1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Custom 'Deluxe' Build (Mahogany content) w/pics

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by FenderLover, Mar 10, 2013.

1. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I've commented before that I feel Classic amps are best left original, but they are only original once. In the case of a butchered basket case, it doesn't hurt to make something useful out of it.

The doner chassis here is from a Champ that had fallen on hard times. The new circuit is a custom turret board I designed with a Blackface preamp, AB763-ish output, fixed bias circuit, and diode rectifiers. 5Y3/6V6 became 6L6/6L6. The second 12AX7 was added for the LTPI. Allen PT25, Heyboer 40W OT; 25W measured output power. Next to the choke you can see a 10-turn pot for the bias adjustment. The pilot lamp runs from the 5V winding. A previous hole on the back panel was filled with the power switch. No standby.

The custom face plate was made by amplates.com. The Deluxe badge is from a 1941 Ford. The mahogany cabinet was purchased raw, so I had to build out the baffle, apply grill cloth, fix new hardware, and finish it with True Oil to match my Mahogany Tele (with Bare Knuckle P-90's). The extra cabinet depth and height compliment a 12" speaker and tube ventilation nicely. I also dry-fitted the chassis and speaker to determine the overall front-to-back balance before mounting the handle. (I hate it when you center the handle and the bottom of the cabinet hits your leg when you carry it!)

It rocks. It is slightly less bright than my '67 Deluxe Reverb, and not quite as dark as my '62 Deluxe. Nice mid range umph. The oversized OT and JBL speaker handle the low end beautifully. There's something to be said for a small, single channel amp with reasonable power that doesn't require a dolly to move it around.

Attached Files:

2. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Very nice.

3. andyfromdenver

andyfromdenver Friend of Leo's

Woah!!!

Beautiful :). Thanks for sharing.

4. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Congrats on a very, very nice build.

5. Jimmy Rocket

Jimmy Rocket Tele-Holic

Pretty work all the way around!

6. fender62custom

fender62custom Tele-Holic

Very cool!!! beautiful!!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.