Custom 50's style Flying V

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by joekumpan3, Jan 3, 2017.

1. joekumpan3

joekumpan3 Friend of Leo's

Thank you, I hope it works. I always seem to have a problem in this area.

2. joekumpan3

I have to move the solder joint on the tone pot it is too close to the edge and it is pushing the pickguard forward a little. There is no wiggle room at that end, it's an easy fix though. I also plugged in to an amp and tapped a small screwdriver on the poles, there is sound.

awasson likes this.
  3. joekumpan3

I moved the solder joint so that the pickguard fits better, just that little bit was hanging it up.
    IMG_4464.JPG
    I put some zip ties to hold the 5 wire and 3 wire leads steady since the connections are so delicate.
    IMG_4465.JPG IMG_4466.JPG
    I plugged in and was getting no sound, I found that wiggling the plug made it work. I unscrewed the jack to see what was going on and the plug was hitting the braided wire in there so I redid the way it was connected ( also vintage Gibson style).
    IMG_4467.JPG

4. joekumpan3

I drilled some holes for the pickup ring and screwed it down. IMG_4468.JPG
    These are bad pictures of the color but it's almost done. IMG_4469.JPG IMG_4470.JPG
    I put string on and plugged it in, it sounds terrible. It is very bassy and the more I messed around with it I notice that the tone dose t do anything. I think that it is all the way on. I checked wiring diagrams and everything looks ok even with the wacky way the capacitor is wired. What I'm guessing is the excess of the braided wire from the jack is hitting the lug that the cap is soldered to. I'm pretty sure that is what the case will be. The only braid that I didn't put spaghetti tubing on too. I will have to check it in the morning. I can't imagine that both pickups sound this bad, there is realitivly no sparkle at all. It looks cool though. Sounds cool not plugged in too.

darkforce, awasson and tintag27 like this.
  5. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Could it be the cord plug's tip touching the braided wire at the bottom of the cavity when plugging the guitar in?

6. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Wow!

...And just like that, she's done.

That's got a real vintage look to it. Nice job as usual. The wiring looks nice and neat too. Everything looks great and I can't wait to hear a sound clip.

Southpole likes this.
  7. joekumpan3

That is what happened when there was no noise, I mean music, comming out. I checked anyway but the way I added the black sleeved wire eliminated that problem. When I did that I pulled all the excess into the control cavity I believe that is what created my problem. There is about 3 1/2" of slack and where the ground on the pot and the hole to the jack cavity are create a little knot right there.

8. joekumpan3

Almost......
    And thank you very much. The night time whole guitar pictures look really green and faded, the close up pictures are a good representation of its true color.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  9. joekumpan3

So this morning I checked out what Zepfan was suggesting and it looked ok, the braided portion was only sticking out of the channel hole about 1/8". I figured the easiest way to check if the jack wire was shorting somewhere in the cavity was to pull the excess back to the jack side and plug it in. When I tried to pull the excess back through, without removing the pickguard, it wouldn't budge. I didn't want to pull too hard just in case it was tangelos in there so I unscrewed the pickguard and lifted it up and pulled lightly. It came through, it must be really tight in there, I knew I should have put spaghetti tubing on it. I'm going to unsolder the jack and put some on at both ends, the control cavity and jack hole. This cavity was designed for minimum wood removal and compared to a Les Paul has about 1/2 the space. Anyway I plugged in really quick to see if the sparkle was there and it sounds like it is. I turned the tone knob and it functions now, in fact I turned it to zero and that seems like the sound I was getting. Stay tuned......

AAT65 and callasabra like this.
  10. joekumpan3

Ok everything seems to be straightened out in the input and controls department. I haven't set the inotation yet or filed the string slots into the bridge yet nor have I conditioned the fretboard. I did plug in and play a little yesterday and wasn't quite sure I was in love with the tone of the bridge pickup, and the neck is super beefy, almost too much so. Earlier barncaster had some advice....

After hearing my neck pickup I believe I will unwind some of it and bring it down, maybe not as low in winds as he does but by quite a bit. I'll go for around 7k ohms. I might also need a treble bleed on the neck pot too it seems to loose clarity when the volume is rolled down.

As far as not being in love with the bridge pickup I was playing at low volume on a 50 watt jcm 900 mkIII both with the gain rolled off and at medium gain. It was ok, until I turned up the amp volume..... then, wham! The thing smokes, it sound good clean, heavily distorted and dropped tuning. The coil split and parallel come in handy too. Both pickups sound pretty good together now but if I clear up the neck some it will be much better.

awasson and Southpole like this.
  11. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Funny the P90 is the one that has too much on it. You'd think the bucker would be the one to us have to tame. Can't wait to hear it.

12. joekumpan3

Yeah, you would think. The bridge is pretty loud but the neck is really fat and loud.

