front of the saddles, creating a G.E. Smith-type short bridge, mounting the pickup to the front section of the bridge plate, and placing it halfway between the neck and the bridge saddles? That way you wouldn't lose the magnetic connection with the pickup and the bridge plate, which theoretically enlarges the magnetic field and is part of the traditional Tele sound. Use a cosmetic plate to cover the original pickup rout. A steel cover plate might expand the magnetic field even more, which may or may not be what you're looking for.

19. DHart

I agree, mounting the Tele bridge pickup to a metal plate very well might add just a bit more of the Tele bridge tone-goodness.

20. DHart

On a standard Tele, what distance (inches or mm) is the 8th harmonic from the nut? Or from the bridge? Is it difficult to play/hear?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.