Custom 50's style Flying V

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by joekumpan3, Jan 3, 2017.

1. joekumpan3

joekumpan3 Friend of Leo's

I ordered a sheet of 4 ply pickguard material for the first v and squeezed out 3 pickguards, 2 white and 1 black. I made some round jack cover blanks too but I want a diamond one like the custom V I should have enough left. The guards are rough cut already which brings up a problem if I want to do a neck p90 there will be a gap between the fretboard and pickup, unless........ I use all 24 frets on the Stew Mac fretboard. I need the parts in hand though to measure though. image.jpeg
    Another problem I have is the material I got had plastic protecting the white side but the black side was very scratched and pitted like it got tossed around the shop that I bought it from. image.jpeg
    I am hoping I can sand, polish and if necessary heat gun it smooth and shiny again. I should have sent it back, oh well. Here is how close I trimmed it to the pattern, not too much wiggle room. image.jpeg

2. joekumpan3

I dug this out too, I got it for the other V too. It is a luxe repro. image.jpeg

3. joekumpan3

Two boxes in the mail today, yay! I'm trying to keep the cost down but I had order a few things, it has got to be cool too. image.jpeg
    I'll open the little box first, it's the inlays. Wholly crap! They are way nicer than I thought they would be. image.jpeg
    The ends of the bones have little details, it's going to be cool. If you hadn't noticed very slightly pirate-esque.

4. joekumpan3

The big box has, well, a ton of packing material and some other good stuff. Knobs, fret markers, gold 3 way switch, screws, p90 bobbin and baseplate, p90 ground thingy, router bearing for binding, side marker material, and some big parts. image.jpeg
    The body and headstock binding will be like this. image.jpeg
    One small one for the fretboard. image.jpeg

5. joekumpan3

More stuff from the big box. A binding laminating jig, keystone Grover tuners, and two close out v tailpieces. I made my own for the vintage style V but these were on sale and I couldn't resist. They screw in though the Gibson ones use escutcheon pins hammered into the body. The gold looks nice though, I'll probably save myself some hard work and use it, the black one is for when I make an all blacked out V. image.jpeg
    Here is the ebony fingerboard it has a cool little gray streak down it I may not dye the board and leave it. image.jpeg

6. joekumpan3

Now that I have parts in hand I can do some figuring. I took my 58' V since everything is the same and lined the fretboard up on it. I got the bobbin for the p90 and put it about 1/4" from the 24th fret. It looks like with the p90 cover on it would fit just right if I want to go that route. image.jpeg image.jpeg
    I got the fretboard binding/inlay the same thickness as fret slots so I can use my Japanese fret saw to cut the channel for it. image.jpeg

7. joekumpan3

BTW my 58' V is aging quite nicely.
    image.jpeg
    A little wear on the pickup covers.
    image.jpeg
    And it is just starting to naturally check in a few places. image.jpeg image.jpeg

Revv23, TMMC, twr1 and 2 others like this.
  8. joekumpan3

When I ordered binding I measured the circumfrence of the body and according to Stewart MacDonald it was just about the same size for a single strip of binding. There is only one way to tell though so I taped a piece on the body. If it fits then it will fit in a binding channel. image.jpeg
    So close, just a little wiggle room. I'm glad I don't have to make it separate pieces. image.jpeg

9. joekumpan3

I played with the headstock template and inlays, it looks like the skull will fit just right between the machine head bushings. The letters will be cool too. image.jpeg
    Maybe with the letters a little higher, I've got to see how far the binding will come in though. image.jpeg
    The inlays are white glued to a cardboard backer and the instructions say to put clear box tape over them and use a razor to cut the excess tape away. Then you can soak the cardboard in warm water for a bit then remove the inlay. There is no need for tape with the letters but with the skull it's 5 small pieces and placed together perfectly so it's very necessary. Once I do that then I can cut the holly and figure out exact placement.

Mat UK likes this.
  10. joekumpan3

Deleted a double post.

11. Southpole

Southpole Tele-Holic

joekumpan3 likes this.
  12. joekumpan3

I got a few more things in the mail today a set of smoked nickel humbucker covers, a 50's style CAB p90 cover Med/jumbo jescar prebent frets, and a gold output jack. image.jpeg

13. joekumpan3

I took my holly blank and made sure the edge that needs an added piece was square by giving it a quick rub on the belt sander. image.jpeg
    The little top piece from here. image.jpeg
    And will flip it to here. image.jpeg
    Then I drew a center line on the face of the holly. image.jpeg

14. joekumpan3

You cat really tell but I taped the front of the inlay so I can soak the backing off. image.jpeg
    I put the washers for the tuners on the template so I can judge the distance between them. I don't want to cover any of the inlay if I can help it. I measure and find a good spot. image.jpeg
    And measure again with the backing off. I think this is the spot for everything. image.jpeg
    Now I will have to mark the holly and cut out the cavity for these.

15. joekumpan3

I marked the locations of the inlays. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Tootle, 2blue2 and lewis like this.
  16. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I love these build threads. They're way beyond my skill set. It's like magic. You take pieces of wood and metal and copper wire and turn it into a guitar.

17. joekumpan3

Well thank you very much, I find it inspiring to watch builds too. Preeb's Les Paul thread is what got me hooked on giving building guitars a try. It's not as much voodoo as you might think just some research and planning, a few proper tools and patience. tdpri and Google help too but most of the time when you google a question TDPRI pops up first! Thanks again.

Southpole and awasson like this.
  18. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Gonna be neat!

joekumpan3 likes this.
  19. joekumpan3

I had the smoked nickel covers that I got out to check them out. If I decide to use two humbuckers they would be fine but they don't match the blackness of the p90, they a dark grey. I think I'll chuck them in the pickup supplies drawer and use them on something else. image.jpeg
    Since I can fit a p90 and have to wind it I may as well wind a humbucker too. I bought some cool stuff for my purple strat build that didn't get used so I'll incorporate that here. They match better too. image.jpeg
    I'll probably gold screes in the p90 and black slugs and gold screws in the humbucker. Kind of like this. image.jpeg
    I could also do all black on both pickups but I think the gold screws look cool especially on the humbucker with the black slugs. Here is the p90 cover with a couple of black screws to get an idea. image.jpeg
    Kinda cool too. Winding my own will depend on how much wire I have for the p90, my 42 pe spool has just a little left on it hopefully 10,000 turns. If I run out I'll skip the p90 and put the Gibson humbuckers in both positions. I'm not going to order more coil wire for a while. If there is enough for the p90 then the humbucker will be 43 pe with an AlNiCo 8 just to get a dirty fingers kind of vibe.

20. joekumpan3

I have some cold bluing stuff for guns and thought it would be cool to see how the baseplate would turn out or if it even works. image.jpeg
    Looks like it will, let's see. image.jpeg
    I'll do the whole thing. image.jpeg
    After it dried I sprayed it with some penetrating oil and rubbed it down. It's not totally black, maybe from lack of any kind of prep to it, but it's cool. It looks like I took straight out my engine compartment of my jeep. image.jpeg
    With bobbins it will be cool. image.jpeg
    I hope I have enough wire to wind the p90 I think I like this combo.

Southpole likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.