Custom chassis builders

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by KokoTele, Oct 1, 2021.

1. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I’m looking for someone to fabricate a custom chassis for my amp build. All the discussions I’ve found are old and I suspect the last 2 years have changed the market a bit.

Any makers that people recommend?

2. Tele Slacker

Tele Slacker Tele-Meister

KokoTele likes this.
  3. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

They use a third party fabricator. They also won't do anything custom, at least, not the last time I checked. I'll try to find the email correspondence.

For one-offs, I'd contact Synaptic on Reverb. I've had him do a couple of things for me. He has a length limit though.

Tele Slacker likes this.
  4. corliss1

corliss1 Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

5. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Check out Weber, they have a few guys that will build. They may have a list over there.

6. Phrygian77

Screenshot_20211001-213221.png
    Screenshot_20211001-213010.png

7. KokoTele

I contacted him about a year ago, and he was only doing knockouts for a transformer and IEC cutout. Do you know if he’s doing more than that now?

8. Timbresmith1

Timbresmith1 Tele-Afflicted

9. Phrygian77

No, he does not.

10. Phrygian77

It's was funny, but at the same time I was thinking, "is this really how he's responding to my inquiry?"

Timbresmith1 likes this.
  11. KokoTele

Looks like Carey at Juicy Amps is going to be the way to go. He does it with CNC and can do all the holes. Guessing about $75 for a chassis about the size of a Princeton Reverb.

12. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sorry, I got that wrong, I thought you wanted someone to build an amp, not a chassis.

13. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

Had a very bad experience with him, I know another builder who did as well. He took my money and didn't deliver a chassis to my specs, the one he did deliver was inside-out and had other defects. He was obligated to correct the issue but I never received a chassis nor a refund. He told me at the time he was quitting the custom chassis thing due to frustration of failing to meet customer expectations. Really disappointing, some competency issues there, cannot recommend.

14. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

PS I have all my chassis made in China now. You can find sheet metal vendors via Alibaba.com, many willing to run just a single chassis. Laser cut, powder coated, silkscreened single chassis might be around $50, as usual shipping from China tends to be the worst part. But door-to-door around $100 is darn good for a single chassis, hell I used to pay $90 for those blank Synaptic chassis shipped, those have no holes in there and that's before faceplates (add another $50) and no powdercoating.

Jewellworks likes this.
  15. KokoTele

How do they ship them to you? Do they come by air? I'm worried about ordering such a thing and then having it sit in a shipping container for three months (or more).

jsnwhite619 and sds1 like this.
  16. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

Air freight yeah, FedEx or DHL. It comes pretty fast. I plan for a month from initial contact with the factory to delivery. Say about a week to get the order quoted, paid, and initiated, 2 weeks for fabrication, a week in shipping. Somewhere in that ballpark, unless you run into a Chinese holiday.

17. wangdaning

wangdaning Tele-Meister

Yeah, if you know what you want and have a decent blueprint the Chinese metal workers will do it very well. My bassman micro chassis, which is a blackface bassman chassis was less than 50 USD. If I had given the hole sizes they would have done them as well. chassis.jpg

sds1 likes this.
  18. KokoTele

Can you guys tell me what vendors you used?

sds1 likes this.
  19. sds1

sds1 Tele-Afflicted

Sure, I sent PM.

20. chas.wahl

chas.wahl Tele-Meister

I just received a 5E3-ish chassis that I designed and had fabricated by Terry at Seaside Music in Nova Scotia ( https://seasidechassisdesign.com ). He was very communicative, and did a very nice job with a 14 gauge aluminum unit (he also advertises 16 gauge aluminum and 18 gauge steel).

Unfortunately, I made an error in the drawing I gave him, which as someone who deals with amps regularly he might have second-guessed and notified me about; but didn't. It's not unrecoverable, and the fault is mine.

Workmanship from Seaside was quite good, if not factory-production-line-perfect. What may dissuade some people is that he doesn't do all the holes: only the octal and noval tubes, the IEC cutout and the PT cutout. All the rest I'll have to finish with a step-bit. The price was very reasonable for custom work. Construction was a C-shaped channel, with separate end pieces folded, inserted and bolted using countersunk-head screws; very well done.

Jewellworks and sds1 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.