Custom Amp Chassis

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by nivagator, Nov 10, 2016.

1. nivagator

nivagator TDPRI Member

I've picked up the empty shell of a late 70s Mesa Boogie Mark II amp for next to nothing. It has a slanted chassis shape like a blackface Fender. I was hoping I could find a Fender chassis close enough in size to use, but it looks like it's taller than most blackface chassis 1.75" vs 2.5"

Where would be the best place to order custom chassis work? Its 17" wide, 2.5" tall and 9" deep at the widest point.

Thanks

2. beezerboy

beezerboy Tele-Meister

3. Wooly Mammoth

Wooly Mammoth TDPRI Member

How custom does it need to be? If it has to be custom made its very expensive. Rapid prototype manufacturing was insanely expensive (almost $300) for a very simple chassis design I made in Solidworks. I didn't even put the holes and transformer cutouts in it, just the chassis.

Here is a link to Hammond's aluminum line: http://www.hammondmfg.com/dwg21.htm

You can order them at Mouser.com I would highly recommend building your combo cab around your chassis if possible. Unfortunately I ended up purchasing a Matchless mini cab because it was what I found and a 16.3" wide chassis is not available. I did find the 16" after I custom made my 16.3 at work but not everyone has access to sheet metal bending machines at work. Even with the machines it was tricky because I had to cut a metal forming piece and use clamps and a hammer to get the last bends in place.

4. Dan Miller

Dan Miller Tele-Meister

5. CoyotesGator

CoyotesGator Tele-Holic

6. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

In Texas, there's got to be a sheet-metal fabricator... Check with the HVAC contractors - they need sheet metal work from time to time....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.