Custom build with tru oil on body

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by cooperl1, Sep 15, 2013.

1. cooperl1

cooperl1 TDPRI Member

Hello everyone - I just joined TDPRI but have been reading posts for quite a while. This really is a pretty fantastic community!

I have a question that has driven me to finally post. I am currently about to begin finishing a stratocaster build (sorry! my dad is finishing a telecaster though, if that makes up for it) that is a semi-hollow mahogany body with maple caps on the back and front. I am leaning towards lightly staining the body with my own version of amber, sanding back a bit, and then using tru oil to finish the body. Has anyone done something like this before?

I know that tru oil on necks is a pretty common thing to do because it looks and feels great, but I haven't seen many people do bodies with it. I have done a few test pieces (and it looks good), but I am still undecided...

If everything goes well, I might post some pictures later!

2. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

obviously a body is a bigger area to cover it will be a challenge ! a friend of mine once tried to do a gibson studio with tru oil the mahogany drank that stuff up i'm pretty sure if he had sealed the body 1st it would not of turned into such a mess

3. bob1234

bob1234 Tele-Afflicted

Seal with shellac and pumice first, then do your tru oil.

4. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This is a pine Esquire that I built, it's got probably ten to fifteen coats of Tru-Oil on the body, it's one of my favorite builds:

[​IMG]

My son is working on a Catalpa Telecaster / Jaguar mix that he calls the TeleGwar. If memory serves it has two coats of sealer on it and four coats of Tru-Oil in this photo:

[​IMG]

One of my current projects is a coffee bean Telecaster with a Walnut contrast stripe, and it's going to get a Tru-Oil finish. It's good stuff.

5. cooperl1

cooperl1 TDPRI Member

Hmm. I had hoped the tru-oil would seal the mahogany. If I have to seal the mahogany with something else, thank goodness it is just a stripe on the side of the guitar!

The pine Esquire looks fantastic! Same with the "TeleGwar". I love that slight tint the tru oil has to it.

Have you ever had to touch up the body on your Esquire? I have heard that necks done with tru oil need to be touched up periodically. I'm tempted to hit my body with a few coats of nitro after I am done with the tru oil to prevent this.

6. dsutton24

dsutton24 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I suppose the Pine is about three years old now, never had a problem. The Tru-Oil cures hard as blazes, I think you'd have to play for a long time before you wore through it. I've used it now on, probably, eight necks or so, and haven't had a problem.

The Catalpa body was really porous, and my son (Lunchie here on TDPRI) used Birchwood Casey's sealer before the Tru-Oil went on. Here's his thread:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-home-depot/412299-anyone-have-catalpa-tele-pics-wanted.html

7. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, the bit of research I have done, it seems like most people dont use the sealer. I was sort of using Colts suggestion on this thread to use it to help pop the grain. I only did two coats of the sealer, I am not all that concerned about having it completely smooth. I just want it good and protected for when I drop it on my foot or spill my Diet Caffeine Free Mountain Dew down the front of it.

8. roffe

roffe Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

This is made from ash, stained black (methanol based) and with 8-10 coats of tru-oil. I wanted the grain showing through so I didn't fill it. I can't say how well it will hold up, but working with the tru-oil was easy and it gives a nice semi-gloss finish.

9. custom/59

custom/59 Banned

[​IMG] this is done with cordovan transtint under tru oil. Its an adler body. I sanded with green scotch bright padr in between tru oil coats

10. twick

twick Tele-Meister

That looks great! Is the wolf a sticker, or inlay?

11. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

I used it on last years Challenge build and have been very impressed. Much more durable than I expected. We gig 6 to 8 times a month and it's held up extremely well with essentially no wear other than dings and scratches, and not many of them.

12. Bri-Sonic

Bri-Sonic Tele-Meister

Tru Oil's not just for satin - with just a little effort you can polish it up to a full gloss, without any "plastic-y" look.

And before anyone asks - it's Australia!

[​IMG]
    Aussiecaster. by The Guitarsmith, on Flickr

13. bob1234

bob1234 Tele-Afflicted

No oil will seal mahagony. Use pumice and shellac, then oil over top of that.

14. Skub

Skub Friend of Leo's

I tru oiled a strat and an Esquire body and neck,I love working with the stuff.

Excellent TeleOz Bri-Sonic,very cool.

[​IMG]

15. rip_topaz

rip_topaz Tele-Meister

I dig it. Looks like it would be comfortable to play sitting.

16. backporch guy

backporch guy Tele-Afflicted

Tru Oil, as has been stated before in this forum, is a finish designed for wood gunstocks, so it's supposed to be able to take a pretty good beating. You can fill the grain by wetsanding between coats with the Tru Oil, leaving the residue on as a slurry which fills the grain as you wet sand. The shellac with pumice works, also, as does the Seal;er made to go with the Tru Oil. Lot's of different ways to skin this cat!

17. cooperl1

cooperl1 TDPRI Member

I really like the hue that the tru oil gives the alder in this body. It looks fantastic.

I'm also digging the way that strat looks with the tru oil.

This is all making me think twice about staining before I use the tru oil...

18. cooperl1

cooperl1 TDPRI Member

Here's a picture of what I'm working with at the moment:

foto.jpg

19. custom/59

custom/59 Banned

the wolf is a waterslide decal that i ordered and then covered with the tru oil

20. custom/59

custom/59 Banned

I have am ash body i am currently working on and i tell ya if i wasnt jonesin for a rootbeer finish right now, id cordovan dye it and tru oil her up. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.