Custom Body Thinline

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Missing Link, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Missing Link

Missing Link Tele-Meister

Anyone know where I maybe able to find a Ash body like the Telecaster Deluxe JA-90 like the picture shows.
    I played one not long ago and I did like it with the P-90s but I do not like a guitar were the neck is part of the body.
    So hence I am looking for a body I can finish myself but have the option of necks and love the Gibson bridge.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's

So Les Paul components on a tele thinline body? Warmth or any of the other custom component makers should be able to accommodate as well as many here on the forum. Cost may be another factor.

Eric

3. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Warmoth

4. Missing Link

All the above mentioned have no sets at this time and after a fair amount of web crawling in looking for a possible solution I have come up negative. No DIY Thinline kit bodies in this style or templates.
    So with that said it looks as I will have to make some time this winter and just build a JA-90 copy from scratch but with the option to install a neck preference.

Cheers guys

5. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

The combination of a Fender style neck (zero angle, 1/4 overstand) and Tune-o-matic bridges and tailpieces don't work well together. It can be made to work, usually either putting a bit of angle on the neck or recessing the studs, but it will be rare to find exactly what you want. I believe Warmoth will do it but you will need to work thru their wizard. You will also need the back control cavity big enough for four pots and the switch in the upper bass bout. Remember also that ToM bridges are almost always 12 inch radius, most Fender necks are smaller (again, Warmoth can do it but you need to make sure of what you are getting.

6. Missing Link

I completely understand your concerns points and I am well aware of the negative issues while using a Tune-o-matic bridge.
    I have now built two style's of Telecaster's using the ToM system along with a non fixed Fender style neck and it can be tricky but both are outstanding playing guitars.
    I do still like the standard Telecaster bridges but like to step out the box once and awhile.
    As I mentioned I am not a fan of fixed guitar necks, mostly due to the not so ease of servicing or replacement. I have never made a F hole thin line telecaster before so this will be a small challenge along with a ToM bridge were a Bigsby will be included. I have started the details on paper and will be buying the wood next week but will not have time to start the build until November sometime. Will post details and schematics.

Cheers

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.