13. joekumpan3

I got out my cheapie fender frontman 15 to listen to the pickups crystal clean and the neck sounds pretty good but I will still unwind it some. The bridge sounds pretty good too, a little bright but good. The middle however sounds like the pickups are out of phase. I started to wonder if I hooked up some leads or anything wrong so I went back and read the pickup winding section of this thread and to look at the pictures.sure enough, I wound the humbucker with the top of the bobbin on the left side arm of the winder which is the same as the bottom side on the right arm, which is correct. However, I wound the p90 on the right side with the top facing the arm which is the exact opposite of the humbucker. Since I have to unwind a little I will switch the leads around at the beginning of the lead wire. I don't think I need to flip the magnet. IMG_4473.PNG IMG_4474.PNG

14. joekumpan3

I'm going to work on the p90 by undoing it at its lead connection at the pickup. I don't want to pull too much slack into the pickup cavity because it's got the ground wire attached to it. IMG_4476.JPG
    I undid the connections.
    IMG_4477.JPG
    I took off a couple of hundred turns at a time and measured the resistance. I ended up taking off 1000 turns and the resistance is now down to 7.4K. IMG_4478.JPG
    After it's haircut I taped it all back up and connected the leads backwards from the way they were before, this way it can be hooked up the correct way in the cavity. I chose to do it on the p90 not the wiring from the humbucker because I didn't want the screw coil to be the single coil, it is already bright enough. IMG_4479.JPG
    After I reinstalled the pickup I plugged in and tried it it was much better. I'm glad I discovered the out of phase and that I unwound the p90. I think I still need to install treble bleeds on the volumes as soon as I turn the the volumes they both get really bassy. I've never had a guitar that did that as much as this one does. Maybe it's the vintage taper cts pots or the 50's wiring, I don't know.

15. joekumpan3

I spent part of last night looking into treble modifications for volume pots. I watched a few YouTube videos about them and sound clips, I learned that there are three types all similar and all have slightly different perks. Stewmac sells the one on the left ready made for @ $7 which is a little too much for what it is and that's not including shipping to Hawaii. IMG_4481.JPG
    After listening and reading about them I found the Kinman to be what I'm pretty sure I need. IMG_4482.PNG
    Our local radio shack is closing down and I thought I could go and snag some supplies for cheap but they were all gone. I will have to mail order, there may be an electronics seller here but I don't have the time to go find it.

16. joekumpan3

I went to order from one of the sites I use for pickup parts and some other things and when I went to check out they wanted $31 for shipping two resistors and two capacitors that cost around $4. I can't do it. In case none of you know Alaska and Hawaii get jacked on shipping unless it's the U.S. Postal service. Anyway I looked at another very well known supplier and the shipping was more reasonable but the parts were generic, so I looked at a third supplier. The parts were pretty good, a little more than I was going to spend but the shipping was reasonable so for about the same price I got premium caps and resistors. IMG_4483.PNG IMG_4484.PNG
    Probably overkill for this simple circuit but what the heck. I als just realized that I ordered 120 ohm instead of 120k ohm resistors, I emailed them and hopefully they will catch it before they ship the order.

Mat UK likes this.
  17. joekumpan3

According to what I read there is an in and out with this since it is in series everything shows the resistor on the outside lug but my hot wire is on the inside so I will wire it that way. IMG_4485.GIF IMG_4486.JPG

18. joekumpan3

I have correct parts comming for treble bleed circuits for the volume pots, they should be here in a couple of days. In the meantime I've been reading a lot on tdpri and the various other forums about 50's wiring and various things that go with it, just trying to get a handle on why the volume seems so fuzzy when rolled down. Again it's much more dramatic than any of my other guitars. The 50's wirings basic description is that the in and out of the volume pot is reversed and the tone is wired after the volumes. It is supposed to retain clairity and treble better.

My wiring seems to be ok but I did read a post saying that the true vintage taper pots or TVT's go better with this version of wiring. I'm not sure if this is totally accurate or not. I was under the impression that my cts pots that I installed were TVT, but as I look at them I don't believer they are. I had ordered them from Allparts way back when I first was building this guitar, probably about 5 years ago. It turns out that they are "vintage style" whatever that means. I think that just means they have a dent in the backs, not the taper. Anyway I didn't even think to check that they weren't vintage tapered. I can find no info on the specs for them nor any reviews, I might email them just out of curiosity. I knew that they turn nicely, not as stiff as some of the others I've used. They also read quite a bit lower for 500k's. IMG_4490.JPG IMG_4491.JPG
    I feel a little duped but really it's my mistake for not thourgouly checking. Here is what the shaft looks like.
    IMG_4492.JPG
    This is from a vendor that sells TVT pots.
    IMG_4493.JPG
    I think I'm just going to leave them for now since everything is all soldered up. They are CTS pot and they are nice. Im going to order a few TVT pots just in case the treble bleed doesn't do it for me, I might order a no load tone too if I'm going to change the pots.

19. joekumpan3

Anyway with all of that being said, I am just being a little picky. If I'm going to build a guitar from scratch it should be exactly the way I want it which is the whole point of doing it.

mojocasterman likes this.
  20. mojocasterman

mojocasterman Friend of Leo's

Could not agree more!

joekumpan3 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.