Custom 50's style Flying V

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by joekumpan3, Jan 3, 2017.

1. joekumpan3

joekumpan3 Friend of Leo's

I peeled the tape off of the skull inlay and cleaned the area surrounding it of Hyde glue boogers. The old brown glue stays soft for a few days when it is in a gob. That is the only thing that I don't like about it. My scale died so I don't have a way to measure my granulated dry Hyde glue. I will get one before I have to glue the neck on though. Anyway....ready to fill the cavities of the inlays. image.jpeg
    The inlay company recommends not using 5min epoxy but two ton epoxy instead so that's what I got. I laid out a glop, mixed it then put some black mixol in it. image.jpeg
    Then I poked the epoxy into the cracks and speed it a bunch of ways to make sure it was all stuffed in there. image.jpeg
    I had extra so I put some along the seam of the added edge piece. Now it has to sit for about 12 hrs to cure. image.jpeg

2. Davecam48

Davecam48 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Brilliant build and awesome skills Joe! Your attention to detail is top shelf!

DC

3. joekumpan3

Thank you very much!

4. joekumpan3

I VERY lightly sanded the face of the headstock on the bench belt sander, just until the pear was all showing. image.jpeg
    The detail looks really good but the eyes are sunk in just a little. I'm going to leave it as is though because it actually look kind of cool like it is. image.jpeg
    Then I put a light coat of black stain as a base for the black lacquer on the headstock. It looks pretty good. image.jpeg

2blue2, awasson and MoMo_the_Peach like this.
  5. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Wow... just wow!

I was watching this part with a lot of interest. I wasn't sure how that was going to turn out with the epoxy filling and colour matching but it's perfect! I have too many projects I have to finish up first but I really want to try something like this soon.

6. joekumpan3

Thank you. I'm going to spray a thin coat of black over the headstock too and scrape the portion over the inlay off with a razor. The black stain helps me to not need as much colored lacquer. It will be nice and thin and easy to remove that way. I will take a good picture to use as a reference for scraping. I does look kind of cool as is though, it almost matches the unstained fretboard. I will get ready for the binding next.

awasson likes this.
  7. joekumpan3

I am toying with the idea of a hand rubbed tobacco burst. This is straight keda yellow, brown and black in water rubbed on a piece of scrap from the body. image.jpeg
    The color dulls when it dries so I hit it with a shot of stringed instrument lacquer and the color perked right up. image.jpeg image.jpeg
    So for this process it would be stain, sealer, grain filler, sanding sealer then clear coat. I would worry a little about the color under the sanding sealer but I think it will be ok.

awasson likes this.
  8. joekumpan3

I made a small piece of binding to get an idea of how it will look. Here is the headstock with it. image.jpeg
    I tried to get a few angles to check with the body colors. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

9. joekumpan3

Here is my color test piece in the daylight, I like it. image.jpeg image.jpeg

10. joekumpan3

I have to pretty much finish sand the body and headstock before I route them for binding.
    image.jpeg
    I don't want to sand The binding once it is installed to avoid scratching it so much. I sanded the body a bunch and raised the grain with some water so here is a shot while it was wet. image.jpeg image.jpeg

HairyChapter and 2blue2 like this.
  11. joekumpan3

I put some grain filler on and will let it sit for a day or two then sanding seal it. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

12. joekumpan3

The little piece on the end that I had to add had a little crack where the glue didn't squeeze out. I filled it with gel superglue and sanded it down. Sucks but oh well I couldn't waste the body. image.jpeg

13. joekumpan3

I made a little block to aim the drill bit for a 50's style v. I also have a doorbell hanger 1/4" bit to go from the neck pocket to the jack hole. image.jpeg image.jpeg

14. joekumpan3

And I get holes like this. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

15. joekumpan3

I routed the binding channel and rear round over today. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

16. joekumpan3

The short piece of test binding that I laminated would not bend at all. I heated it with a heat gun to see how it would bend especially around the shoulder corner. It deforms some and takes a bit of heat. image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    I will laminar the thinner two bindings and attach them then add the thicker one later.

17. joekumpan3

My test piece is promising. I shot some lacquer over the sealer and all but a hole and deep crack disappeared. I think doing a hand rubbed burst will work fine. image.jpeg
    I want to test the ebony to see how it looks without dye and only Behlens fretboard oil. This is dry. image.jpeg
    And wet. image.jpeg
    I think it will look great natural.

18. joekumpan3

I guess I'm taking on a bit of a VF-84 theme here. image.jpeg image.jpeg

Barncaster likes this.
  19. joekumpan3

I took a large piece of my scrap pickguard material and sanded and polished it. I even tried to use some heat to bring the shine back but it doesn't look very good. I'm going to order some shiny black Gibson style 5 ply pickguard material.

20. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Where did you source your binding in post #76?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.