Custom 50's style Flying V

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by joekumpan3, Jan 3, 2017.

1. joekumpan3

joekumpan3 Friend of Leo's

While I stew on the pickup possibilities I will start drilling out the holly headstock veneer cavities for the inlays and truss rod nut. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Once the dots are all connected I can trim the cavities with a razor.
    image.jpeg

2. joekumpan3

I'll check as I go to see how everything fits. This looks pretty good. image.jpeg
    I have to trim a little more for the skull. I have to be careful too that the cross bone that is two pieces stays straight. image.jpeg
    It fits now. image.jpeg
    It's got gaps around it but that's ok the epoxy filler will take care of that. It's pretty tight in there too and the thickness is just about the same as the holly. Really nice inlays. image.jpeg
    image.jpeg

3. joekumpan3

The holly is pretty sturdy but these tight little areas are tough. I lost a little chunk in the cross bars of the K. image.jpeg
    And the center of the J didn't have enough strength to hold on. image.jpeg image.jpeg
    I put the center of the J in a small ziplock an will put it in when I glue the holly on.

4. joekumpan3

Since the inlays fit tightly I will press them in right before I glue the holly on. That will eliminate anything drying funny and having to trim again. image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Everything looks pretty lined up and centered, I think it will be good.
    image.jpeg

Southpole, awasson and paulmarr like this.
  5. joekumpan3

I marked the centerline of the fretboard today and started marking for the dot markers. I also marked the sides with my fret template. image.jpeg image.jpeg

6. joekumpan3

I have been trying to decide which style of last marker I want. I don't really like the single dot on the 24th fret. image.png
    Or the double dot on the 24th. image.jpeg
    Skipping them all together looks ok, but a bit naked. image.jpeg

7. joekumpan3

I am not sure if I will do a first fret dot as a kind of nod to the custom. It looks kind of cool but it's still a maybe. image.jpeg
    I am also leaning toward a dot on the 23rd fret. image.jpeg
    It would give a feel of a Gibson better and retain this type of look. image.png

8. joekumpan3

Here it is without the extra two dots, 23rd and 1st. image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Here is the dot as a single on the 24th. Not too bad. image.jpeg
    Hmm, got to think about it a little.

9. joekumpan3

I band sawed the fretboard to shape and used my large belt sander/disc sander to finish the edges and end. You can't really tell here but it's done. image.jpeg
    I decided to do a 1st fret marker and 23rd just to be different. Starting at the 23rd. image.jpeg

10. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

I'm transfixed. If I could build it out of legos, maybe, but this is awesome.

Southpole and joekumpan3 like this.
  11. joekumpan3

Since I used the sander to finish the fretboard sides my center line is off by just a hair. I am double checking each dot position before I drill try are all basically just touching one side of the line all the way down. I poke the center of the forstner bit before I drill that way it's easy to locate when I drill. image.jpeg
    Ok it's looking pretty good. I think I really like the grey stripes in the fretboard.
    image.jpeg

lbridenstine likes this.
  12. joekumpan3

Thank you very much. You may possibly be on to something there, a Lego guitar! Hmmm......

TMMC likes this.
  13. joekumpan3

Ok so I set the depth on my fret saw so the small .20 binding/inlay will just stick ou a little. image.jpeg
    I clamped a little guide to the bench and using the 1/8" thickness of the depth gauge ( plexiglass screwed to the side of the saw) carefully started a cut the entire length of the board.
    image.jpeg
    Like this, then I flipped it around and did the other side.
    image.jpeg

Attached Files:

14. joekumpan3

Ok so I set the depth on my fret saw so the small .20 binding/inlay will just stick ou a little. View attachment 399104
    I clamped a little guide to the bench and using the 1/8" thickness of the depth gauge ( plexiglass screwed to the side of the saw) carefully started a cut the entire length of the board.
    View attachment 399106
    Like this, then I flipped it around and did the other side.
    View attachment 399107

15. joekumpan3

I'm having problems with ads for games closing my page out. It keeps double posting, annoying!

16. joekumpan3

Alright, fretboard cutting is done. image.jpeg
    You may have noticed that I didn't cut a slot across at the end of the fretboard to join the two bindings. I was going to but I would have little slots to fill in and the to corners would be little 1/8" x 1/8" squares that even if I filled them might break so I'm going to leave this as a racing tripe look.ill test the fit of everything.i have to run some sandpaper through part of the slots it's a little tight but that is good. image.jpeg
    5 dots in front of the 12th and 5 after.
    image.jpeg
    Once I glue the dots and binding in then I will run the radius sanding block over real quick and then cut the binding out of the fret slots. image.jpeg

lbridenstine and Mat UK like this.
  17. joekumpan3

I glued the dots in with superglue, it's not exactly traditional but what the heck. image.jpeg
    One cool thing that looks like it will work out well is the inside stripe of the headstock binding will look like it is carrying on down through the neck. image.jpeg

18. joekumpan3

While the dots dry I heated up some old brown glue, it's liquid Hyde glue. image.jpeg
    Got all the pieces I need together and clamps ready. image.jpeg slathered glue and positioned all the holly pieces. image.jpeg i covered it with wax paper and the headstock template then clamped it all down. image.jpeg image.jpeg

19. devrock

devrock TDPRI Member

Holy cow, this is fun to watch. I'm just now starting my very first V (all mahogany, KK Downing replica). My next one is going to be limba, like yours. Just haven't decided on a V or Explorer yet. Can't wait to see how this turns out!

20. joekumpan3

Thank you very much. A mahogany 67' style V will be cool, those are actually my favorite style. Are you going to copy KK's V exactly? image.png

Southpole likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.