Custom 50's style Flying V

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by joekumpan3, Jan 3, 2017.

1. joekumpan3

joekumpan3 Friend of Leo's

The strings just happen to line up perfectly with the little stripes on the fretboard. IMG_4407.JPG
    You can't really see the bass side one from straight on IMG_4408.JPG
    But we know it's there IMG_4409.JPG

2. joekumpan3

I would have moved the tailpiece backwards on my 58' V but the ground wire goes to the treble side post, for that reason I think I am going to run the ground to the tailpiece fender style. I think that will work well especially since the tailpiece is removable.

3. joekumpan3

I had a thought after I drilled the post holes that I should put all the strings on and make sure that it still keeps inotation. My problem the first time around was I changed the nut height after I set the bridge, this time around the nut is already good. It's a little high but it combined with the ebony board sounds great acoustically. I'm going to need to adjust the truss rod a little and I'm going to have to modify the pickguard here, where the bottom of the bridge hits the pickguard. I'm not sure exactly how I will do it but it has to be thinned under the bridge, maybe router it? I don't want it to chip out though maybe just forstner bit and razor or just totally cut it off. I'll sleep on it. IMG_4413.JPG

4. joekumpan3

I tapped the two outside strings with a hammer to mark their place when I set the inotation, I'll do the same with the other strings now. Since I have it I'll check with my nut slot ruler. IMG_4414.JPG

5. joekumpan3

The thumb wheel is about as thick as the pickguard.
    IMG_4415.JPG
    After measuring and thinking it all over I'm just going to remove the pickguard under the bridge and thumbscrew. I have to go a little bigger than the thumbscrew with the forstner bit to have room to move it if it goes low. This is a good size. IMG_4416.JPG
    I put tape about 1/16" from the bottom of the bridge as a guide to cut along. It looks farther away in the picture but that is because of the black reflection on the side. IMG_4417.JPG
    You can see here that the forstner bit will stick out of the side of the pickguard and there is not much left after. IMG_4418.JPG IMG_4419.JPG

6. joekumpan3

I used the post hole as the guide for the point on the forstner bit and cut a hole. IMG_4420.JPG
    I removed the tiny area of pickguard left with a razor saw. IMG_4421.JPG
    It looks like this now. IMG_4422.JPG

7. joekumpan3

Now it fits like this. IMG_4423.JPG IMG_4424.JPG IMG_4425.JPG IMG_4427.JPG
    I don't exactly need the bridge to go that low, but now I have much better adjustability. If it gets screwed down all the way I may have to use the tip of a small screwdriver or piece of wire to get it back up. With the pickup in place it looks almost the same as it did before.
    IMG_4426.JPG

Southpole and Arch Stanton like this.
  8. joekumpan3

I'm going to try to wire the pickguard up tonight. I installed the components onto the pickguard. I like the black micro switch, it is nearly invisible. I usually like bell knobs but I'm going with the speed knob type like the LP custom. One small twist that I will do is I like my bridge pickup volume first in line since I use it most it's easier to grab. I'll put the neck volume in the middle.
    IMG_4431.JPG IMG_4432.JPG

A.B.Negative, awasson and Zepfan like this.
  9. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

It's looking good Joe!!

10. OtherJMac

OtherJMac Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I'd remove the pointy bit from your cutout on the pickup-facing side. Just looks kinda weird hanging out like that.

11. joekumpan3

Thank you. It has some fugly spots, but it feels good and sounds great acoustically so far.

12. joekumpan3

Maybe, but I don't think I'd like the daylight showing in that little spot between the pickup ring and the bridge, I think that will look more funny.

13. joekumpan3

I didn't get to soldering last night, I only got to put spaghetti tubing on my Russian cap. IMG_4433.JPG

14. joekumpan3

I drew a sketch of the wiring for my first V. IMG_4437.JPG
    It is basically like this. IMG_4438.PNG
    I want to try to keep everything nice and tidy without wires going everywhere. I like how the original Gibson uses the braid of the jack wire to ground across all the pots.

15. joekumpan3

It would be more tidy if I run the middle knob as the bridge volume but it won't be as functional to play like that so I will have to think about it. One thing is the capacitor is huge and with the micro switch there it is very cramped to run it from one lug to the back of the pot, I think I will tr this, and stretch it out. I have never seen one actually wired like this. IMG_4435.JPG
    If I do use the middle knob as the bridge volume it is much closer to the micro switch and way easier to wire up. Just the red and green and bare wire come off the switch. IMG_4430.PNG
    Here is a quick sketch with the bridge as the first knob. It looks messy but it's not that bad really. IMG_4434.JPG

awasson and Southpole like this.
  16. joekumpan3

I chose to go the route of running the ground wire to the bridge post for a few reasons. First it's cool and vintage, second my drill bit was too short and my long one was too large in diameter, last my 58' has an uneven little area around the point of the tailpiece and it has a little ring to it when you listen closely, I didn't want that to happen here. So I stripped braided push back wire and ran the inside through my hole. Multi strand wire is easier to use here than solid.
    IMG_4446.JPG
    I shoved the part sticking out into the hole with a drill bit.
    IMG_4447.JPG
    I use a switch tip to screw the post in, it works pretty well.
    IMG_4448.JPG
    I'll screw the thumb wheel on and run the wire through the bridge lead hole into the cavity.
    IMG_4449.JPG

17. joekumpan3

I can put the tailpiece back on now.
    IMG_4451.JPG
    I took the black cloth pushback that I stripped off and cut it to size and slipped it back over just to keep it clean.
    IMG_4452.JPG

Southpole likes this.
  18. joekumpan3

Normally the ground wire would go to the bridge pickup braid in this type of setup. Gibson used to solder it there in the pickup cavity and for V's and bigsby equipped guitars. To maintain a vintage theme and since the wire is a little shorter than I would like, I'll wrap it around the neck pickup braid in between the black spaghetti tubing. It will be a little bit of a pain if I wasn't to remove the neck pickup but that's ok. IMG_4458.JPG

19. joekumpan3

I think that should do it. You can see the black wire comming into the micro switch from the left, that is the bridge 5 wire lead I had some left over 3 wire lead left over from another project that I used to run the red, green and bare wire to the pot. I put a little piece of that stripped black cloth over the twisted portion of the bare wire everything else got soldered to their lugs. I also stretched out the capacitor like the diagram from the 50's wiring above.
    IMG_4459.JPG
    I ran the two braided wires together as much as possible they are the neck pockup lead comming down and the jack lead comming up. You will notice that I grounded the neck lead to the back of both volume pots for redundancy and to keep it out of the was as well as to keep the post from moving too much if they become loose.
    IMG_4460.JPG
    It looks pretty neat and clean, I tried to put tubing or protection around anything I could. I may try to attach the neck and bridge leads together somehow to keep if from getting pulled on.
    IMG_4461.JPG

Southpole and Revv23 like this.
  20. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Wiring looks great!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.