Custom 50's style Flying V

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by joekumpan3, Jan 3, 2017.

1. joekumpan3

joekumpan3 Friend of Leo's

If I don't like my alnico 8 humbucker I have a burstbucker 3 I can put in the bridge that looks cool. IMG_4374.JPG

Southpole and awasson like this.
  2. joekumpan3

I wet sanded the best I could and started to polish with medium cut mothers. IMG_4379.JPG IMG_4380.JPG
    Next I will use swirl mark remover fine cut mothers to shine it some more.

awasson likes this.
  3. joekumpan3

I will install the tailpiece, ferrels, and tuners to get ready for installing the bridge. IMG_4389.JPG IMG_4390.JPG IMG_4391.JPG IMG_4392.JPG
    I'm not quite ready to locate the bridge yet, I have to install the nut and the pickguard. The nut needs to be trimmed down a little and I have to make sure the pickguard is exactly where I want it because one of the abr-1 posts goes through it.

awasson, h2odog and callasabra like this.
  4. joekumpan3

Here it is in the light. I can't really do much about them except ignore them, so I will. IMG_4393.JPG
    It's not as bad on the body anymore.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
  5. joekumpan3

I put the switch and last pot in to align the pickguard so I can mount it. I laid the humbucker in its spot to make sure that it has some wiggle room on either side to get it just right under the strings. IMG_4394.JPG
    I mounted the jack on the plate too and centered it as best as I could then drilled holes for it. IMG_4395.JPG

6. joekumpan3

While I was drilling screw holes I did the truss rod cover too. IMG_4396.JPG

Barncaster, awasson and callasabra like this.
  7. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Looks fantastic as always.

8. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Man that's sharp!

9. joekumpan3

Thank you very much.

10. joekumpan3

Thanks Boomhauer!

11. joekumpan3

I have the Tusq XL nut that I'm going to use for this so I brought it down to the right height and elmers glued it in. IMG_4397.JPG
    If fits very tightly and should be great. I double checked with feeler gauges to see if the slots were at the right height. About .030 over the fret height is good. IMG_4398.JPG

12. joekumpan3

I went through with a straight edge and checked for high frets every three frets. I identified the areas with a sharpie that need a little attention and I will lightly bring them down individually, since the frets are mostly good and it's small areas. IMG_4399.JPG IMG_4400.JPG IMG_4401.JPG IMG_4402.JPG

13. awasson

awasson Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

There is so much awesome in those last couple of posts, I'm about to bust!

Weird little bubbles in that lacquer on the back of the headstock. I wonder what happened there? Everything else looks absolutely amazing. Beautiful guitar there!

14. joekumpan3

Well thanks! As far as the bubbles go it got worse the more I sprayed so I imagine the mix in the can was off a little or too heavy of a coat or contamination. I'm not sure. I do like the qualalac better than the stringed instrument lacquer but I have to use a preval sprayer or a gun for that. Can't get Mohawk here or many others. The sad thing is the back of the headstock looked ok when I wrote on it. Oh well. Thanks for digging it!

15. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

Joey - my favorite thing about your builds is you aren't afraid to show your mistakes. Been watching since the first one... love when you screw something up you fix it, and show how to fix it, and fix it well enough no one would have noticed had you not mentioned it. Your builds are up there with my favorite on tdpri. Thanks!

boredguy6060 and awasson like this.
  16. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

Coming in late, here, but yeehaw! That V is looking nice. I think the back of the headstock gives it some character- cool!

17. joekumpan3

Thank you, that is very kind of you to say. I personally learn a lot from mistakes, I don't like to make them but it happens. Hopefully some of this info will help others to learn from my mistakes. It has made me less afraid to work on my name brand guitars and if something ever does break. Thanks again it means a lot to me.

18. joekumpan3

Exactly! I don't mind character after a few months, the first week or two bug me though.

19. joekumpan3

I set up two e string and set the inotation. IMG_4403.JPG IMG_4404.JPG IMG_4405.JPG

20. joekumpan3

My first v the tailpiece was really far forward almost to the point that it wouldn't inotate properly. IMG_4406.JPG
    It's still pretty far forward and there isn't much of a slant to it only about 1/16" different tilting backward.
    IMG_4411.JPG IMG_4412.JPG
    I may have to use a forstner bit to make a hole for the wheel to go down some because the pickguard is so thick and so is the thumb wheel. IMG_4410.JPG

h2odog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.